Page 4 of 28 FirstFirst 1234567814 ... LastLast
    Extraordinary Member Restingvoice's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Writerblog View Post
    well They erased Catwoman being bi, if this go wrong they will find a way to only have Jon dating girls.

If he was gay, there couldn't be a way out
    Catwoman being bi isn't erased. She's just dating Batman and everyone who knows their character know they're the most popular pairing and dating a guy doesn't make you not bi

well They erased Catwoman being bi, if this go wrong they will find a way to only have Jon dating girls.

If he was gay, there couldn't be a way out
    They didn’t erase insofar as she wasn’t bi anymore. Selina’s most important relationship is just with Batman. I agree that if this ends up backfiring they’ll mainly have Jon date women with the occasional one-off boyfriend which what John Constantine does. So it won’t be erased or forgotten, they’ll just play it down.
    For when my rants on the forums just aren’t enough: https://thevindicativevordan.tumblr.com/

I really couldn’t care either way. I’m not a fan of New Coke, I mean Jon Kent.

They may have realized that they didn’t make the new Superman unique. The new Batman is black, the new Wonder Woman is indigenous, the new Flash is non-binary, etc.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post
    They didn’t erase insofar as she wasn’t bi anymore. Selina’s most important relationship is just with Batman. I agree that if this ends up backfiring they’ll mainly have Jon date women with the occasional one-off boyfriend which what John Constantine does. So it won’t be erased or forgotten, they’ll just play it down.
    Exactly. Being bi is easy to write authentically. You can be in a long-term monogamous relationship and literally never have the issue come up unless they are about to switch partners

Well, call me whatever you want to, but after 35 years, things have been going south since Bendis, and the woke final straw has happened. I’ll just stick with my Pre Flashpoint books. I’m sure my $100 that I plop down each month won’t matter much in the grand scheme, but I’m done with DC. I’m sure I’ll get plenty of crap but, hey, didn’t like him aged up, and I don’t care for this development in either book.

Quote Originally Posted by Restingvoice View Post
    Catwoman being bi isn't erased. She's just dating Batman and everyone who knows their character know they're the most popular pairing and dating a guy doesn't make you not bi
    It was erased the moment they fired the writer and decided to never touch it again, it was long before she dated Bruce again. She still dating batman? I dont think so, they parted ways.
    I disagree. people can date and still be bi. So far Selina have been straight even out of her relationship with Bruce. Even dating him she still had a one night stand with a guy.

There is ways to show people being bi even if they are on a different gender relationship.
    Last edited by Writerblog; 10-11-2021 at 01:22 PM.

Ultimate Member SiegePerilous02's Avatar

I'm indifferent to Jon and will likely remain so.

But this is the least upsetting development to come out of his existence by a wide margin. I can't imagine why anyone would be driven off over this. Superman's son (not Superman himself) who is relatively barely established as a character likes both girls AND boys? Why would this be the final straw in a sane world?

Incredible Member

Even when they change things a little you know eventually what is going to happen.

Selina is coming back to Bruce as surely as the tide goes in and out.
    Clark and Lois have had their own problems from time to time, but they
    are always going to end up together again.

It was erased the moment they fired the writer. She still dating batman? I dont think so, they parted ways.
    Let assume DC dont want Cat to bw bi so they fired the writer. They are not gonna announce this fact in soc med for fearing detractors right? Then all I have to do is keep reminding everyone on soc med that Cat is bi, and eventually there will be writer or DC higher up that acknowledge it even if it takes 20 more years

The fun part about all this fickle change is people can help determine the direction, and if there are peolle who intend to steer it the other way I just have to gather a lot more people
    Last edited by Restingvoice; 10-11-2021 at 01:27 PM.

No it won’t, c’mon man. They can’t erase their new bi Superman anymore than they can erase any other gay or minority character. What will happen is Clark might come back to Earth and keep patrolling Metropolis while Jon joins a team as their Superman. But I don’t see Jon ever getting deaged or losing the title. You’ve got Peter and Miles as Spidey, Steve and Sam as Cap, Bruce and Dick were even both Batman for a while and now Bruce and Jace are both Batman.

Jon’s never getting erased, and I don’t see him getting deaged either. What happens with Jon ultimately depends on whether or not he’s getting adapted into outside media (as Superman). I personally think he will be the replacement Superman after Sasha Supergirl is done.
    You can still go back. Easily. Its not happening in a week, a month, or maybe even a year but it can still happen. It wouldn't be as big a deal as people make it out to be. Twitter gets mad for a little bit? Its the same thing as what's going on today. People mad that he's bi to begin with today won't even be thinking about it tomorrow. Out of sight out of mind. Same thing if they back track. One, comics are still not that big a deal to the layman. Two, if you're just making him a kid again you're not saying that "We changed our minds, he's straight". He's still him, when he gets older he'll still have the same desires as he did when he was erroneously aged up. It would not at all be a PR nightmare. Not even if it wasn't framed respectfully which it very much could be.

Getting rid of him would be harder, but that's still possible too. Again, how much does larger society really care about comics to make this a headache for DC? Not much. Even with the increased noticeability thanks to the films, still not much. And from DC's perspective of their bottom line, does losing him hurt Superman? Not really. All the changes his lore has gone through and this would be the backbreaker? No way. He'd be fine. At least in no worse a spot as they're constantly putting him in.

I can't say 100% it will happen. But I don't buy for a second it 100% will not or cannot.
    Last edited by Sacred Knight; 10-11-2021 at 01:39 PM.
    "They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son." - Jor-El

Let assume DC dont want Cat to bw bi so they fired the writer. They are not gonna announce this fact in soc med for fearing detractors right? Then all I have to do is keep reminding everyone on soc med that Cat is bi, and eventually there will be writer or DC higher up that acknowledge it even if it takes 20 more years
    That happened years ago. Why would they bring negativity to them? they just fired the writer put the character on a new direction and never touched the subject again.
    Well good luck with that then as if writers can decide things alone

Even when they announced Selina was bi, I don't think people were surprised but also didn't expect her main romance being Batman to ever change.

Jon and even Tim don't have romances that prolific, so there's more room for them to do stuff like this and have it stick and lead to substantial exploration. Not that that is an automatic guarantee DC would do it, but there's less standing in their way here than there was with Selina

Again, two can play at this game.DC being silent, reverse Jon's age, pair him or Cat with opposite gender so they don't have to ackbowledge them Bi?

That also means they're not not bi, and we will keep reminding people that they are, whether through posts or fan art. DC can't say otherwise and so are other people because Bi people do date the opposite sex.

Incredible Member

'Jon Kent is bi' is a pretty good direction for DC in a vacuum, but this makes the Tim Drake decision all the more baffling.

I had argued at the time that a 'coming out' story would work best in a character with an ongoing series to explore it, and would be best suited to either a new or relatively new character so as not to rile up the continuity fans.

I was more in favor of outing Damian, as (1) DC would not have to explain any established romantic relationships (like Tim has with Stephanie and other ex's), and (2) there would be time to explore the topic (he has an ongoing series; Tim is nowhere to be found). Barring that, DC could instead support already established LGBTQ characters with new ongoings (I mean, Harper Row is already right there as someone who could be given a solo series to explore LGBTQ). Sure, there is the valid argument to (1) that people are bi- the whole time, but an out of nowhere reveal in a one-shot has nowhere near the power that an ongoing series would have.

Now that we know Jon Kent will be bisexual, the earlier Tim Drake decision makes even less sense. Jon Kent is a perfect candidate - has a solo series, doesn't have any real romantic history for this revelation to push up against. Having this reveal come right after Tim Drake's, cheapens the power of the moment.

The Tim Drake reveal plus the Jon Kent decision screams nakedly of marketing scheme than something organic ("Look, there is a bisexual Batkid, and now you'll get a bisexual Superkid too. And since Jon Kent is now closer in age to Tim than Damian, you'll be able to ship a Batman/Superman romance").

It definitely is a good thing for representation, but I just wish that it wasn't so overtly marketing driven.

Again, two can play at this game.DC being silent, reverse Jon's age, pair him or Cat with opposite gender so they don't have to ackbowledge them Bi?

That also means they're not not bi, and we will keep reminding people that they are, whether through posts or fan art. DC can't say otherwise and so are other people because Bi people do date the opposite sex.
    I view this as the same with Selina,

Even though her #1 romance is with Bruce, and always will be, I still view her as bi after they announced it.
    Same with Diana, even though they seem determined not to do anything with it.