Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: JMS Spiderman

Extraordinary Member Derek Metaltron's Avatar

Haven't gotten to reading the storyline after Aunt May learns Peter's secret so I was wondering... when she found out, did Peter ever tell her that he could have stopped the bugular who shot Uncle Ben, or did he still keep that a secret. I figured that idea recently would have been a very powerful moment, especially in May's reaction.

It's at the heart of their conversation and one of best Spidey moments of all time.

Extraordinary Member Derek Metaltron's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Spider-Man View Post
    It's at the heart of their conversation and one of best Spidey moments of all time.
    Neat, will definitely want to read that then, I could imagine like Ultimate Peter's confession that he's Spidey to Ultimate MJ in Ultimate Spider-Man #13, they could devote an entire issue to that conversation.

Quote Originally Posted by RD! View Post
    I'm not interested in it to be honest. Two stubborn oafs having a falling out over who gets their way with a character that is supposed to inspire people to rise above such behaviour.

JMS was a good writer but seems to be a bit of a mean guy in person. I think we're lucky to have a friendly, enthusiastic writer on the books now. Not to mention Lowe seems like a nice guy too.
    You might be right, but I’ve always found collaborative relationships between writers to be particularly interesting. A few years ago, two of my friends asked me to help them write a fantasy novel one of them came up with, since they knew I liked to write. It was a good idea for a story, and I was happy to help, so I said yes. (In retrospect, the finished book is just awful, but it was exciting at the time.)

As the project neared the halfway point, my two friends began to turn on each other. The one who came up with the idea became obsessed with fantastical dreams of financial success, and wanted to push my other friend out of the project, since he wasn’t writing and didn’t come up with the main idea. My other friend responded angrily, and they both tried to use me to get their way and hurt the other person. Major decisions were decided by a three-person vote, but neither of them ever wanted to back down on anything, and had resentment when things didn’t go their way.

In short, it destroyed their—and our—friendship. And once the novel was finished (it remains unpublished, deservedly so), I swore that if I ever pursued writing again in the future I would never work with partners.

Anyway, as far as JMS goes, the issue with Aunt May is one of my all-time favorites. There was a lot of stuff he got right (the character of Peter Parker, the relationships between the characters), and some things I missed (classic villains, supporting cast). Altogether, I think it is well worth the read.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Derek Metaltron View Post
    Neat, will definitely want to read that then, I could imagine like Ultimate Peter's confession that he's Spidey to Ultimate MJ in Ultimate Spider-Man #13, they could devote an entire issue to that conversation.
    I love both Ultimate Spider-Man #13 and The Amazing Spider-Man (Vol. 2) #38. Two of the best ever Spidey stories.

Extraordinary Member

JMS' run on the book was the last time I took any interest in the ongoing.

BANNED

JMS was the last time the regular continuity version of my favourite characters were handled like actual adults.

It was a solid run with some incredible highs (Coming Home, Book of Ezekiel) and some terrible lows (Sins Past, the Other, OMD).

The art was top notch if you like JRJR and Deodato Jr., Garney was also solid during the civil war arc which was mostly very well done.

Really, besides Sins Past, the Other and OMD eveything else was at least a B+ and like I said, Coming Home, the 9/11 issue, ASM #38, are all A+++ and among the best ever issues.

Overall, I'd give the run a B-