Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Wonder Woman #780 - Spoiler/Discussion

Synopsis:

Diana returns! First to the Justice League, where after a round of greeting several fellow Leaguers, is encountered by her mother. Proud of Diana's sacrifice and overjoyed at her return, Hippolyta urges Diana to return to Themyscira for a nights rest.

On her way to Paradis Island, Diana comes across a capsizing boat. She helps carry people out of the water, and carries the boat to shore, where her heroic dead is captured on video. Word spreads fast and Steve, Etta, Donna, Cassie, Yara, The Holiday Girls, Artemis and the Bana-Mighdall, Nubia and the Amazon's all rejoice at Diana's return. However, Diana's arrival does not go unnoticed by her enemies, as we see Dr. Pyscho.

Diana finally arrives at Themyscira, where the Amazon's host a feast in her honor. Diana, feeling overwhelmed, sneaks off from the party. Nubia confronts Diana and hands her the Golden Lasso, and the two take an oath to pledge themselves to truth and understanding.

As Diana goes off to bed, she stops and looks at her reflection in the palace's pool. Diana can't help but feel that something is different about her, but she brushes it aside and fails to notice her reflection, unmoving, smiling maliciously back at her.

Unsure of this new world, but confidant she still had a place in it, Diana flies off in search of her next adventure.

Review:

I really liked this issue! It was very fanservice-y, and mostly setup but it was very cute and relaxing and a nice tribute to Diana.

Honestly, I wish it it had more fanservice with Diana actually seeing Donna and Cassie but perhaps good things will come in time? (Hopefully?)

Travis Moore's art was beautiful, like always. Hopefully this won't be his last issue and he's just on hiatus.

All-in-all, solid read and I look forward to where we are going next!
    ~I just keep swimming through these threads~

hate cant reach you here Harpsikord's Avatar

So... that call that Doctor Psycho made. Villainy Inc, anyone?
    "We come into this world alone and we leave the same way. The time we spent in between - time spent alive, sharing, learning together... is all that makes life worth living." - Jean Grey

Extraordinary Member Dr. Poison's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Harpsikord View Post

I was thinking the same thing. I'm hoping for a roster similar to:

Blue Snowman
    Dr. Poison
    Dr. Psycho
    Giganta
    Queen Clea
    Silver Swan
    White Magician

Issue #780 was a love letter to fan. So many on point cameos and conversations. The art was gorgeous. It was nice to see footnotes referencing where this story stood in continuity compared to other books.
    Currently(or soon to be) Reading: Alan Scott: Green Lantern, Batman/Superman: World's Finest, Fire & Ice: Welcome to Smallville, Green Arrow, Green Lantern, Jay Garrick: The Flash, Justice Society of America, Power Girl, Superman, Shazam, Titans, Wesley Dodds: Sandman, Wonder Woman, & World's Finest: Teen Titans.

Quote Originally Posted by Harpsikord View Post
    They called him, lol.

Fingers crossed it's Villainy Inc. though. Or maybe this lineup.

OMG ˇˇˇˇPHILIPPUS IN A COMIC!!!

Gracias al de arriba

Though I didn't like all of the art touching on everyone in Wonder Woman's orbit was masterful. It was a dream come true.

CLOONRAD 2.jpg

So glad this picture wasn't just a pin-up but a clear representation of the Cloonrad age of Wonder Woman!

A fanservice issue but I am a fan who was pleased with the service so I liked this issue. Can't even say if I recall there being an issue in the main comic that had Steve, Etta, Hippolyta, Donna, Cassie, and Artemis in it.

One of the villains on that poster Koriand'r posted is probably my guess for who Pyscho was calling. Ideally almost anyone but Max.

Loved it. Catching up with everyone was great (Holliday Girls!). I'm a little disappointed other villains are going to work with Dr. Psycho as I can't see how any woman would, but oh well.

Beautiful, except for the interaction with Superman and Batman.
    Love that they focus on Hyppolita and Nubia, I firmly believe that Steve, Etta, Holliday girls, Donna, Artemis and Cassie will have their moment in the next issues.
    Of course we will see more in JLD.
    The cards are on the table and I'm beyond excitement.

Did anyone else notice that Hippolyta is the only Amazon with that weird font in her speech bubbles?

Does she have a unique accent or something? Lol.

Quote Originally Posted by I'm a Fish View Post
    Did anyone else notice that Hippolyta is the only Amazon with that weird font in her speech bubbles?

Yes, I noticed, the same font they use in JL, is her Royal accent LOL...

Ultimate Member SiegePerilous02's Avatar

Loving what I'm hearing so far. Can't wait to pick this up. Especially for the Holliday Girls!

Fingers crossed it's Villainy Inc. though. Or maybe this lineup.

Would prefer Vilaliny Inc, but honestly wouldn't mind this group as a next best option.

Quote Originally Posted by Sebastianne View Post
    Beautiful, except for the interaction with Superman and Batman.
    Love that they focus on Hyppolita and Nubia, I firmly believe that Steve, Etta, Holliday girls, Donna, Artemis and Cassie will have their moment in the next issues.
    Of course we will see more in JLD.
    The cards are on the table and I'm beyond excitement.
    Unless something changes after the preview, I'd say the Superman and Batman interactions were still a highlight. It was nice to see them be brought into Diana's book and not act like OOC assholes for some misguided point that needs to be made.
    If that was the norm, any appearances by them would be automatically welcome instead of instilling anxiety.

Quote Originally Posted by Sebastianne View Post
    Yes, I noticed, the same font they use in JL, is her Royal accent LOL...
    Even when not a queen, she speaks in the "Queen's Themyscirian".

Yeah, took me a second to realize none of the other Amazons used it. Maybe Hippolyta just has a different one from other Amazons.

i love this ^^
    it was an amazing issue that worked to establish exactly who Wonder Womans supporting cast is probably going to be in the coming months, set up a fun conflict for the following issue, and now we have an opportunity to explore some delightful dynamics going forward.

Im especially excited by the Holliday girls popping up. They havn't been a thing in the main continuity in a very very long time.