All-New Member

Default Mr Freeze's relationship with his wife

How do you feel about the relationship ,should it be mutual or make Freeze into a simp, stocker creep or something?

I read it more like simp. He seemingly had a loving relationship before her injury, then.... that went all over the place after her illness. Victor devotes his life to saving her... and never stops to think about whether that's a good idea... and.. the results? well that's where it gets complicated.

Astonishing Member thwhtGuardian's Avatar

I don't see the appeal of the stocker/creep angle of the retcon...it isn't even a great way of trying to take away the sympathetic villain aspect as it just comes across as ham-fisted. If you want a Freeze with zero redeeming qualities just retcon the wife out entirely and either make him a mad scientist like he was originally or a thuggish thief who suffered an accident that gave him freeze powers similar to how it was done in The Batman cartoon.
    Looking for a friendly place to discuss comic books? Try The Classic Comics Forum!

It should be mutual. I think the big problem with Nora as the motivation for Mr Freeze's criminal life, is that it can be used a limited number of times before becoming boring. Writers noticed this problem, and different things have been tried: kill Nora, revive Nora, retcon Freeze into a psycopath. None seem to have worked, as they also become boring, even faster. The Arkham games had the advantage of being able to close that story, while comicbooks need Mr Freeze available to use him over and over again. If the status quo pull wasn't so strong, I would suggest to make Mr Freeze an ally of Batman. Not one that goes on adventures with the Bat-Family in a daily basis, like Clayface in Rebirth, but someone that can help from time to time, be it at prison or, in certain cases, in the field. He could be rewarded with small luxuries in his imprisonment
    "The Batman is Gotham City. I will watch him. Study him. And when I know him and why he does not kill, I will know this city. And then Gotham will be MINE!"-BANE

"We're monsters, buddy. Plain and simple. I don't dress it up with fancy names like mutant or post-human; men were born crueler than Apes and we were born crueler than men. It's just the natural order of things"-ULTIMATE SABRETOOTH

All-New Member

I guess I dont see why Freeze cant be motivated by the loss of his wife but then transition that into him being sort of traumatized and embracing a life of crime over time. Eventually the wife really kind of becomes more of an excuse rather than a motivator but during key moments of lucidity perhaps he thinks back and realizes how he has gone astray. That way you can play with both angles as needed for the story. Sux to just chuck out one of the more interesting/moving villain origins.

Astonishing Member

This one is quite simple, actually - I think it robs it of relevance if their dynamic was anything but the notion that he was already kind of cold, withdrawn, very involved in his work and he really only warmed up, opened up, felt good, lived life because of how unbelievably warm and dynamic and fun she was, how patient with him for being kind of insular and icy, putting so many of his emotional eggs in the one basket that is her being around to help him be a normal human that when the accident happened that's what fractured his psyche beyond just being a bit cold and distant and put him right into "I will hurt other people to get her back" mode.

Anything else is kind of weak by comparison. Bringing her back and "now she's a villain" could I guess be tragic if you did the homework and heavy lifting of explaining the hackey cliched way that "being frozen by Freeze for so long damaged her brain", kind of putting a spin on now he's the architect of why he can never be happy again.

But bringing her back but she's abhorred by the things that Mister Freeze had done to keep her alive? That her life meant others had to die ... that he could even do that to people? Now that's the juice.
    Retro315 no more. Anonymity is so 2005.
    retrowarbird.blogspot.com

I'm at least a C-Lister! exile001's Avatar

Personally, I like not knowing about her. Only having Victor's unreliable narrative on the events prior to her being frozen allows the audience to take Freeze's origins and motivations a bit ambiguously and can lead to different interpretations on the character. I think it makes him a bit more sinister to have a nagging doubt that maybe everything wasn't as straight forward as he says, especially once he's been around for 8 years still doing awful things and claiming it's because his wife died.

Obviously, what Tomasi did is the exact worst thing possible (well, that or the fire elemental thing from Batgirl).

I did really enjoy Victor and Nora: A Gotham Love Story as an out of continuity piece.
    Just. Be. Nice.

Quote Originally Posted by Chubistian View Post
    It should be mutual. I think the big problem with Nora as the motivation for Mr Freeze's criminal life, is that it can be used a limited number of times before becoming boring. Writers noticed this problem, and different things have been tried: kill Nora, revive Nora, retcon Freeze into a psycopath. None seem to have worked, as they also become boring, even faster. The Arkham games had the advantage of being able to close that story, while comicbooks need Mr Freeze available to use him over and over again. If the status quo pull wasn't so strong, I would suggest to make Mr Freeze an ally of Batman. Not one that goes on adventures with the Bat-Family in a daily basis, like Clayface in Rebirth, but someone that can help from time to time, be it at prison or, in certain cases, in the field. He could be rewarded with small luxuries in his imprisonment
    This is what made the ending of Batman: Forever good. There was no magic reset button. Sure Nora was still frozen, but Victor now had the means to fix that. And Batman was the reason for this.