View Poll Results: Who was the first "Robin" (partner of Batman) you ever read about in comic books

Voters
83. You may not vote on this poll
  • Dick Grayson (original Robin)

38 45.78%
  • Jason Todd (introduced 1983)

7 8.43%
  • Carrie Kelley (Frank Miller's future Robin, introduced in 1986)

0 0%
  • Tim Drake (introduced 1989)

23 27.71%
  • Stephanie Brown (became Robin in 2004)

1 1.20%
  • Damian Wayne (introduced 2006)

12 14.46%
  • Helena Wayne (New52's Earth 2 version, introduced 2012)

1 1.20%
  • Duke Thomas (Robin from Futures End in 2014)

0 0%
  • Matt McGinnis (younger brother of Terry McGinnis in Batman Beyond / 2018)

0 0%
  • We Are Robin gang (2015-2016)

1 1.20%
  • young Bruce Wayne (see Detective Comics #226, December 1955)

0 0%
  • Bruce Wayne, Jr. (see Batman #131 and others, 1960-1964)

0 0%
  • other (please specify in a separate post)

0 0%
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Default Who was the first "Robin" (partner of Batman) you ever read about in comic books

Who was the first character called "Robin" (part of the Batman family of comics, as opposed to guys like "Robin Hood") you ever read about in a comic book? (NOTE: We're not talking about who you saw in a TV show or movie, just who was the first one you read in a comic book story.)

Possibilities include:
    * Dick Grayson (original Robin)
    * Jason Todd (introduced 1983)
    * Carrie Kelley (Frank Miller's future Robin, introduced in 1986)
    * Tim Drake (introduced 1989)
    * Stephanie Brown (became Robin in 2004)
    * Damian Wayne (introduced 2006)
    * Helena Wayne (New52 Earth 2 version, introduced 2012)
    * Duke Thomas (Robin from Futures End / 2014)
    * Matt McGinnis (younger brother of Terry McGinnis in Batman Beyond / 2018 +)
    * We Are Robin gang (Duke Thomas, Riko Sheridan, Dre Cipriani, Isabella Ortiz, Daxton Chill, Troy Walker, etc. / 2015-2016)
    * young Bruce Wayne (see Detective Comics #226, December 1955)
    * Bruce Wayne, Jr. (see Batman #131 and others, 1960-1964)

And remember, it's who was Robin in the story, not somebody who wasn't Robin in that story but may have been in earlier stories or would be Robin in later stories.

Ultimate Member

Jason Todd.

The first owned Batman books (thank you 3 for $1 packs) were the ones that introduced The Mime, Todd McFarlane's Batman cover and the 3 part arc that was before Death in the Family.

All Jason.

I don't own a single Batman issue with Dick as Robin.

Dick Grayson in an issues of Batman Family I got off the racks as a kid.

I was already familiar with Robin from Super Friends and reruns of Batman '66 in syndication at the time.

-M
    Comic fans get the comics their buying habits deserve.

"Opinion is the lowest form of human knowledge. It requires no accountability, no understanding." -Plato

I started reading Batman later (for certain reasons), so I barely caugh a few with Tim as Robin. Well, maybe I read that Superman special with Jason, I think I remember reading it in the very early 00's. So I probably should've voted for Jason. But my first Robin was Dick thanks to the animated series. And then afterwards, Iread earlier comics with Tim and Jason as Robin (and Dick as Nightwing). Haven't read one with Dick as Robin from back then, though. Or I think I have not.

Astonishing Member Darkspellmaster's Avatar

Tim was my first and I enjoyed him a lot.

Dick's the first Robin I ever heard of but Tim was Robin by the time I was born and he was the first Robin I read about when I got into comics. I miss the days when Tim felt like he mattered.

I wanted to vote Duke but i had to go with the Robin gang since unfortunately Duke and We are Robin are separate choices but it was Duke in his We are Robin era that got me into comics.
    Last edited by lemonpeace; 10-12-2021 at 06:27 PM. Reason: typos galore! smh
    THE SIGNAL (Duke Thomas) is DC's secret shonen protagonist so I made him a fandom wiki

also, check out "The Signal Tape" a Duke Thomas fan project.

currently following:
    • DC: Red Hood: The Hill
    • Marvel: TBD
    • Manga (Shonen/Seinen): One Piece, My Hero, Dandadan, Jujutsu Kaisen, Kaiju No. 8, Reincarnation of The Veteran Soldier, Oblivion Rouge, ORDEAL, The Breaker: Eternal Force

"power does not corrupt, power always reveals."

The first Robin I was exposed to was Dick, when the old Adam West and Super Friends shows had re-runs.

But the first Robin I read about in comics was Tim. I think he was just starting his....second?....miniseries.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

Quote Originally Posted by Zaresh View Post
    I started reading Batman later (for certain reasons), so I barely caugh a few with Tim as Robin. Well, maybe I read that Superman special with Jason, I think I remember reading it in the very early 00's. So I probably should've voted for Jason. But my first Robin was Dick thanks to the animated series. And then afterwards, Iread earlier comics with Tim and Jason as Robin (and Dick as Nightwing). Haven't read one with Dick as Robin from back then, though. Or I think I have not.
    So, who did you vote for as "the first character called "Robin" (part of the Batman family of comics, as opposed to guys like "Robin Hood") you ever read about in a comic book"?

Quote Originally Posted by lemonpeace View Post
    I wanted to vote Duke but i had to so with the Robin gang since unfortunately Duke and We are Robin are separate choices but it was Duke in his We are Robin era that got me into comes.
    Remember, this is all about who was the "Robin" you first read about in a comic book story, not "who was the first one you saw on TV" or "who is your favorite Robin".

The "favorite Robin" thread / poll is a separate one:

see beauty in all things. charliehustle415's Avatar

Tim Drake will always be my first Robin.

I remember learning about him when I read Knightfall for the first time, prior to that I didn't even know Batman had a partner because my only exposure to him was Batman '89

So color me surprised when I picked up Knightfall at a Virgin Megastores and see the cavalcade of characters - I was hooked

I really didn't get into comics until Rebirth. And by then, even Damian was off doing his own thing. But I had been following the Bat franchise since the early 90s with BTAS and Batman 1966 reruns.

Quote Originally Posted by Jackalope89 View Post
    I really didn't get into comics until Rebirth. And by then, even Damian was off doing his own thing. But I had been following the Bat franchise since the early 90s with BTAS and Batman 1966 reruns.
    So, did you vote?
    If you did, who did you choose as "the first character called "Robin" (part of the Batman family of comics, as opposed to guys like "Robin Hood") you ever read about in a comic book"?

Damian.. I started reading N52 batman&Robin Run.

Despite I met Dick Grayson before in the Animated Series.

Quote Originally Posted by MajorHoy View Post
    So, who did you vote for as "the first character called "Robin" (part of the Batman family of comics, as opposed to guys like "Robin Hood") you ever read about in a comic book"?

Remember, this is all about who was the "Robin" you first read about in a comic book story, not "who was the first one you saw on TV" or "who is your favorite Robin".

The "favorite Robin" thread / poll is a separate one:
    I voted Tim, but I realized later, when I was writing, that I probably should have voted Jason. Sorry ;/.

Astonishing Member failo.legendkiller's Avatar

I can’t remember the book or the story but it definetly was Dick Grayson.
    Tim was the one when I strated to really get deep into comics.