View Poll Results: Who was the first "Robin" (partner of Batman) you ever read about in comic books

Voters
83. You may not vote on this poll
  • Dick Grayson (original Robin)

38 45.78%
  • Jason Todd (introduced 1983)

7 8.43%
  • Carrie Kelley (Frank Miller's future Robin, introduced in 1986)

0 0%
  • Tim Drake (introduced 1989)

23 27.71%
  • Stephanie Brown (became Robin in 2004)

1 1.20%
  • Damian Wayne (introduced 2006)

12 14.46%
  • Helena Wayne (New52's Earth 2 version, introduced 2012)

1 1.20%
  • Duke Thomas (Robin from Futures End in 2014)

0 0%
  • Matt McGinnis (younger brother of Terry McGinnis in Batman Beyond / 2018)

0 0%
  • We Are Robin gang (2015-2016)

1 1.20%
  • young Bruce Wayne (see Detective Comics #226, December 1955)

0 0%
  • Bruce Wayne, Jr. (see Batman #131 and others, 1960-1964)

0 0%
  • other (please specify in a separate post)

0 0%
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Extraordinary Member Restingvoice's Avatar

Dick
    Knights of Knavery
    The first ever team up of Joker and Penguin

All-New Member

Dick Grayson
    The Uncanny X-Men and The New Teen Titans

Batman #457 was my first issue of Batman ever.
    Pulls: Batman, Detective Comics, SiKtC, Catwoman, Nightwing, Titans, Godzilla, Wonder Woman, Batman & Robin, Brave and the Bold, No/One, Kill your Darlings, and Deviant.
    My runs: Batman #230-, and Detective #420-

Incredible Member

Technically Speaking Dick Grayson I was introduced to first via the films and DCAU.

Mainstream comics, it was Tim Drake (who fortunately I learnt via TNBA); during the War Games Arc.

Extraordinary Member CPSparkles's Avatar

Tim Drake.

All-New Member

Technically Speaking Dick Grayson and later Jason I was also introduced to first them through the show, films and DCAU. However in the comics it was Damian Wayne .

All-New Member

For me it was Jason Todd in 1984 (yes, I'm that old...).
    I loved him.

Technically, Jason Todd, so I voted for him. First legit Batman comic book I read was during the "Death in the Family" arc, as it was really hyped up in school (7th grade, lol).

But I did have a Batman hardcover audio book which was pretty much a comic. Came with a cassette tape, and it was all in picture form. I had to look it up online, but it was from Fisher Price and was called "Batman: The Case of the Laughing Sphinx", and it had Robin (Dick Grayson). It was a pretty cool introductory story, as it had some of the main Batman villains: Joker, Penguin, Riddler, Catwoman.

Here's a picture I found online. I used to read/listen to this book many a times when I was around 8yrs old. I also had a Wonder Woman book from the same line. Apparently, there were also books on the Justice League, as well as Superman, but I didn't have those two.....I also had a 70s Batman coloring book which had Dick Grayson as Robin. It was a coloring book in story form, so it was sort of a comic, but that definitely doesn't count. I actually still have both Fisher Price audio-books, as well as the coloring book. They're in storage.

Last edited by Ramsay Snow; 10-14-2021 at 02:23 AM.

Astonishing Member failo.legendkiller's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Ramsay Snow View Post
    Technically, Jason Todd, so I voted for him. First legit Batman comic book I read was during the "Death in the Family" arc, as it was really hyped up in school (7th grade, lol).

But I did have a Batman hardcover audio book which was pretty much a comic. Came with a cassette tape, and it was all in picture form. I had to look it up online, but it was from Fisher Price and was called "Batman: The Case of the Laughing Sphinx", and it had Robin (Dick Grayson). It was a pretty cool introductory story, as it had some of the main Batman villains: Joker, Penguin, Riddler, Catwoman.

Here's a picture I found online. I used to read/listen to this book many a times when I was around 8yrs old. I also had a Wonder Woman book from the same line. Apparently, there were also books on the Justice League, as well as Superman, but I didn't have those two.....I also had a 70s Batman coloring book which had Dick Grayson as Robin. It was a coloring book in story form, so it was sort of a comic, but that definitely doesn't count. I actually still have both Fisher Price audio-books, as well as the coloring book. They're in storage.

Man this is amazing!
    I would have killed to have it when i was a kid. We didn’t have it here in Italy.
    This kind of book/cassette or record player were only about Disney stuff or fairy tales for children.

I'm at least a C-Lister! exile001's Avatar

Dick by virtue of reprints of '60s to '70s stories and collections (Greatest Batman/Joker Stories Ever Told) and then Batman Adventures, which were also reprints here in the UK on glossy A4 paper with other features on BTAS and reader letters included.

When I moved on to mainline comics after being hooked by the Knightfall TPBs Tim was wearing the costume.
    Last edited by exile001; 10-14-2021 at 06:48 AM.
    "Has Sariel summoned you here, Azrael? Have you come to witness the miracle of your brethren arriving on Earth?"

"I WILL MIX THE ASHES OF YOUR BONES WITH SALT AND USE THEM TO ENSURE THE EARTH THE TEMPLARS TILLED NEVER BEARS FRUIT AGAIN!"

"*sigh* I hoped it was for the miracle."

Dan Watters' Azrael was incredible, a constant delight and perhaps too good for this world (but not the Forth). For the love of St. Dumas, DC, give us more!!!

Quote Originally Posted by failo.legendkiller View Post
    Man this is amazing!
    I would have killed to have it when i was a kid. We didn’t have it here in Italy.
    This kind of book/cassette or record player were only about Disney stuff or fairy tales for children.
    I had a bunch of the Disney ones. Those were essentially the early 80s version of VHS/DVD for kids, since videotape was pretty expensive back then, so it wasn't really an option.

If you look at the price-tag of that Batman audiobook, $8 in the early 80s is probably like $20-$35 by today's standards, so even that isn't cheap.

Astonishing Member signalman112's Avatar

Batman #279.

Batman279.jpg

Damian Wayne Morrisons Batman and Robin

Quote Originally Posted by signalman112 View Post
    Batman #279.

Batman279.jpg
    That was your first comic book story with "Robin" in it?

NOTE: Poll / thread was originally started back in October 2021
    -------------------------
    Quote Originally Posted by MajorHoy View Post
    Who was the first character called "Robin" (part of the Batman family of comics, as opposed to guys like "Robin Hood") you ever read about in a comic book? (NOTE: We're not talking about who you saw in a TV show or movie, just who was the first one you read in a comic book story)...
    Quote Originally Posted by MajorHoy View Post
    . . . And remember, it's who was Robin in the story, not somebody who wasn't Robin in that story but may have been in earlier stories or would be Robin in later stories.
    With 47 people having voted so far,
    * Dick Grayson (original Robin) = 19 votes
    * Tim Drake (introduced 1989) = 12 votes
    * Damian Wayne (introduced 2006) = 10 votes
    * Jason Todd (introduced 1983) = 5 votes
    * We Are Robin gang (Duke Thomas, etc. / 2015-2016) = 1 vote