Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

They could try another ultimates style universe but it would feel unnecessary. The movies fill that role already.

You could try doing what Bruce Timm did for Justice League Gods and Monsters. He kept the mantles and tossed everything else out (hyperbolically). In reality it was more of a What If/Elseworlds style story.

They could try rebooting the Malibu characters as the new Ultimate Universe.

They could always return to the MC2 universe. Kamala and friends could just be the generation in between the Silver Age Stalwarts and their kids. Miles is the Spiderman while Peter raises May etc.
    Last edited by the illustrious mr. kenway; 10-16-2021 at 09:12 AM.

Mighty Member

Not a reboot, but Marvel need a restructure every 10 years or so. There needs to be a point where editorial says “so, we’re going to streamline some stuff again, building up from that base and going on from there. And in ten years, we’ll streamline again, giving new jumping on points and respecting the legacy while also being a soft reboot”.

The closest Marvel got was the post Secret War era, and that was just a mess entirely to the point it didn’t really go anywhere.

I’m reminded of Marvel Now, which I still think is the best era in recent years and A New Start, which itself wasn’t really much of a new start for so,e books.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by the illustrious mr. kenway View Post
    They could try another ultimates style universe but it would feel unnecessary. The movies fill that role already.

You could try doing what Bruce Timm did for Justice League Gods and Monsters. He kept the mantles and tossed everything else out (hyperbolically). In reality it was more of a What If/Elseworlds style story.

They could always return to the MC2 universe. Kamala and friends could just be the generation in between the Silver Age Stalwarts and their kids. Miles is the Spiderman while Peter raises May etc.
    That Gods and Monsters thing is what I would like to see. Make it feel like an alternate universe, not same characters, same roles but with a little something different.

Ultimate Member

How far into the future from now would MC2 be?

Quote Originally Posted by jackolover View Post
    There have been a few reboots of continuity, upgrading Marvel to start in the year 2000, so for us old hands it’s jarring to think origins that started in the 1960’s, (and it’s 50 years of continuity), now happened in the 12 months from 2000 to 2001. But ignoring that, like we did from Civil War (2006) up to Dark Ages, you don’t miss anything with that upgrading, but this persistance of alternate reality series’ popping up and Jason Aaron’s Avengers from a million years ago, just distorts the waters. Why bring in all these different realities, unless it’s all heading somewhere and it gets to a common nexus to tie all of it in? Marvel comics is just stumbling from one Event to another, springing alternate realities ( Heroes Reborn like HOM) on us, and cascading through a series of new megalomaniacs one after the other, who are running the Earth.

I wish that the Marvel Universe settled down for a while, like a lazy autumn afternoon, like it did after John Byrnes Amazing Spider-Man in 2000. There seems to be too much Original Sin-type revelations sprung out on us recently. I don’t think it worked, making ANAD a distorted universe that wasn’t made right after Secret Wars - the magic was all skewed, Beyonder power was spread around the universe, the FF weren’t allowed in, Galactus was Inverted good, Eternity in chains, Black King sprung up from antiquity.

Just make mine marvel.
    THIS^ in a NUTSHELL!!
    When the new writers came in, they ---- up EVERYTHING!!. IT'S like DC (terms of reboots/MCU Synergy rolled into ONE!!)

Quote Originally Posted by FFJamie94 View Post
    Not a reboot, but Marvel need a restructure every 10 years or so. There needs to be a point where editorial says “so, we’re going to streamline some stuff again, building up from that base and going on from there. And in ten years, we’ll streamline again, giving new jumping on points and respecting the legacy while also being a soft reboot”.

The closest Marvel got was the post Secret War era, and that was just a mess entirely to the point it didn’t really go anywhere.

I’m reminded of Marvel Now, which I still think is the best era in recent years and A New Start, which itself wasn’t really much of a new start for so,e books.
    Even with that, I think soft boots and streamlining the origins are the way to go. Just get rid of the anachronisms and update their personalities. Anything not possible in the main universe can always be relegated to AU's.

New #1's and new 'Year One' style origin retellings. Maybe the FF's space launch is tied to space tourism now. Having all the characters except Cap who were tied to RL conflicts (like Reed, Ben, Frank, Tony) all being tied to a fictional decades long war in Asia is probably one of the best retcons Marvel did.

Maybe instead of 10 or 13 years, everything happened in 15 years.

Also how you approach characters and introduce them can draw in new fans. If people like a character enough they'll hunt down everything the character is in.

I remember reading JLA/Avengers by Kurt Busiek and I remember the scene where Vision had a meltdown when he learned what happens to his children in the 'real universe' as opposed to the fake one everyone was living in at the time. I hadn't read the story in question involving Vision and Wanda's kids at the time but the story still made me feel for Vision and his internal struggle and the fact that a robot could have such a human reaction. Stuff like that is how you drawn in new fans for characters with decades long history.

Quote Originally Posted by Noek View Post
    That Gods and Monsters thing is what I would like to see. Make it feel like an alternate universe, not same characters, same roles but with a little something different.
    Villains as heroes or anti-heroes lol:
    Iron Mandarin
    Baron America
    General Hulk
    Spider-Goblin
    Man-Ant
    Doom Four

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by John Venus View Post
    Even with that, I think soft boots and streamlining the origins are the way to go. Just get rid of the anachronisms and update their personalities. Anything not possible in the main universe can always be relegated to AU's.

New #1's and new 'Year One' style origin retellings. Maybe the FF's space launch is tied to space tourism now. Having all the characters except Cap who were tied to RL conflicts (like Reed, Ben, Frank, Tony) all being tied to a fictional decades long war in Asia is probably one of the best retcons Marvel did.

Maybe instead of 10 or 13 years, everything happened in 15 years.
    How much can you keep updating the same origins over again, though?

Quote Originally Posted by astronomy View Post
    The continuity in Marvel is really, really, all over the place. I have been reading comics since I could read, but being in my early 20s, I can imagine anyone new to comics in general would have no idea where to start or what is going on between the vast amount of titles and series', overlapping and retconning themselves and the Earth-616 continutiy everywhere you look.
    What I think Marvel ought to do, is start fresh with a new continuity, the same intention behind starting the Ultimate Universe, but without the intention to destroy that universe/drag some of its original characters into Marvel Prime.
    What would you like to see in a new timeline, not as a joke universe but not a part of the multiverse with only one stark difference?
    You're right. We need something new, something bold—something recognizable that calls back to the classic characters and stories but with a modern sensibility at its foundation! By Jove, I think I got it! Yes, yes! we could call it...."The Ultimate Universe"!
    Last edited by Citizen Kane; 10-16-2021 at 04:37 PM.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Mutant God View Post
    Iron Mandarin
    Baron America
    General Hulk
    Spider-Goblin
    Man-Ant
    Doom Four
    Marvel Earth 3?

Marvel Earth 3?
    Was just a joke but I'm surprised that Marvel never did that before, could be more grim then the Ultimate Universe lol.

Instead of Masters of Evil its Masters of Peace

Quote Originally Posted by CosmiComic View Post
    How far into the future from now would MC2 be?
    Probably 15-20 years but it's not set In stone.

It would be fun but risky. Another alternative is to do a new generation of characters like 2099.

Quote Originally Posted by Mutant God View Post
    Iron Mandarin
    Baron America
    General Hulk
    Spider-Goblin
    Man-Ant
    Doom Four
    Technically God's and Monsters did that with their take on Batman. Both Superman and WW weren't villians in the main DCU.

Quote Originally Posted by CosmiComic View Post
    How much can you keep updating the same origins over again, though?
    They've done it for 60+ years. So I guess they'll do it for 60+ more years.
    Last edited by the illustrious mr. kenway; 10-17-2021 at 08:24 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by FFJamie94 View Post

Basically, in words of Julie Schwartz: "Every ten years the Marvel universe needs an enema".
    "Never assign to malice what is adequately explained by stupidity or ignorance."

"Great stories will always return to their original forms"

"Nobody is more dangerous than he who imagines himself pure in heart; for his purity, by definition, is unassailable." James Baldwin

Ultimate Member

They've done it for 60+ years. So I guess they'll do it for 60+ more years.
    Then what's the point?