Default Characters you discovered when they were different from the original version.

Who are the characters that were, when you started reading comics, different from what their iconic status quo and/or original version is?

I'm not sure my formulation is clear, so I'll start with my own examples.

Iron Man. When I started reading comics, Iron Man was James Rhodes. For me, Tony Stark was just some homeless drunk guy that Iron man happened to know.

Captain Marvel. My first CM was Monica Rambeau and it was only a long time later that I learnt about Mar Vell.

Banshee. He was not the guy with sonic powers, but some sort of James Bond like badass character with a gun and micro bombs. (it was during the time he couldn't use his powers)

Klaw. Funny and nutty. This one sticked with me. Even after all those years, Klaw is still for me that phony guy from Secret Wars.
    Bringing back the old, killing the young: that's the Marvel way

Extraordinary Member Mike_Murdock's Avatar

I mean, the most obvious example of a character I discovered when he was different from the original version is the Human Torch. It was fairly recently that I discovered the Jim Hammond version.
    Matt Murdock's cooler twin brother

I'd give the Devil benefit of law, for my own safety's sake!
    Thomas More - A Man for All Seasons

Interested in reading Daredevil? Not sure what to read next? Why not check out the Daredevil Book Club for some ideas?

Cosmic Curmudgeon JudicatorPrime's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mike_Murdock View Post
    I mean, the most obvious example of a character I discovered when he was different from the original version is the Human Torch. It was fairly recently that I discovered the Jim Hammond version.
    I'm the opposite. My uncles got me into comics, so I knew about the Original Human Torch before I knew about Johnny Storm.

Without running down a complete list, I'll just say that quite a few characters changed from when I was first introduced to them. I know some in the current generation get up in arms over mantle changes, legacy character debates and whatnot, but switching things up is just how Marvel rolls. Since the very beginning.

Astonishing Member

Spider-Woman. When I got into comics, Spider-Woman was Julia Carpenter, not Jessica Drew.

Also, to me Captain Marvel is Genis-Vell.

Human Torch and Ghost Rider are answers that can be mentioned with certain consistency, assuming more people even know that Johnny and Johnny aren't the originals lol.

Also didn't realize before this that the replacements of Human Torch and Ghost Rider are both called Johnny, wonder if that was an intentional joke lol.

Either way, both of them would most likely go on a "Goes without saying" category, and mentioning you knew the original would be the exception lol.

Nick Fury is another one who people may not be familiar with the original, since Black Fury is way more known than White Fury, but still another who can be mentioned with certain consistency.

Anyways, I think the first Spider-Woman I learned of was Julia Carpenter.

Edit: Also, I think the first Ghost Rider I saw was Danny, not Johnny (Definiter not Carter, only learned of him weeks ago in another thread here lol).
    Last edited by Lukmendes; 11-09-2021 at 04:50 PM.

Where the Diwatas and the Triumph Division live

Basically any Silver Age or younger character whose name was used by a Timely Comics Golden Age character who might not even have the exact same powers (or theme for that matter), like Hercules and Vision.
    Human Torch/Fantastic Four/She-Hulk/Disney Big Hero 6 /Tangled/G.I. Joe: A Real American Hero/Transformers G1 fanatic, Avatar-maker, and Marvel Moderator
    "一人じゃないから。" AI、『Story』。
    "ヒロ、お前を信じてる。" タダシ、『ベイマックス』。
    "You were my my new dream." "And you were mine." Eugene Fitzherbert and Rapunzel.
    "Knowing is half the battle."
    G.I. Joe.
    Know the CBR Community STANDARDS & RULES

Definitely, my choice would be Power Man! Knew about Luke Cage before Erik Josten.

Quote Originally Posted by K7P5V View Post
    Definitely, my choice would be Power Man! Knew about Luke Cage before Erik Josten.

Haha, I think it was the other way around for me!
    [Quote Originally Posted by Thor-El 10-15-2020 12:32 PM]

"Jason Aaron should know there is already a winner of the Phoenix Force and his name is Phoenixx9."

Like a Red Dragon, The Phoenix shall Soar in 2024!

see beauty in all things. charliehustle415's Avatar

I first learned about X-23 when she was All New Wolverine. I knew that she was some close but never really cared to learn who she was until I read All New Wolverine by Taylor and then I went back and read NYX and all of her various minis and solo series

Does that work?