Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Dont think it needs a new universe but hickman created the perfect vehicle for a reboot. I mean im not an event fan but you just do an event that ends with the death of moira x all of the 616 is rebooted you pick the elements you want to start with like krakoa etc and then the others you just start earlier like a younger cap, younger thor, tony etc. All the previous stuff happened and is still canon but you get sort of a fresh start.
    Don't let anyone else hold the candle that lights the way to your future because only you can sustain the flame.
    Number of People on my ignore list: 0
    #conceptualthinking ^_^
    #ByeMarvEN

Into the breach.
    https://www.instagram.com/jartist27/

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by jwatson View Post
    Dont think it needs a new universe but hickman created the perfect vehicle for a reboot. I mean im not an event fan but you just do an event that ends with the death of moira x all of the 616 is rebooted you pick the elements you want to start with like krakoa etc and then the others you just start earlier like a younger cap, younger thor, tony etc. All the previous stuff happened and is still canon but you get sort of a fresh start.
    But then that's just the same stuff we've already seen for decades

BANNED

Marvel cannot have a new universe, the ship has just sailed. they tried it in the late 90s with ultimate marvel but it turned out to be a fad and I say this as a fan who collected the Spiderman and X-men ultimate comic books.

However Marvel used to be very good and doing books that felt like good jumping points for new readers to get into the comics when they had no interest of reading the beginning as far back as the late 40s to 60s. Grant Morrison X-MEN run is one of the best example of a jumping point run of what I will say felt like a new marvel universe for the mutants that brought in different kind of readers. I even preferred that to many of their alternate reality universe comic books runs like Age of Apocalypse, Exiles or 2099.

Do marvel still make those kind of jumping points run with the same quality of Morrison? because for me that was a good strategy, that worked since the reality is, the marvel 616 universe can never be abolished

Quote Originally Posted by CosmiComic View Post
    But then that's just the same stuff we've already seen for decades
    Not really. Depends on when they choose to start. From that point life 10 of the 616 happened but the new life 11 of the 616 is whatever they choose to make it.
    Don't let anyone else hold the candle that lights the way to your future because only you can sustain the flame.
    Number of People on my ignore list: 0
    #conceptualthinking ^_^
    #ByeMarvEN

Into the breach.
    https://www.instagram.com/jartist27/

We've already seen how death being permanent plays out. We don't need that in every story.

Speaking as a DC fan: don't reboot.

They should keep doing what they're doing now with one main universe that gets patched and updated every few years with 'side universes' like Life Story and Marvel running concurrently with it.

If they want to bring in new readers, they can just launch new #1's alongside 'Year One' type books to draw in new readers. Plus go hard on their digital comics, books targeted at kids and tweens and trades.

I do think that the best and, perhaps, smartest option would be to put more stories in the Ultimate universe.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by jwatson View Post
    Not really. Depends on when they choose to start. From that point life 10 of the 616 happened but the new life 11 of the 616 is whatever they choose to make it.
    Perhaps, but why not go in a different direction?

There's enough stuff out there that shows exactly how to navigate what already exists.

Quote Originally Posted by John Venus View Post
    Speaking as a DC fan: don't reboot.
    Agree on this.
    "Life is too short so love the one you got cause you might get run over or you might get shot" - Sublime

Marvel's new universe?

Didn't this tried before?
    "Never assign to malice what is adequately explained by stupidity or ignorance."

"Great stories will always return to their original forms"

"Nobody is more dangerous than he who imagines himself pure in heart; for his purity, by definition, is unassailable." James Baldwin

Astonishing Member

Could be interesting but it needs a lot of changes from the main line universe. Changes to the Avengers could be no Captain America or at least no Steve Rogers since he wasn't frozen, maybe an Ultron that didn't rebel, Mar-vell who lived. X-men could be following the team Vulkan was first on they all lived. All of the Inhuman Kingdoms revealed themselves early enough. Doom has conqured a good amount of Eastern Europe. Basically a universe filled with what ifs.

I know some people bring up the Ultimate universe but was its problem that it was another universe or was it that it was trying to be "mature", and dark. Trying to always push the boundry.

Ultimate Member

Dark and mature isn't bad. What happened to the Ultimate universe was going overboard

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by astronomy View Post
    The continuity in Marvel is really, really, all over the place. I have been reading comics since I could read, but being in my early 20s, I can imagine anyone new to comics in general would have no idea where to start or what is going on between the vast amount of titles and series', overlapping and retconning themselves and the Earth-616 continutiy everywhere you look.
    What I think Marvel ought to do, is start fresh with a new continuity, the same intention behind starting the Ultimate Universe, but without the intention to destroy that universe/drag some of its original characters into Marvel Prime.
    What would you like to see in a new timeline, not as a joke universe but not a part of the multiverse with only one stark difference?
    It’s a non-problem, people lament every decade that there is too much continuity and readers younger than them won’t be able to follow, but then they do. It’s just that there are more and more forms of entertainment everyday, and a lot of new, varied and diverse successful comics on the market than just super heroes today on the market so way less people start reading Marvel and DC that in the past.

Cosmic Curmudgeon JudicatorPrime's Avatar

I'd only be in favor of a new universe if it was populated by characters with less than 200 appearances total going back to the Golden Age (including cameos), and no variations of any of the characters who have more than 200 appearances should ever appear in this new universe, with the lone exception of a major event that occurs every 10 years in real time. Further, at that 10 year interval, any characters with more than 200 appearances in the new universe gets sent to the main universe, and any characters in the main universe with less than 200 appearances get moved to the new universe. In short, the new universe would be for new and barely used characters and the purpose of the event is to keep this new universe evergreen.

Sounds crazy? Of course. But at least the fans of hardly used characters might get a chance to see their favorites in action for a change.