Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Dune spoilers

Quote Originally Posted by Totoro Man View Post
    the biggest factor is that Chalamet is 25. Ferguson is 38. Isaac is 42.

add make up, lighting, and the fact that all of them are considered conventionally attractive people and the age gap doesn't look quite as large as it should... based on the novel.
    Ferguson and Chalamet did not have mother/ son chemistry. At best, they seemed like stepmother and stepson.
    Sincerely,
    Thomas Mets

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by BeastieRunner View Post
    Dune: part one just scored WB's biggest opening of the pandemic.

CEO just soft confirmed part two.

I expect a formal announcement around Christmas.
    I didn't love the movie, but I am glad that it seems to be doing well, hopefully it will encourage studios will take more risk.

Quote Originally Posted by AnakinFlair View Post

One thing I don't like- we never saw the Emperor or his daughter, and we never got the dinner scene to set up a possible romance between Paul and the Daughter. We also never got any false leads that Jessica would betray Leto, which would lead to Gurney being suspicious of her. That becomes a point of tension later in the story, and as I recall, the Emperor's daughter had her own subplot navigating the politics her father put into play by siding with the Harkonnen. We also never saw the younger nephew of the Baron.
    It's been a while since I last reread Dune, but iirc the two things you listed were not in the original book but were created for the miniseries. Irulan is something of a non-character in the first book, someone who is occasionally quoted in the chapter headings but doesn't actually appear until the last few pages.

Extraordinary Member thwhtGuardian's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Mets View Post
    Ferguson and Chalamet did not have mother/ son chemistry. At best, they seemed like stepmother and stepson.
    Which honestly makes sense, sure she's his biological mother but she's also his father's concubine and while she's treated well and respected it's definitely a different role in the court where Paul was raised which would color their relationship.
    Looking for a friendly place to discuss comic books? Try The Classic Comics Forum!

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Mets View Post
    That's pretty funny, as the among the fan community it seems to be more of a concern that they depicted Jessica outwardly showing too much emotion, which her Bene Gesserit training would allow her to easily suppress. However, I think showing her have moments on weakness in private and in front of the Reverend Mother is an acceptable trade-off to minimise exposition in an adaptation of a book where a single chapter may be a brief exchange between two characters, during which you read the inner-thoughts of one (or sometimes both) of them at extreme length. If Jessica seems to treat Paul a bit coldly then the Gom Jabbar scene should at least serve to highlight the gravity of what she has inflicted on him by choosing to give birth to a son, no matter how much she loves him as one - his training in his nascent talents is a deadly serious task.

Quote Originally Posted by Panic View Post
    It's been a while since I last reread Dune, but iirc the two things you listed were not in the original book but were created for the miniseries. Irulan is something of a non-character in the first book, someone who is occasionally quoted in the chapter headings but doesn't actually appear until the last few pages.
    Really? It's been over 20 years since I read the book, so I didn't realize that. I plan to start re-reading it soon.

One thing I wasn't too fond of in the movie was Steallan Skarsgard channelling Marlon Brando as Col. Kurtz for the Baron. It just didn't work for me.

Quote Originally Posted by BeastieRunner View Post
    Dune: part one just scored WB's biggest opening of the pandemic.

CEO just soft confirmed part two.

I expect a formal announcement around Christmas.
    Looks like we got the formal announcement today. Dune Part II has been officially greenlit.

Looks like we got the formal announcement today. Dune Part II has been officially greenlit.
    Well, good!

I was just about to post that an internal memo, now a presser, stated that Dune: part one was the most streamed anything on HBO Max and they had the largest bump in subs due to Dune.

It passed on both numetrics!

YAY!
    "Always listen to the crazy scientist with a weird van or armful of blueprints and diagrams." -- Vibranium

Really? It's been over 20 years since I read the book, so I didn't realize that. I plan to start re-reading it soon.

One thing I wasn't too fond of in the movie was Steallan Skarsgard channelling Marlon Brando as Col. Kurtz for the Baron. It just didn't work for me.
    When I think of Stellan Skarsgard being understated I flash back to Cerdic in King Arthur (the Clive Owen version). Yes, that was Stellan Skarsgard as the villain in that movie, and he only raises his voice once.
    Dark does not mean deep.

Me too, down to the shot of him rubbing his bald head. I was waiting for him to say "The Horror! "
    There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!

Incredible Member

I knew that head-rub looked familiar I don't mind to be honest, I think Skarsgard was appropriately menacing because he was generally calm.

Also: very happy that Part 2 was green-lit, something to look forward to. Saw the first part mid-September and I'm still thinking about it. That rarely ever happens.

Quote Originally Posted by Kirby101 View Post
    Me too, down to the shot of him rubbing his bald head. I was waiting for him to say "The Horror! "
    It’s a flat-out cinematic quotation. There are a few other obvious ones in there, one of the most obvious ones being starting on a star field and panning up to a massive space ship in front of a planet.

Quote Originally Posted by Frobisher View Post
    It’s a flat-out cinematic quotation. There are a few other obvious ones in there, one of the most obvious ones being starting on a star field and panning up to a massive space ship in front of a planet.
    Yes, and they were pointless and unimaginative. Why quote Apocalypse Now in this. There is no connection between the Baron and Kurtz except they made him look like Brando.
    There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!

Astonishing Member David Walton's Avatar

The Harkonnens were the one visual that felt completely different than what I imagined from the book. I pictured more of a corrupt Roman family living in excessive luxury, not guys brooding in dimly lit rooms.

But most of the stuff felt right, and if it wasn't exactly what I saw, it is now.

I really enjoyed the movie and am happy to find out that part 2 has been green lit. Going in I knew that the movie would not cover the whole novel of the first book. There is alot of story to cram into one movie ask David Lynch. I do like where they left off with Paul going off into the wilderness with the fremen ending one chapter in his life (that was almost literally killed off) and in the doorway for the next. The movie is visually stunning and I love the casting.
    Some of the points I didn't like were: Right off the bat it was Chani with the opening, for some one that hasn't read the book that was fine but I wish that they would have stayed with Princess Irulan who for a soft spoiler becomes Paul's historian and chronicled the events of Paul's rise. I think the Harkonnens needed to fleshed out and I don't know why it didn't include Feyd-Rautha, I hope they don't drop him and only use The Beast Glossu Rabban in his place. Also only mention of the Padishah Emperor in dialogue, I wish that they would have at least shown him once. And lastly the Navigators, again only mentioned in conversation but their use of "Spice" is one of the main reason's it is so important, and I really wanted to see a visual of them because they are very unique.
    One good thing is my wife (who has never seen the 1984 Lynch move, The SyFy mini-series, or read any of the books) really enjoyed the move and wanted to know when the next one would be coming out.

I also saw a rumour that Warner Brothers may be in the works to develop a Dune: The Sisterhood series for HBO that will focus on the Bene Gesserit. I've thought that Dune would be better suited with the a Game of Thrones series like treatment than a cinematic one, why not both? Maybe the WB has something, with Frank Herbert's core books and Brian Herbert and Kevin J. Anderson many books that has expanded the universe, this could be a huge film/TV franchise if done well.
    Last edited by Moon Ronin; 10-27-2021 at 11:52 AM.
    Surely not everybody was kung fu fighting