Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Dune spoilers

Fantastic Member

Default Dune spoilers

I felt the movie looks great but it’s didn’t make me feel any more for it then Lynch’s film..who in my opinion depicted the baron and his nephew as true villains and the Benny geserit(spelling ) were awesome..here everything is pretty but dull.

Incredible Member

Saw it quite a while ago as it premiered in Europe already mid-September but I am still thinking about it and I must see it on a big screen again. I loved everything about it, the cast, the visuals, the music and sound design. I especially liked the relationship between Paul and his mother. It is rather slow and takes its time but I love it. The slow world building and the cinematography reminded me of the monumental movies of old, like a Lawrence of Arabia (although not that slow ).

Never hated the Lynch movie (actually I quite like it) but I recently rewatched it and I think the Harkonnen depiction was too over the top, especially the part where he pulls the plug on these poor slave people to drink their "blood" didn't make any sense and actually detracted from his menace. The calm, calculated portrayal of the Baron by Stellan Skarsgard made him more frightening in my view. Bautista's character compensates for that as he is an animal and if I remember correctly from the book, he was one also there. The depiction of the Sardaukar was also awesome, doing justice to the book. Also I thought the Villeneuve version explains just as much but through less exhausting exposition.

My only problem with it was that it ended and I really don't like that we will have to wait years to see the second part (if we even get it). Current box office take stands at 117 million (versus production costs of 165 million) and that's only international, so I'm hopeful that when it opens in the US, enough people will go see it in the theatres and that the HBO Max streaming will not kill the momentum.

It was decent enough. I actually still prefer Lynch's version but i'm quite willing to admit that a lot of nostalgia is involved here.

The music, the curiously 40's look of the uniform that i happen to love, the amazing casting, the fact that Herbert himself was consultant on that movie and of course Kyle MacLachlan's disturbing haircut, how to forget all that?

But, yeah, that new version is not bad at all. I do share your opinion that it's kinda dull though. But eh, i'm dude who grew up during the 80's so nothing is too flamboyant for me lol.

Oh, and i know it's not canon and quite frankly a bit on the silly side but i actually find that sound weapon of the Atreides in the 80's version to be a kinda cool idea.

Ultimate Member

So are people going to now pretend the old version was good?

I have a preview screening tonight.

I will let you know how it goes.
    "Always listen to the crazy scientist with a weird van or armful of blueprints and diagrams." -- Vibranium

Ultimate Member

Good luck. I hope it's good. The trailer already looks better than the whole original movie did

Quote Originally Posted by CosmiComic View Post
    So are people going to now pretend the old version was good?
    No, it was bad. But it had some cool and memorable moments.

Looking forward to seeing the new one and being disappointed yet again! Breaking it up into two parts is an odd move, to me. I'd much rather they have done a Jackson (RotK) and make the movie a bladder buster in length to just cover it all in one shot.
    Every day is a gift, not a given right.

Mighty Member

Not seen it yet, I would however love to watch Jodowosky's Dune at some point, that seems like am interesting documentary

The Lynch version is... Fine.
    But as a massive Lynch fan (he is my favorite director), it's my least favorite of his films).

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Taylor View Post
    No, it was bad. But it had some cool and memorable moments.

Looking forward to seeing the new one and being disappointed yet again! Breaking it up into two parts is an odd move, to me. I'd much rather they have done a Jackson (RotK) and make the movie a bladder buster in length to just cover it all in one shot.
    I thought the breaking a movie in 2 thing was passé, yet here we are

I don't recall which moments in the original were cool

Mighty Member

The visuals were great but overall I found the movie a bit underwhelming, never was emotionally invested in most of the characters enough to care what happened to them.

I think this would have worked better as a TV series.

Even Lynch thinks his version was bad, and it was. But at least he told the whole story in one film.This movie is just slow and boring, nice visuals, but nothing we haven't seen before. I have a lot of problems with it but one is we don't ever really see the Sandworms. We see a mouth, a big shadow at night, and a far away worm with a rider that looks like a cardboard cut out.
    I doubt there will be a sequel.
    There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!

BANNED

I feel like it's a sin to admit as a self-proclaimed nerd but I've never read the books. I do know they're beloved and considered classics of the genre. I've also never seen the Sting movie. So with all of that said, I did not like this movie.

I felt no connection to any character, I felt no reason to side with one faction over another (even when one was clearly portrayed as "the bad guys"), I didn't enjoy the battle scenes, I'd heard about the worms and when seeing this version I said "meh", I could see/pick up that there was a good bit of lore behind all of this, but it felt like I was getting 1/4-1/2 the story and when they were bothering to explain anything at all it was completely uncompelling.

It felt like a bunch of things that were supposed to be exciting but weren't, mixed with long stretches of boredom and dialogue that was supposed to explain who the characters were and what the world/society was but came across as reading an instruction manual or a restaurant's menu.

Why should I root against the Empire? Why should I care about psychic lad and the prophecy? Why should I care about the desert-folk? Why should I care about spice, and aside from being told it's important why can't I be shown in a convincing manner (reminded me of "unobtainium", blech)? Was I supposed to buy that psychic lad and Aquaman were the best of friends and his death had meaning? Maybe if I'd cared about either character it'd be different.

Seemed like a movie that would have been better off as a TV series and with a much smaller budget so they had to rely on storytelling rather than CGI and fight choreography. Though that doesn't sell tickets. I did like the dragonfly planes/helicopters. And seeing things that were referenced/homaged in other things (assume most of Morrowind and the "Voice of the Emperor" power were nods in the Bethesda games) was neat. Feel like I should just bite the bullet and read at least the first book. Still don't imagine that'd make me enjoy this movie. Might make me dislike it more.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by CSTowle View Post
    I feel like it's a sin to admit as a self-proclaimed nerd but I've never read the books. I do know they're beloved and considered classics of the genre. I've also never seen the Sting movie. So with all of that said, I did not like this movie.
    You referring to Dune like this is hilarious to me.

What was the spider, though?
    ~I just keep swimming through these threads~