Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 234567 LastLast

Thread: Dune spoilers

Quote Originally Posted by Ramsay Snow View Post
    The one casting decision I think was off was Josh Brolin as Gurney Halleck. His love of poetry is hinted at a couple times, but where's the guy who would break out into song? That's one thing the horrible 80s film captured better than Villeneuve, Patrick Stewart's spot-on performance as Gurney (Holding a pug in his arms during battle notwithstanding).

Brolin has name value, especially with how big Deadpool and the MCU had been in the box office, but they could've cast Brolin in a different role. He came across too grim.
    Apparently there was a scene or two with Gurney and his balliset, but they were left on the cutting room floor.

I think Brolin was an acceptable choice for Gurney, but I think Brolin didn't have enough screen time to really showcase the character. There were likely better choices for the role, I agree there, but I don't think Brolin was miscast so much as the film itself just didn't do full justice to the character, yknow?

And I think the makeup was too light. Gurney is supposed to be damn near nightmarish to look at, with that scar twisting his face up. If they had gone heavier on that it likely would have worked.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Kirby101 View Post
    I read the book before you were out of diapers and hated it.
    LOL. then why did you even bother watching the film?

it's especially weird since you didn't like most of Villeneuve's other films (if I remember correctly).

Quote Originally Posted by Totoro Man View Post
    LOL. then why did you even bother watching the film?

it's especially weird since you didn't like most of Villeneuve's other films (if I remember correctly).
    I see were that is confusing. It was in response to Scott T saying only people who had not read the book could hate the movie.
    My reply should have been, "I read the book before you were out of diapers and loved the book but hated the movie."
    Hope that is clearer. Loved the book, hated the movie.
    And yes, all his movies insist upon themselves.
    There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!

Quote Originally Posted by thwhtGuardian View Post
    Which honestly makes sense, sure she's his biological mother but she's also his father's concubine and while she's treated well and respected it's definitely a different role in the court where Paul was raised which would color their relationship.
    At some point watching the film, I couldn't shake the sense that Timothee Chalomet would be perfectly happy to sleep with Rebecca Ferguson. That got a little distracting.
    Sincerely,
    Thomas Mets

Extraordinary Member thwhtGuardian's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Mets View Post
    At some point watching the film, I couldn't shake the sense that Timothee Chalomet would be perfectly happy to sleep with Rebecca Ferguson. That got a little distracting.
    To be honest I always had that kind of feeling from the book, especially in the second half of the novel as Paul learns more of the Bene Gesserit ways. It is creepy, but again it fits with the world of Dune as it plays on the tropes of old world aristocracy.
    Looking for a friendly place to discuss comic books? Try The Classic Comics Forum!

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Kirby101 View Post
    I see were that is confusing. It was in response to Scott T saying only people who had not read the book could hate the movie.
    My reply should have been, "I read the book before you were out of diapers and loved the book but hated the movie."
    Hope that is clearer. Loved the book, hated the movie.
    And yes, all his movies insist upon themselves.
    ah, that makes more sense! I thought you might have been roped into a seeing it through a friend.

I finally read all of "Dune" this year... when we had that record-breaking heatwave I found my Dad's old copy and read it on vacation. somehow reading the book during 110 degree sweltering heat wave made the narrative "come alive" more! ;-)

I also found myself thinking "damn! Orson Welles would have made a pretty fantastic Baron Harkkonen."

I have to admit, that I was interested in the idea of Oscar Issac being cast as Duke Leto... he's not a bad actor.... and he basically looks like what I imagined Leto would look like while reading the novel.

Mighty Member

To be honest I always had that kind of feeling from the book, especially in the second half of the novel as Paul learns more of the Bene Gesserit ways. It is creepy, but again it fits with the world of Dune as it plays on the tropes of old world aristocracy.
    ?!?!? I never got that impression from the novel.

although Rebecca Ferguson does look pretty... I was kinda hoping that they'd give her dark red hair.

Incredible Member

After thinking about the movie since I first saw it seven weeks ago, I’m finally seeing it again in about 4 hours today. In the meantime I have read a lot of reviews, including all of yours in this thread and I’m curious to see whether it will hold up upon second viewing. Note that I loved it the first time.

Quote Originally Posted by CosmiComic View Post
    Any explanation for why the actors cast as Paul Atreides' parents don't look that much older than he does?
    Quote Originally Posted by Totoro Man View Post
    the biggest factor is that Chalamet is 25. Ferguson is 38. Isaac is 42.

add make up, lighting, and the fact that all of them are considered conventionally attractive people and the age gap doesn't look quite as large as it should... based on the novel.
    Spice slows down aging and the Nobles are huffing the stuff. So the parents looking young (or in their prime, might be the better term) is not far off from the books either.

And I guess for the Bene Gesserit on top of that, they have perfect control over their internal chemistry so they can slow down their aging drastically (like by hundreds of years, easily). They rarely use it though, at least, not to very noticeable levels. But Lady Jessica could be using some of that on top of the Spice to keep herself in tip-top shape.
    Last edited by I'm a Fish; 11-02-2021 at 06:29 AM.
    ~I just keep swimming through these threads~

Now that I've had time to mull it over, I like the movie a lot.

The one thing I didn't like was the weirding fighting style in this movie (the fighting style of the Bene Gesserit). In the books, when they are weirding they movie so fast it looks like they are teleporting, but in the movies it just looks like...regulars martial arts...
    ~I just keep swimming through these threads~

Yep, it kinda fits in that same creepy way. Jessica was also a bit of a rebel in the Bene Gesserit, having gone against the Reverend Mother in her teaching of Paul. The Gom Jabbar test was done really well in the movie, and showed that tension between Jessica and the order.

Also the Voice was pretty cool as implemented in this movie. It felt like a real violation, cringy as heck too.
    Last edited by Scott Taylor; 11-02-2021 at 01:48 PM.
    Every day is a gift, not a given right.

Incredible Member

Just back from seeing it the second time. Due to bad traffic I missed the first 10 minutes but wow do I love it even more now. When the credits rolled, I would have sat for another viewing with no problem.

Noticed different details than on the first viewing and this time it was with subtitles, allowing me to “hear” more of what was being said during noisy scenes.

I would go see it a third time but it’s in its 7th or 8th week here so it may disappear from the theaters next week.

Amazing movie, again in my head nonstop since I left the theater.

Quote Originally Posted by I'm a Fish View Post
    Spice slows down aging and the Nobles are huffing the stuff. So the parents looking young (or in their prime, might be the better term) is not far off from the books either.

And I guess for the Bene Gesserit on top of that, they have perfect control over their internal chemistry so they can slow down their aging drastically (like by hundreds of years, easily). They rarely use it though, at least, not to very noticeable levels. But Lady Jessica could be using some of that on top of the Spice to keep herself in tip-top shape.
    This is the biggest issue with adapting Dune. There's all these small details, like the various effects of spice on the biology, that get a single mention (if that) in the movie and are easy for audiences to miss or overlook.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

BANNED

Dune is no doubt one of the best technical made films of the year, I may even give it the edge over the Snyder Cut in that area when it comes to Sci Fi/ Fantasy/Comic movies.

I liked the film a whole lot and felt Dennis delivered as an amazing director, who understands how to make a visually astonishing film, However there was something about the film's story I felt offered so little when I know there was more. The movie felt like an abstract, we were reading a promising abstract of a course work and are still waiting for the actual dissertation.

I will give the film a solid good 7/10 overall even if I felt the film on a technical land scale is a solid 10/10

Saw this for the 3rd time (2nd time in IMAX) the other night. I’ve enjoyed it more and more with each viewing.

Although I still think the ending is a bit anti climactic, I think it would have been difficult to have a part 1 end any other way due to how the book is structured.

Honestly if you have the money, go see it in imax

Villeneuve was doing a q and a after my screening and he seemed lovely and humble