Results 1 to 11 of 11
  1. #1
    Astonishing Member Timothy Hunter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2017
    Location
    Underneath the Brooklyn Bridge
    Posts
    2,127

    Default Thoughts on Will Pfeifer's Catwoman?

    I'm curious how the follow up to Ed Brubaker's seminal run on the character is thought of by Catwoman fans. I've heard vaguely good things about it.

  2. #2
    Fantastic Member Twice-named's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2018
    Posts
    406

    Default

    I remember enjoying it overall. One choice was…interesting. Another one disappointing IMO. I didn’t like the Salvation Run tie-in issues.
    "It's not my Kate." - Greg Rucka

  3. #3
    Mighty Member witchboy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Posts
    1,009

    Default

    I love Pfeiffer's Catwoman. It has a strong arc, lots of action and interesting character development. The best Catwoman series imo.

  4. #4
    Post Editing OCD Confuzzled's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    Swingin' Above Ya
    Posts
    10,399

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by witchboy View Post
    I love Pfeiffer's Catwoman. It has a strong arc, lots of action and interesting character development. The best Catwoman series imo.
    What's your opinion on Ram V's run?

  5. #5
    Fantastic Member Twice-named's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2018
    Posts
    406

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by witchboy View Post
    I love Pfeiffer's Catwoman. It has a strong arc, lots of action and interesting character development. The best Catwoman series imo.
    As much as I enjoyed Pfeiffer's run, I still like Brubaker's run the best.
    "It's not my Kate." - Greg Rucka

  6. #6
    Moderator Frontier's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Posts
    75,292

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Confuzzled View Post
    What's your opinion on Ram V's run?
    Fielding this question, I think he has a good feel for Selina and writes a good Superhero noir Catwoman book.

  7. #7
    I'm at least a C-Lister! exile001's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    The Mothcave
    Posts
    2,225

    Default

    I really liked it. His Selina was always on point and made to look strong regardless of the circumstances or odds. Woods' art was fantastic.

    I felt the first half was stronger as Pfeifer got hit by a big editorial mandate for the second half (the dreaded One Year Later), and both were plagued with crossovers but he still managed to make it all work. His new Film Freak was genuinely chilling.
    Just. Be. Nice.

  8. #8
    of House Bolton Ramsay Snow's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    612

    Default

    I loved the portion of Pfeifer's run with Alvarez, which started from One Year Later. That's my favorite Catwoman run by far.....It had interesting characterization on Holly, Slam Bradley, the obsessive cop, and others, as well as cool, revamped villains like Film Freak and Hammer & Sickle. Even Angle Man, as well as newer characters like The Thief (and his partner) were pretty cool.....The weakest aspect of Pfeifer's run was the villains finding out about and threatening Selina's daughter, it was a bit too repetitive. That and Pfeifer had Selina beating Cheetah in a fight in Salvation Run. Sorry, no matter how badass you portray Selina to be, I can't see that happening. At least not the way it went down.

    I didn't care for what little I've read of Pfeifer's earlier Catwoman run with Woods.

    In fact, I'll go on to say the general time-frame of the Pfeifer-Alvarez run (2005-2010) was the best era of Batman comics, in my opinion:

    Morrison's Batman run
    Dini's Detective Comics run
    Batgirl (Bryan Q Miller)
    Birds of Prey (Gail Simone)
    Villains United (Gail Simone)
    Red Robin (Fabian Nicieza)
    The Web (Angela Robinson)----A pretty good book that went under the radar.

    There was a lot of good Bat-Family material back then.
    Last edited by Ramsay Snow; 10-14-2021 at 02:57 AM.

  9. #9
    Moderator Frontier's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Posts
    75,292

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Ramsay Snow View Post
    I loved the portion of Pfeifer's run with Alvarez, which started from One Year Later. That's my favorite Catwoman run by far.....It had interesting characterization on Holly, Slam Bradley, the obsessive cop, and others, as well as cool, revamped villains like Film Freak and Hammer & Sickle. Even Angle Man, as well as newer characters like The Thief (and his partner) were pretty cool.....The weakest aspect of Pfeifer's run was the villains finding out about and threatening Selina's daughter, it was a bit too repetitive. That and Pfeifer had Selina beating Cheetah in a fight in Salvation Run. Sorry, no matter how badass you portray Selina to be, I can't see that happening. At least not the way it went down.

    I didn't care for what little I've read of Pfeifer's earlier Catwoman run with Woods.

    In fact, I'll go on to say the general time-frame of the Pfeifer-Alvarez run (2005-2010) was the best era of Batman comics, in my opinion:

    Morrison's Batman run
    Dini's Detective Comics run
    Batgirl (Bryan Q Miller)
    Birds of Prey (Gail Simone)
    Villains United (Gail Simone)
    Red Robin (Fabian Nicieza)
    The Web (Angela Robinson)----A pretty good book that went under the radar.

    There was a lot of good Bat-Family material back then.
    That does sound like a pretty darn good era of Bat-comics...

  10. #10
    Astonishing Member BatmanJones's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Posts
    4,034

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    That does sound like a pretty darn good era of Bat-comics...
    It most certainly was but, the main title withstanding, I'm pretty darn happy about the current era of Bat-comics. Especially the mini's like Batman: Imposter and Robin and Batman, but others as well.

    I guess this is as good a place as any for me to push back on the complaint that there are too many Bat-comics coming from DC lately.

    I agree that there aren't enough non-Batman titles but hear me out...

    IMO the DCU generally is a huge playground, but so is Gotham City. I think it does a disservice to consider every book about the Bat-family, including Catwoman say, to only count as a Bat-book. More importantly though the Batman corner of the DCU is more than capable of being its own mythology all on its own.

    No other character enjoys a richer collection of characters (heroes, villains, and others) and hence a richer mythology than any other character by far.

    I'd go so far as to say that if a publisher was called "Detective Comics Comics" as the acronym goes, there would be a huge universe of characters to draw from and stories to tell. You can't say that of Superman or the Justice League or any other DC anything, not by a long shot.

    I feel the same way about the Black Hammer universe. It's strong enough and broad enough to sustain an entire line. I feel the same way about the Bat-mythology but even more strongly.

  11. #11
    I'm at least a C-Lister! exile001's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    The Mothcave
    Posts
    2,225

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by BatmanJones View Post
    I feel the same way about the Black Hammer universe. It's strong enough and broad enough to sustain an entire line. I feel the same way about the Bat-mythology but even more strongly.
    ...how tf have I manged to miss this? I'd heard the name Black Hammer but for some reason thought it was another spin-off in the Hellboy-verse (which I love but dear lord there's so much of it!). I just looked it up and it sounds right up my street. Cheers!
    Just. Be. Nice.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •