Page 1 of 24 1234511 ... LastLast

Default X-MEN #4 Reviews/Spoilers Thread

Nightmare came.

Jean Grey conquered.

Urich is taking notes and getting hotter.

Is Feilong Captain Krakoa...?

The issue opens with Jean and Scott sleeping, in the throes of nightmares centered on past traumas before Nightmare reveals himself. Nightmare takes a particular liking to Jean and delves a little more into her past before going after Laura, revealing that she has nightmares about the Vault and all that she doesn't remember.

Jean interrupts him, grabbing him on the Astral Plane (?) and warning him that she will "end" him if he doesn't leave her and her team alone. Nightmare vows that she has "made an enemy this night," before she dispels him completely. Lastly, she wishes the world "sweet dreams" and may have influenced those around her telepathically to sleep more peacefully, though this is not explicitly stated.

Later, Urich is seen at the cemetery taking notes. The grave of Nathan Summers is prominently shown.

Feilong is in space and subjects himself to the rays being shot through a ruby quartz diamond, noting "I vowed my body would be prepared for Mars...and so it shall be."

The end.

Last edited by Mercury; 10-13-2021 at 06:10 AM.

BANNED

No details on the spoilers? No full review?

Fam add more details to this post or you run the risk of it getting deleted.

As a Jean fan; loved it. As a Laura fan; hated it.

Quote Originally Posted by Kingdom X View Post

I didn't realize that. Will do!

Updated the op.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Mercury View Post
    Updated the op.
    It was acknowledged Jean was the Dark Phoenix and also teen Jean. We saw her in the Hellfire Gala costume and in the green Phoenix costume.

She totally owned Nightmare and said she is an omega telepath AND telekinetic. She let him hi but said she would end him if he showed up again.

I like how she said to atone for what she did as Dark Phoenix she will leave the world and universe in a better place.

Quote Originally Posted by WallStreeter View Post
    It was acknowledged Jean was the Dark Phoenix and also teen Jean. We saw her in the Hellfire Gala costume and in the green Phoenix costume.

She totally owned Nightmare and said she is an omega telepath AND telekinetic. She let him hi but said she would end him if he showed up again.

I like how she said to atone for what she did as Dark Phoenix she will leave the world and universe in a better place.
    True! Also, there might have been a new costume reveal!

I enjoyed this issue. I felt if there had to be one that wasn't drawn by Larraz, this would be it. The art did a great job capturing the "Devil's Night" and nightmare feel of the issue.
    Jean definitely flexed on Nightmare and I'm still happy with the writing on this book. I missed seeing Synch, but he'll be back.
    Mutant and Proud!

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Kingdom X View Post

Agreed. I was afraid from the start that Laura's whole purpose on the book was to snarl and bub her way through fights, and then angst over a relationship she was never part of, and memories that are honestly irrelevant — New!Laura lost at MOST a few months from her last backup. And because of the Sliding Time Scale it's only going to end up being a couple hours, anyway — and that's exactly what happened.

Scott and Jean got deep dives into their history, of traumas that they long ago came to terms with. Yet the best they could do for Laura was a story that she wasn't even the primary focus for because the only purpose it served was Synch's development?

Screw this. I'm done with this tripe.

I'm sorry to say it, but this was a bummer. Even X-Force this week was better. I don't know what Duggan intended with this Nightmare story, but it accomplished nothing for me. At this point, at issue 4, I'd rather read the X-men team talking during breakfast about their Halloween plans, showing how they are feeling about this new X-men incarnation and what not, than to just have this villain attack and Jean to stop him. Nothing against a Jean focused issue, but it was not even interesting enough. Feels like filler and I don't think it is time for this.

Duggan sometimes is very decompressed, a thing I hate in comics. That is a big problem he had in some parts of Marauders and mostly Cable, but he didn't do that in this book... Until now.

Great art though. Pina is very talented and created some cool scenes. The one with Cyclops in a coffin was great. Meh colors.

Overall it was a good issue and it was a good showing for Jean so congrats to her fans. Looking forward to next month and hopefully seeing more of the team.

Quote Originally Posted by Weather View Post
    Great art though. Pina is very talented and created some cool scenes. The one with Cyclops in a coffin was great. Meh colors.
    This one! I think Pina will be great fill-in artist moving forward.

It was alright but it feels like Duggan is stalling until the next relaunch. This issue barely moved things forward.

While I want to note that I understand how fans of other characters feel about not having their favorites showcased (BELIEVE ME, I understand), I also want to say that Jean has deserved this focus and level of writing for a long time. Moreover, she was placed on the backburner for most of Hickman's run and I never let it cloud my judgment or make me dislike Hickman's wonderful work. I only hope some of you can be as objective.

Quote Originally Posted by Mercury View Post
    Nightmare came.

Nightmare takes a particular liking to Jean and delves a little more into her past before going after Laura, revealing that she has nightmares about the Vault and all that she doesn't remember.
    That's my biggest problem with this issue.
    Starting on positive note, the art is gorgeous, if you are Jean's fan this issue serves. If you are Polaris, Synch, Rogue fan - they are not here. Sunfire has 1 panel.
    If you are Laura fan, which I am..well, it's not a pleasant read. YMMV.
    First we get Laura having nightmare about, of course, Vault. She was resurrected with a back up of going in, so technically she shouldn't have any gaps in memory, yet she feels it. And, as Nightmare comments, it's what makes her truly Wolverine, blank points in memory. She fight's Vault!Laura, idk how she knows what she looked like, but of course being a good Wolverine she is, she stabs her.
    Next there is sentence: "She doesn't want to love him", which I'm glad, but what? Like huh, where, how? How gaining Synch memories would make her love him? What kind of logic is that. She also doesn't know what they had together, so why she mentions love?

I really don't like, where I have a strong heroine, and she's all about man. It's like she's reduced only to that plotline, like nothing before X-Men 5 ever happened.
    I tried, I was being positive all through Fallen Angels, X-men 5 to over a year of her absence from comics at all. X-Men 18 was good, 19 was ok, didn't enjoy romance plotline, but whatever, nothing harming.
    Yet now, it doesn't feel like herself, I do want to enjoy it, I just can't. Which is awful, I waited long year for her, was happy that she's going to be part of X-Men, with every issue before I've written, that we have to wait, to see if Duggan can write her and stuff.