Page 4 of 24 FirstFirst 1234567814 ... LastLast

For a Hallowe'en special featuring Nightmare it doesn't match up to the high watermark of Generation X (vol 1) issue 22. I kind of expected it to be hornier given the preview. File it under missed opportunities for filler.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Tycon View Post
    Explain how it’s “forced”? Of all of her romances, this makes far more sense than her shacking up with her bully or some rich kid who’s the time-displaced version of the man she was paranoid about being on X-Force. They spent hundreds of years together in enemy territory, surviving only because they had each other. Also,,, Synch’s hot.
    Those make more sense than Sync.

In on issue, they went from having no relationship to having this ultimate romance?

And only Sync remembers and he wants her back, and we're supposed to now look at this story as Laura being afraid of how great her romance with Sync is. Sync also comes off creepy longing after her. But the male writers think, a man creepily longing for a woman makes him endearing.

If you want a romance to succeed you don't tell people on day one how amazing it is, you show it to people over time. Now they will never be a popular couple. Look how much the Laura fans hate this book now.The best romances are slow burners.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Journey View Post
    I do enjoy that subconsciously she knows it's hideous & has to go.
    Meaning Jean is going to get a costume change soon….,

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Omega Alpha View Post
    Reading this right after Immortal Hulk is like driving an old broken truck right after spending the day in a Ferrari. A completely unnecessary issue that sees Jean beat Nightmare along through the power of Mary Sueness, I mean, kindness.

Also, between the mention of Jean as an Omega Level Telepath and Telekinetic and Emma as an Omega Telepath in Wolverine last week, it's pretty clear writers are throwing Hickman's careful explanation and classification in the trash in favor of propping up whoever character they like, and JDW is happy to let them.
    Some old school fams just hate powerful women. I bet you don’t disparage the Hulk beating someone up as Mary Sue.

Quote Originally Posted by Dante Milton View Post
    If you want to try to make the silly dress scene deeper than it was…
    Firstly, by their nature, dreams usually belie “deeper,” more profound meanings and truths. Secondly, I may have read that scene as trolling had he not included the part after the ellipsis: “It’s not for me…or you.” Considering that this is Jean’s nightmare and that all players in dreams represent a facet of the dreamer’s psyche, i.e., usually the subconscious, I interpret this moment as Jean telling herself “this is not you.” Moreover, weeks ago, Duggan replied to a fan who asked him to change her costume with the following, “I hear you. 🥃,” which many read as a “just wait,” so there are a few reasons to interpret this scene as I am.

Finally, nothing Duggan has written for Jean, be it in Cable, Planet Size X-Men, or in the current series, has indicated that he dislikes or would reduce himself to shading her. On the contrary, in each of those titles he has consistently chosen to write her respectfully, imbuing her with strength, dignity, and assertiveness. Furthermore, time and again, even outside of this series, he has made it a point of spotlighting her as a leader. Ultimately, if you choose to read this as an insipid and sophomoric dig - mind you, per your admission, without having read the rest of the issue or how Duggan handles her throughout - that’s on you.
    Last edited by Mercury; 10-13-2021 at 08:05 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by WallStreeter View Post
    Meaning Jean is going to get a costume change soon….,
    That's exactly what I thought. Or Duggan is trolling the miniskirt haters haha
    "Danielle... I intend to do something rash and violent." - Betsy Braddock
    Krakoa, Arakko, and Otherworld forever!

Duggan's X-Men feels like Saturday morning cartoons.

Quote Originally Posted by RamaBird View Post
    Those make more sense than Sync.

In on issue, they went from having no relationship to having this ultimate romance?

And only Sync remembers and he wants her back, and we're supposed to now look at this story as Laura being afraid of how great her romance with Sync is. Sync also comes off creepy longing after her. But the male writers think, a man creepily longing for a woman makes him endearing.

If you want a romance to succeed you don't tell people on day one how amazing it is, you show it to people over time. Now they will never be a popular couple. Look how much the Laura fans hate this book now.The best romances are slow burners.
    Synch wasn’t the only one going through hell in the Vault so no, it wouldn’t make sense if it were only him.

And what has Synch done to warrant him being ‘creepy’? Absolutely nothing. Aw, he likes a woman he spent hundreds of years with and lost? If this was about Laura and Jubilee, y’all would be jumping up and down for joy. Nothing in the Vault arc calls this the ultimate relationship or a one true pairing… they had a romance when their backs were against a wall and now Laura’s worried about reclaiming that life. All this stuff about creepy longing and Laura “only being here for a man” is all projection. We even see in her nightmare that she’s also struggling with these memories because it’s a literal blank in her memories that she can feel.

And no offense, but Laura fans are in the same boat as Jean fans atp. Just complaining to complain. Re-read All-New Wolverine if you wanna see Laura be a partnerless heroine who only looks out for her sister.

Glad to finally see a bit of introspection into Jean's character, it was about time! I also liked the depiction of Scott's nightmare. Laura's one was kinda lazy and while I like the Vault storyline in Hickman's X-Men, I think that it shouldn't be the only thing defining Laura these days (has she been informed her sister died and resurrected? hmm). It was a nice issue, totally a filler but grateful to have some inner voice for Jean finally.
    Last edited by Starchilde; 10-13-2021 at 08:10 AM.

Astonishing Member

Synch wasn’t the only one going through hell in the Vault so no, it wouldn’t make sense if it were only him.

And what has Synch done to warrant him being ‘creepy’? Absolutely nothing. Aw, he likes a woman he spent hundreds of years with and lost? If this was about Laura and Jubilee, y’all would be jumping up and down for joy. Nothing in the Vault arc calls this the ultimate relationship or a one true pairing… they had a romance when their backs were against a wall and now Laura’s worried about reclaiming that life. All this stuff about creepy longing and Laura “only being here for a man” is all projection. We even see in her nightmare that she’s also struggling with these memories because it’s a literal blank in her memories that she can feel.

And no offense, but Laura fans are in the same boat as Jean fans atp. Just complaining to complain. Re-read All-New Wolverine if you wanna see Laura be a partnerless heroine who only looks out for her sister.
    Hear hear!!! Posters labeling Synch creepy always made me give the side eye.

Mighty Member

I don't think Jean fans are complaining about this issue?

So what if there was no romance in her solo book? I think that's why most of us loved that book.

And I'm not calling Sync creepy, I'm calling the writers creepy for thinking this story would work the way it's been presented.

The male writers do this a lot though. A few years ago, they had Colossus creepily stalking Kitty and the audience hated it. The sad thing is you can tell they want these moments to come off as the male partner romantically longing for the female (as opposed to vice versa) but the problem is the females could care less (Kitty) or is creeped out by him (Laura). (And yes, most of us would be creeped out by someone saying they had this powerful relationship with a "version" that may or may not still be alive) . It's almost what an "incel" would think is "romantic".

Another creepy example is when they had Old Man Logan longing for teen Jean cause she reminded him of the adult Jean he had an affair/romance with.
    Last edited by RamaBird; 10-13-2021 at 08:26 AM.

I like the fact that laura has a blank spot due to the vault and her death, imo it greatly cements that these are in fact the real thing and not clones. Given when laura died almost making it completely out the vault it's not hard to believe Cerebro could have captured a little more of her upload than previously thought but not all of it.

Though i wouldn't be surprised if the twist is Laura did not die in the vault and healed and a version is still trapped there.
    Last edited by jwatson; 10-13-2021 at 08:30 AM.
    Don't let anyone else hold the candle that lights the way to your future because only you can sustain the flame.
    Number of People on my ignore list: 0
    #conceptualthinking ^_^
    #ByeMarvEN

Into the breach.
    https://www.instagram.com/jartist27/

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by jwatson View Post
    I like the fact that laura has a blank spot due to the vault and her death, imo it greatly cements that these are in fact the real thing and not clones. Given when laura died almost making it completely out the vault it's not hard to believe Cerebro could have captured a little more of her upload than previously thought but not all of it.
    But what about that Laura? Isn't she still in the vault? I can't help but think they might bring vault Laura back as a villain for hero Laura?

Also, if I had written the Laura/Sync romance, I would've not had it happen in the vault. I'd have Laura find a different family in the vault (maybe they could be future villains mad that Laura "left" them?), and that's what she fears remembering. Sync was there so he helps her remember, and through him helping her, then they start to slowly fall in love.

Agreed. People are creating "creepy" vibes from Everett in their minds. I haven't seen one creepy thing.
    "Danielle... I intend to do something rash and violent." - Betsy Braddock
    Krakoa, Arakko, and Otherworld forever!

Quote Originally Posted by jwatson View Post

Though i wouldn't be surprised if the twist is Laura did not die in the vault and healed and a version is still trapped there.
    That's true, it would be interesting to see how those "ghost memories", incomplete, are affecting the resurrected. Laura needs more introspection from her POV in that matter.