Page 23 of 24 FirstFirst ... 13192021222324 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by FluffyCyclopsRLZ View Post
    Overthinking this. This is about scenery-chewing and reliving her Jeen Glory Days.
    I suppose we'll see if this is true or not within the next 3-6 months.

Tier 1:
    Marvel Girl: Pretty much her own MVP issue, always been given something plot-meaningful to do so far, villains praising her just because [as the High Evolutionary put it, she is "extremely intelligent"]. *Significantly* ahead of the pack.
    I'm charmed by the fact that you see it this way. All I have to say is: She fucking deserves it. All of it.

Tier 2:
    Synch: Issue #2's MVP, ongoing character arc/presence. On the quiet side, but solid overall.
    Polaris: Came out the gate strong, but not much to chew on ever since. Was tempted to put her in Tier 3, but she did stand next to Jean for a while in Issue #2. Really shouldn't be a Power Ranking metric and yet...

Tier 3:
    Sunfire: Issue #3's MVP, but pretty much a non-entity in literally ever other scene.
    Cyclops: In a weird place. More speech bubbles than Polaris/Synch/Sunfire, hasn't given orders that didn't make sense, has an obvious personal arc upcoming, but holy hell has he been the team's Distressed Dude so far.

Tier 4:
    Rogue: She's... there.
    Wolverine: Sliced Synch's finger open.

Any major objections?
    I can agree with this. I think Duggan has held off on highlighting Scott more precisely because he's a major arc coming. Also, Laura has done more than slice Synch's finger open (LOL!). We got a peek into her fears in this issue. Obviously, it's not the fulcrum upon which her character spins, but it certainly hints at that being the reason why she's been so subdued.

We'll see how it goes. I, for one, am on for the entire ride.

Embrace the fluff FluffyCyclopsRLZ's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mercury View Post
    I suppose we'll see if this is true or not within the next 3-6 months.
    You didn't get a "How could I get be the best possible me? Oh, I know, rocking on an updated version of Jeen's Bendis era outfit!" vibe from the nightmare sequence with Emma?

I'm charmed by the fact that you see it this way.
    Not even a matter of interpretation, really, there's just no other way to see it, period. Jean would go on strike/take naps for the next two issues and she'd most likely still be in the lead. Apart from Lorna speeding past Everett and Anna/Laura speeding past Scott, I'm not expecting a major Power Rankings shakeup. Let's be real, the only character with a maybe-decent chance of blasting past her is Captain Krakoa. Which is amusing bonkers when you think about it.

I can agree with this. I think Duggan has held off on highlighting Scott more precisely because he's a major arc coming. Also, Laura has done more than slice Synch's finger open (LOL!). We got a peek into her fears in this issue. Obviously, it's not the fulcrum upon which her character spins, but it certainly hints at that being the reason why she's been so subdued.
    She showed up for one page and the one thing she whined about was the dude whose finger she sliced open. I'm well aware that Laura's done other things. It's just that slicing Everett's finger open has objectively been her most important contribution to the series' overall narrative so far. Which is... once again, amusing bonkers when you think about it.
    Last edited by FluffyCyclopsRLZ; 10-17-2021 at 04:23 AM.

I think we all preferred it when jean would stand behind, say "nnng I can't get past their psi blocks" and then faint for added effect.

Quote Originally Posted by Del torro View Post
    I think we all preferred it when jean would stand behind, say "nnng I can't get past their psi blocks" and then faint for added effect.
    Lol. Seriously! I am glad the character is competent and powerful. There were so many complaints about her just being a telephone when this era started. I don't see the problem with her portrayal in this issue.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Devaishwarya View Post
    If Nightmare was owning everybody's ass and Jean was helpless to stop him...there'll be outcries against Duggan.
    Jean is shown to be competent against a mega threat and...there's outcry about "nerfing" and too OP ****.
    And so a hero beating the villain is now "bad" writing in superhero comics.

There's just no pleasing some and that's why the writers do not take any of that nonsense seriously...because quite frankly, none of you know what the hell you want to read.

Insanely powered villains have been defeated time and time again by heroes less powerful...that is comics, since inception and if some of you can't come to terms with that you might just need to stop reading comics all-together if it's such a painful chore and the writers cannot do anything right.
    Duggan made it a point that Nightmare was nothing to her, She's struggled more w/ human minds (not including PIS/Psi blockers) than she did w/ this.
    Take Spider-man vs Firelord, another PIS fight but we get Spider-man struggling and then pulling through.

Quote Originally Posted by The tall man View Post
    Yes insanely powerful villains get defeated by less powerful heroes but it should take some effort to accomplish and the villain should at least put up a decent fight and not come off as some chump. But nowadays it's just I'm an all-powerful omega so I can curb stomp anyone, where is the challenge in that? Any decent writer worth their money should be able to craft a story that showcases the adversaries in a fashion that doesn't downplay their abilities. But for some it's not about a compelling story its only about power levels and feats.
    All this, and how do you have her not just insta win against a majority of the threats they will face if she can demolish a fear god casually while clinging to her humanity?If this is her power level I want to see Duggan maintain it, and having her knocked out isn't really a good way since she has very strong TK.

Quote Originally Posted by Jbenito View Post
    I would guess a lot of X-Book readers don't even know who Nightmare is and don't quite care.

Comic writers notoriously write heroes and villains at varied power levels. It's like some of you are new.
    Still, the writer should.I get varying power levels, but there's a limit to that.

Quote Originally Posted by Devaishwarya View Post
    In the context of Duggan's story Nightmare wasn't doing anything truly overpowered and threatening as his power description indicates.
    It being Halloween night, He was generally just prancing around in people's dreams having a gay old time when Jean found him out, put a stop to his silliness and sent him off with a stern warning.
    In no part of the story I read did he unleash the ultimate totality of his might and powers, which he could have but didn't...which is why Jean just chastised him.
    In the context of the story I don't think this one and done was actually meant to be a serious power display arc for either villain or hero...just a quiet moment for Jean to step up and flex a bit and...there's absolutely nothing wrong with that.
    I's agree but it was the entire issue, a quite moment would be if Nightmare was trying to attack but Jean closed him off in like 4-6 pages.

And why didn't he, once Jean sent him off he could have just used magic.

It's all in good fun, but there are definitely quote a few plot holes here.

Quote Originally Posted by Kisinith View Post
    The angst over Nightmare being defeated by an Omega level Telepath in a telepathic battle (that he was clearly unprepared for, while basically out on a joyride) seems to overlook that he has also been defeated by Captain America and Sharon Carter while trying to "corrupt the American Dream" and once by Stan Lee who repeatedly bludgeoned him with a tennis racket. Somehow, I don't think this issue has really done all that much to harm his status.

A bit more seriously, people in a rush to condemn the issue seem to think that just because a character is capable of achieving X levels of power, that any time they don't bring all of it to bear means they were somehow out of character. In a fight one of the most important tactics is to catch the enemy by surprise. Nightmare wasn't enacting some devious plot to take out the X-Men, he was taking an opportunistic lark to Earth and got caught by surprise. He was able to launch a heavy attack but it played into Jeans strength as it was a psychic attack against arguably the worlds most powerful psychic. He then tried to power up by feeding upon the psychic energy of the dreamers around him. Now the way it reads to me with him then surrounded by the various different "Jeans" was that she blocked him from consuming that psychic energy and banished him. Its a strong showing but it actually makes sense, much more so than Hulk, Spider-Man, Wolverine, Black Panther, Captain America, Daredevil, Moon Knight... etc... etc, beating him, which they have all done.
    Hey man, Stan Lee could kick Nightmare's butt and you know it.

A big factor is also the sheer ease w/ which it's done, I think almost all of them including Doc Strange struggled when they beat him.

Also can you give scans or issues for "Hulk, Spider-Man, Wolverine, Black Panther, Captain America, Daredevil, Moon Knight... etc... etc, beating him".I can't find 616 Spider-man vs nightmare scans.

Overthinking this. This is about scenery-chewing and reliving her Jeen Glory Days.

Anyway. Whether Duggan's current use of the cast is great or not-so-great is obviously up for debate, but folks wouldn't actually object that much over the current Power Rankings' general thrust, right? For instance:

Tier 1:
    Marvel Girl: Pretty much her own MVP issue, always been given something plot-meaningful to do so far, villains praising her just because (lololololol). *Significantly* ahead of the pack.

Tier 2:
    Synch: Issue #3's MVP, ongoing character arc/presence. On the quiet side, but solid overall.
    Polaris: Came out the gate strong, but not much to chew on ever since. Was tempted to put her in Tier 3, but she did stand next to Jean for a while in Issue #2. Really shouldn't be a Power Ranking metric and yet...

Tier 3:
    Sunfire: Issue #2's MVP, but pretty much a non-entity in literally ever other scene.
    Cyclops: In a weird place. More speech bubbles than Polaris/Synch/Sunfire, hasn't given orders that didn't make sense, has an obvious personal arc upcoming, but holy hell has he been the team's Distressed Dude so far.

Tier 4:
    Rogue: She's... there.
    Wolverine: Sliced Synch's finger open.

Any major objections?

[Edit]: Had interverted Synch and Sunfire's MVP Issues.
    Rogue should be in her own tier here, Laura has the whole Synch thing atleast.

2 extremes, although the one we have is better than what we had before.

You didn't get a "How could I get be the best possible me? Oh, I know, rocking on an updated version of Jeen's Bendis era outfit!" vibe from the nightmare sequence with Emma?
    You know I didn’t interpret it that way. �� I perceived a little more depth in that scene.

Not even a matter of interpretation, really, there's just no other way to see it, period. Jean would go on strike/take naps for the next two issues and she'd most likely still be in the lead. Apart from Lorna speeding past Everett and Anna/Laura speeding past Scott, I'm not expecting a major Power Rankings shakeup. Let's be real, the only character with a maybe-decent chance of blasting past her is Captain Krakoa. Which is amusing bonkers when you think about it.
    I love that she’s getting the attention and that it doesn’t feel forced. This issue is the first in which she has had substantial panel time dedicated to her, and it was obviously done in service of establishing her drives, inner conflicts, and level of power. However, in the next issue, it seems she gets KO’ed and Lorna is central, so Duggan is definitely balancing the scales. I’m certainly not complaining. I'm actually excited for Lorna. Then again, I don't begrudge other characters just because my favorite character isn't in the spotlight.

She showed up for one page and the one thing she whined about was the dude whose finger she sliced open. I'm well aware that Laura's done other things. It's just that slicing Everett's finger open has objectively been her most important contribution to the series' overall narrative so far. Which is... once again, amusing bonkers when you think about it.
    Actually, in issue #1, she was the one who defeated the alien. As Jean noted, “Another good plan, Wolverine. Thanks to you, it’s no longer broadcasting death.” In issue #2 she gets a couple of scenes in which she’s slicing open creatures from the waves of annihilation. In issue #3 she has a couple of fighting moments plus the moment with Synch, which was somewhat evocative, before slicing his finger. And, of course, in this issue, she gets an entire page dedicated to her current fears. Some may not like that Duggan chose to spotlight the vault or her relationship with Synch, but this is obviously a thread he plans on expounding upon. Admittedly, she hasn’t been given much dialogue, but Duggan seems to be building to that. She certainly hasn’t been a background character. In fact, none of them have been, really.

In issue #1, Rogue was the first to attack the alien and saved Lorna, who, in the same issue, shielded the entire team with surrounding metal and was instrumental in creating the X-Bot, which was fueled by Sunfire and was Synch's idea (he basically led the team during that sequence). Issue #2 opens with Rogue and, in a cute scene, underscores how serious she is about and dedicated to being a part of the new team. Jean and Synch do shine in #2, but so does Lorna, who shields several blocks of the town from the waves of annihilation, before joining Jean in a pretty cool circuit. Rogue also kicks some ass, and Sunfire steals the show with his incredible feat and endearing Gala speech/monologue. In issue #3, Rogue is, again, the first one to strike, this time against the High Evolutionary, before Lorna follows suit and slams Luminous. Sunfire, too, let's it rip, but, along with Lorna, is KO'd.

In fact, after skimming all of the issues, I feel Scott has been the least impressive in terms of power displays, though he has gotten great moments as a leader and, again, will have a major arc coming up.

Ugh. That fucking cartoon.

Quote Originally Posted by Saturius View Post
    Lol. Seriously! I am glad the character is competent and powerful. There were so many complaints about her just being a telephone when this era started. I don't see the problem with her portrayal in this issue.
    The thing is, some people actively want her to just be a telephone, lol.

Quote Originally Posted by Spiderfan001 View Post
    Duggan made it a point that Nightmare was nothing to her, She's struggled more w/ human minds (not including PIS/Psi blockers) than she did w/ this.
    Take Spider-man vs Firelord, another PIS fight but we get Spider-man struggling and then pulling through.
    Again, she was able to evade detection and possession by Knull, whose mind she ransacked. Knull, a god, is much more powerful than Nightmare, a Class Three Demon.

All this, and how do you have her not just insta win against a majority of the threats they will face if she can demolish a fear god casually while clinging to her humanity?If this is her power level I want to see Duggan maintain it, and having her knocked out isn't really a good way since she has very strong TK.
    I don't think Jean getting knocked out in the next issue is indicative of inconsistency in her portrayal by Duggan. For all we know, she could be fighting against something else before suffering a sneak attack.

I agree but it was the entire issue, a quiet moment would be if Nightmare was trying to attack but Jean closed him off in like 4-6 pages.

And why didn't he, once Jean sent him off he could have just used magic.

It's all in good fun, but there are definitely quote a few plot holes here.
    I think Duggan wanted to underscore just how powerful Jean is. Also, Emma has subverted magical attacks before, so Jean could certainly do the same.

Hey man, Stan Lee could kick Nightmare's butt and you know it.

A big factor is also the sheer ease w/ which it's done, I think almost all of them including Doc Strange struggled when they beat him.
    Dr. Strange and a slew of other heroes were also overtaken by Knull, which Jean managed to avoid. Even Xavier wasn't able to maintain contact with the heroes who went up against Knull after he beat and possessed them. He also wasn't able to establish contact with Dylan, who was trapped by Knull in "an orb of symbiotes." However, Jean managed to bypass Knull's defenses and communicate directly with Dylan. I note this because a precedent has been established when it comes to Jean gaining the upper hand against a being as and more powerful than Nightmare.

She's an Omega Level Mutant. It's about time she is shown acting like one.
    Last edited by Mercury; 10-17-2021 at 10:41 AM.

Omega Level Mutants have been jobbing for too long.

Glad writers are putting a stop to that.
    The Krakoans are EEEvil!

THEY MUST BE STOPPED!

I love that she’s getting the attention and that it doesn’t feel forced. This issue is the first in which she has had substantial panel time dedicated to her, and it was obviously done in service of establishing her drives, inner conflicts, and level of power. However, in the next issue, it seems she gets KO’ed and Lorna is central, so Duggan is definitely balancing the scales. I’m certainly not complaining. I'm actually excited for Lorna. Then again, I don't begrudge other characters just because my favorite character isn't in the spotlight.
    I long believed that Lorna and Jean could coexist and aid in each others story. They are not an interesting or well liked relationship as yet as their mentors certainly are.

Lorna and Jean if they fail to gain popular traction as a friendship will most likely do so because they fell into a similar hole as Lorna/Rachel. Lorna spent five years in space with Rachel and one year on X-Factor and their relationship is ultimately friendly, but one note, paper thin and thus entirely forgettable. The monster of the week format of X-Men right now somewhat lends itself to battles between fans over who gets what. Each issue is focused on hammering at some opponent and unless there is philosophical conflict or romantic intrigue attached there is not a lot to debate other then who did better in the fight or had a better showing.
    Last edited by jmc247; 10-17-2021 at 01:43 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by jmc247 View Post
    I long believed that Lorna and Jean could coexist and aid in each others story. They are not an interesting or well liked relationship as yet as their mentors certainly are.
    Duggan and Williams have depicted their relationship as beyond cordial; they already come across as close friends. For example, they've worked together intimately in X-Men, and, in The Trial of Magneto, Jean was shown both defending Lorna from and comforting her after Magneto's attack. Also, they later shared that private moment in which Lorna suggested that Jean mindwipe the Avengers, which she declined to do and Lorna passively criticized her for. So I think it's safe to say that their relationship will continue to deepen and be explored.

Quote Originally Posted by jmc247 View Post
    The monster of the week format somewhat lends itself to battles between fans over who gets what. Each issue is focused on hammering at some opponent and unless there is philosophical conflict or romantic intrigue attached there is not alot to debate other then who did better in the fight or had a better showing.
    Maybe debating shouldn't be the ultimate goal. While Duggan hasn't deep-dived into any of the characters' internal lives, he has peppered each issue with hints regarding most of their drives and internal conflicts. He has done this primarily with Jean and Shiro and, to a slightly lesser extent, Everett. I would also venture to say that he may have just shown us why Laura, who is aware that she is missing a whole chunk of her memory, has been so subdued and reserved and what may be preoccupying Scott.

In terms of Lorna, he may be holding off until Williams reveals what her emotional arc for her is in the ToM. He may be doing the same with Rogue, meaning he's waiting for the fallout of Inferno, which involves her parents, and from which Hickman chose to exclude her due to not having enough time or space. Now that I think of it, maybe Hickman shared what he had in mind for Rogue during Inferno, and Duggan plans to incorporate that into this series.

In either case, I feel like I have some idea of where each character is coming from, which is great, considering we're only on the fourth issue and on the precipice of three paradigm-shifting events (i.e., Inferno, The Trial of Magneto, and X Lives/X Deaths of Wolverine). I've noted this before, but it bears repeating: Duggan is in a tricky place in that he has to develop this new series and team while making sure not to step on Hickman's or Williams' toes and to keep his eyes on what Percy has planned, which, again, is supposedly going to redefine the status quo and define the new era. It's a juggling act, and not one I think many writers have been called to perform. Seriously, we need to be more patient with him and aware of the incredible amount of stress he must be under. He must feel like he's walking on eggshells.

Duggan and Williams have depicted their relationship as beyond cordial; they already come across as close friends. For example, they've worked together intimately in X-Men, and, in The Trial of Magneto, Jean was shown both defending Lorna from and comforting her after Magneto's attack. Also, they later shared that private moment in which Lorna suggested that Jean mindwipe the Avengers, which she declined to do and Lorna passively criticized her for. So I think it's safe to say that their relationship will continue to deepen and be explored.
    Of that I have no doubt. I am providing my opinion that scenes like the one with the Avengers and the mind wipe question when they are not on the same page are actually good and helpful to avoiding typical pitfalls with Lorna and friendships. I am also saying quality is more important then quantity. I was pointing out what I believe prevented Rachel and Polaris taking off as a friendship not on what they are doing with Jean and Lorna as yet as that is in its infancy.

Maybe debating shouldn't be the ultimate goal. While Duggan hasn't deep-dived into any of the characters' internal lives, he has peppered each issue with hints regarding most of their drives and internal conflicts. He has done this primarily with Jean and Shiro and, to a slightly lesser extent, Everett. I would also venture to say that he may have just shown us why Laura, who is aware that she is missing a whole chunk of her memory, has been so subdued and reserved and what may be preoccupying Scott.

In terms of Lorna, he may be holding off until Williams reveals what her emotional arc for her is in the ToM. He may be doing the same with Rogue, meaning he's waiting for the fallout of Inferno, which involves her parents, and from which Hickman chose to exclude her due to not having enough time or space. Now that I think of it, maybe Hickman shared what he had in mind for Rogue during Inferno, and Duggan plans to incorporate that into this series.

In either case, I feel like I have some idea of where each character is coming from, which is great, considering we're only on the fourth issue and on the precipice of three paradigm-shifting events (i.e., Inferno, The Trial of Magneto, and X Lives/X Deaths of Wolverine). I've noted this before, but it bears repeating: Duggan is in a tricky place in that he has to develop this new series and team while making sure not to step on Hickman's or Williams' toes and to keep his eyes on what Percy has planned, which, again, is supposedly going to redefine the status quo and define the new era. It's a juggling act, and not one I think many writers have been called to perform. Seriously, we need to be more patient with him and aware of the incredible amount of stress he must be under. He must feel like he's walking on eggshells.
    I am not saying that fans debating who had more for their favorite characters should be the ultimate goal. It should not be and I share you thoughts that he could be waiting for the events of Inferno and Trial of Magneto's end to move the story forward in any big way with certain characters and perhaps the core of the book itself.

What I am saying is right now it feels like the format has the characters waiting for a big central driving force of the book to drop (and who knows that might be Dr. Stasis). But, I actually guessing its more likely what happens when friction arises between an ascendant mutant race and everyone else. Though we will see.

Oh and I certainly do think fans should give the title time. It deserves it.
    Last edited by jmc247; 10-17-2021 at 03:00 PM.

You know I didn’t interpret it that way. �� I perceived a little more depth in that scene.
    Duggan doesn't do profound by design/choice. It's just... the last time we saw Jean and Emma in a "school" for a significant amount of time was during the Bendis era. And now we've got some messianic-looking dudebro floating about and basically wearing an armored up reskin of Jeen's Bendis Outfit. Writing on the wall and all that.

Actually, in issue #1, she was the one who defeated the alien. As Jean noted, “Another good plan, Wolverine. Thanks to you, it’s no longer broadcasting death.” In issue #2 she gets a couple of scenes in which she’s slicing open creatures from the waves of annihilation.[...]
    Ask *anyone* about what was her most memorable scene and practically everyone will respond something to the effect of "That awkward direct-to-video erotica B-movie photo shoot or whatever the hell that was." Fine, no one would actually say that because it's way too accurate, but you get the idea.

Issue #2 opens with Rogue and, in a cute scene, underscores how serious she is about and dedicated to being a part of the new team.
    Not disagreeing on any of the other stuff because it happened, but I must vehemently object in regards to the alleged cuteness of that scene. Rogue came across as a lunatic during that sequence. Jean's acting like a coked up Care Bear. Scott's acting like a coked up clown. They're all living in a treehouse of all things. Team assignments are decided by rock, paper, scissors. Remy hosting the occasional poker game in the basement is the least, the very, very least of the team's potential problems, lol.

In fact, after skimming all of the issues, I feel Scott has been the least impressive in terms of power displays, though he has gotten great moments as a leader and, again, will have a major arc coming up.
    The team's Distressed Dude so far. Told you. Seriously, the guy's been in need of a save in every issue so far. Duggan is sure going All-In-yet-somehow-low-key with the whole "(Co-)Leader having a bad streak right before the Sixth Ranger Traitor shows up" thingy.
    Last edited by FluffyCyclopsRLZ; 10-17-2021 at 03:19 PM.

Duggan doesn't do profound by design/choice.
    Well, I think we should wait and see before we judge what his plans are for this team. Writers evolve.

It's just... the last time we saw Jean and Emma in a "school" for a significant amount of time was during the Bendis era. And now we've got some messianic-looking dudebro floating about and basically wearing an armored up reskin of Jeen's Bendis Outfit. Writing on the wall and all that.
    What does this have to do with what Duggan may have intended by that dream sequence? �� Again, I probably would be less adamant about Emma symbolizing Jean's ego or personal unconscious had Duggan not hammered the point home by having her say, "It's not for me...or you." (His emphasis on "you.")

Ask *anyone* about what was her most memorable scene and practically everyone will respond something to the effect of "That awkward direct-to-video erotica B-movie photo shoot or whatever the hell that was." Fine, no one would actually say that because it's way too accurate, but you get the idea.
    I didn't find that moment "awkward" or akin to a "direct-to-video erotica B-movie photoshoot" - what a strange comparison - but to each their own. I'm very intrigued by what could develop between Laura and Everett, whether it's a friendship or a romantic relationship. I'm also interested to see how each will individually continue to develop and grow as a result of their time in the Vault.

Not disagreeing on any of the other stuff because it happened, but I must vehemently object in regards to the alleged cuteness of that scene. Rogue came across as a lunatic during that sequence. Jean's acting like a coked up Care Bear. Scott's acting like a coked up clown. They're all living in a treehouse of all things. Team assignments are decided by rock, paper, scissors. Remy hosting the occasional poker game in the basement is the least, the very, very least of the team's potential problems, lol.
    WTF? Are we reading the same series? Firstly, Rogue did not come off like a "lunatic." Her concern for the new team and headquarters and her dynamic with Remy were endearing. Secondly, Jean is not "acting like a coked-up Care Bear." (What a silly comparison.) She's pretty much been reserved, methodical, a little playful and affectionate with Scott, considerate of her team, and an overall badass co-leader and team player. I guess her saying in this issue that her "greatest weapons will be love and kindness" is a no-no for you and some others. Personally, I love it. It's also consistent with how she was depicted in X-Men: Red. And Scott has certainly not been "acting like a coked-up clown." He's been smart, considerate of his team, trusting of Jean as his co-leader, and, frankly, refreshing. He seems happy and at ease, though, per this issue, it's clear he has his own fears, guilts, and anxieties that he's grappling with, as does Jean.

And regarding the rock, paper, scissor game, I took that as a light-hearted moment between two best friends who also happen to be a longtime married couple. That was also refreshing to see, instead of some forced angst between them or them pawing at each other. I think it's obvious they're going to be a little more strategic than that, even if Duggan decided to end that particular scene on a humorous note.

Jesus.

The team's Distressed Dude so far. Told you. Seriously, the guy's been in need of a save in every issue so far. Duggan is sure going All-In-yet-somehow-low-key with the whole "(Co-)Leader having a bad streak right before the Sixth Ranger Traitor shows up" thingy.
    I suppose this is the crux of the biscuit for you, which I totally understand. Look, I know what it feels like when your favorite character isn't being treated as you'd prefer or given the respect you feel they deserve. Hell, my girl is walking around in a frock from the 1960s, which she has shown disdain for in the past, and going by Marvel Girl, a codename she has denounced more than twice, going as far back as the 90s! Nevertheless, I choose to look at the silver lining and what good has been done for her character during the last two years. And there have been some great progressions for her, most notably how she's being written in this series.

I feel the same way about Scott. This is the first time I've felt a natural warmth towards him and Jean as a couple. I haven't wanted them together in a very long time. A lot of that has to do with how Scott is being depicted here. Again, he seems at ease, happy to be doing what he's doing, and, most importantly, generous with everyone on the team. He wants to know what everyone thinks and how they would go about solving the problems at hand. And who knows, maybe his optimism is foolhardy and his house of cards is about to come tumbling down (again), but I'm enjoying seeing him so confident in and comfortable with himself and the people around him before the proverbial **** hits the fan.

This series may not be ThE BeSt CoMiC BoOk SeRIeS EvARRRR!!111, but I enjoy it a lot. It keeps me intrigued, entertained, coming back for more, and, more importantly, it makes me feel at home. I'm sorry if that last part now makes me a fucking Care Bear.

If I carried on the way some of you do about your favorite characters, I wouldn't have made it past House/Powers of X or the first quarter of Hickman's era, which I love, despite the fact that it hasn't necessarily been a sparkling showcase for Jean.

I have hope for this book and plan on supporting it as much as I can.

Quote Originally Posted by CoCoBandz View Post
    Omega Level Mutants have been jobbing for too long.

Glad writers are putting a stop to that.
    I agree with this. The title Omega is pretty pointless if you don't have the power to back it up.
    You brought back Wolverine

The CBR Community Standards a.k.a how to get along.

Well, I think we should wait and see before we judge what his plans are for this team. Writers evolve. What does this have to do with what Duggan may have intended by that dream sequence? �� Again, I probably would be less adamant about Emma symbolizing Jean's ego or personal unconscious had Duggan not hammered the point home by having her say, "It's not for me...or you." (His emphasis on "you.")
    *Of course* it's about her. "New outfit, unleashing the real awesomer me, yay." Once again, the original teasing comment wasn't so much about the gist of the analysis, but rather its length/complexity. I mean, Jean curb-stomped a Doctor Strange reject with Love and Kindness™ on Halloween night. On-point? Yup. Enthralling? YMMV. Complex? Holy hell no.

I didn't find that moment "awkward" or akin to a "direct-to-video erotica B-movie photoshoot" - what a strange comparison - but to each their own. I'm very intrigued by what could develop between Laura and Everett, whether it's a friendship or a romantic relationship. I'm also interested to see how each will individually continue to develop and grow as a result of their time in the Vault.
    If you can come up with a pop culture reference conveying "people sensually standing next to each other in a way that no sentient being ever would", then, by all means, go for it. Couldn't think of anything but B/C/Z-movie directors awkwardly giving "sexy" a shot.

WTF? Are we reading the same series?
    Of course we are. We had the "Team Book Villain/MP of the Week format" for three issues, then we had an X-Men Red Holiday Special. Jean and Shiro think they're in a serious superhero drama. Scott and Lorna act like they're in a sitcom. Anna alternates between the two. Everett and Laura know they're in a romantic dra... meh, a straight up The Vow ripoff. Evil Mars Dude thinks he's a James Bond villain. Evil Science Dude thinks he's Sinister.

All of which happening in a world where mutantkind carries on like an imperialistic bully, can't be bothered to build schools for its youth and, oh yeah, casually sent aforementioned youth to ritual slaughter so they'd be reborn. I'm 100% okay referring to any current x-folk as a coked up *anything* and poking fun at anyone who'd get upset over a basement poker game of all things.

I dont know how yall managed to pull a ~25 page thread out of this weak ass filler issue, but you did it.