Page 16 of 24 FirstFirst ... 6121314151617181920 ... LastLast

Wow. I know Jean is powerful. But she handled Nightmare like he was nothing. Nightmare is a fear lord that causes problems for the sorcerer supreme. For Jean to just bat him away like a he was a fly.... that's something else.

Not sure how I feel about Jean having this kind of power.

Quote Originally Posted by OmegaStorm87 View Post
    As soon as they announced X-23 and Synch in this book I knew every single review thread would be taken over by her fans complaining (like they have done in every single book she's ever been in aside from Kyost) and full of racist microaggressions towards Synch.

Shocker...I was right. When the reality Is that they're lucky she's even featured considering she's just another cheap Wolverine knock off. I feel like ungrateful character obsessors should not be rewarded and instead give actual deserving POC characters a chance instead.

I mean...does anyone even want her in this book? Not really. Boot her to limbo and then everyone is happy.
    Woah. So if I'm a fan of Laura, apparently we all have one single brain and all are complaining and racist and deserve our favorite character to disappear from comics?
    I have no idea where you read it, but no, there is no thread filled by X-23 fans with racism, because if that was the case it would be erased and people would be banned.
    If someone is unfair towards Synch you mostly see others not agreeing with them. I tried with every issue to give it time, not complain and discus with other fans, that it's too soon.
    I don't get how being rude and insulting every fan of character makes you gain anything. Most of our comments are us, being unhappy, that female character is reduced to being love interest - and if it's more then few people then I think there might be this problem. And it's us against plot/love plot NOT against Synch. And I thought this thread is a place to comment of the issue. If not perhaps it should be put in as a rule? That we are forbidden from saying we don't enjoy something?

Sarveśām Svastir Bhavatu Devaishwarya's Avatar

Technically, she didn't do him anything. She kept him at bay and sent him off with a very stern warning.
    As an OL Telepath she should have the base power to at least make it very difficult for him. And that's before she actually crosses self-imposed barriers to "end him". He may be a Fear Lord but the X-Men have dealt with those of similar ilk before.
    Lord Ewing *Praise His name! Uplift Him in song!* Your divine works will be remembered and glorified in worship for all eternity. Amen!

Incredible Member

Some people are arguing about how this comic is 'problematic'. I think they are making a mountain out of a molehill.

X-men comics have always been seen as a sort of soap operas. Amnesia tropes abound in soap operas, and this Laura/Synch memory thing is just one more wrinkle in that. Evil siblings can be common, and the Jean / Madelyn / Dark Phoenix is a version of that. There isn't really supposed to be realism here, and there isn't any bad behaviors occurring in a more realistic sense.

Synch is certainly behaving better than Adam Sandler's character in 50 First Dates (in which the male character continually tries to make the female character with memory problems fall in love with him), or any other rom-com where the guy's stalking behavior is rewarded.

Can female characters have better storylines? Yes.
    Is this comic a good example of female characters done dirty? No (For that, just look at any Greg Land drawn comic, or the myriad of Scarlet Witch possession storylines).

Quote Originally Posted by kevlon View Post
    Wow. I know Jean is powerful. But she handled Nightmare like he was nothing. Nightmare is a fear lord that causes problems for the sorcerer supreme. For Jean to just bat him away like a he was a fly.... that's something else.

Not sure how I feel about Jean having this kind of power.
    Didn't teenage Jean has punched Galactus in the face? ;-)

I'm just wondering what you think the power scale of being an omega level telepath should be instead? I supposed that Jean's mutant powers is maybe simply exact the achilles' heel for Nightmare's powers.

The Red Dragon

Quote Originally Posted by Jbenito View Post
    Agreed. If I were Duggan I would have ignored the question and dragged David in front of the class for being a dick.
    For real. People who ping and @writers are the worst.

Quote Originally Posted by Rakurai View Post
    Woah. So if I'm a fan of Laura, apparently we all have one single brain and all are complaining and racist and deserve our favorite character to disappear from comics?
    I have no idea where you read it, but no, there is no thread filled by X-23 fans with racism, because if that was the case it would be erased and people would be banned.
    If someone is unfair towards Synch you mostly see others not agreeing with them. I tried with every issue to give it time, not complain and discus with other fans, that it's too soon.
    I don't get how being rude and insulting every fan of character makes you gain anything. Most of our comments are us, being unhappy, that female character is reduced to being love interest - and if it's more then few people then I think there might be this problem. And it's us against plot/love plot NOT against Synch. And I thought this thread is a place to comment of the issue. If not perhaps it should be put in as a rule? That we are forbidden from saying we don't enjoy something?

Agreed With You.

The irony of all this is that he says all that cheap talk about those who like Laura, and goes on to say that Laura is lucky to be in the book because "it is a cheap copy of Logan", hypocrisy and double standards, anyone who knows Laura's character knows that is not true.

When the reality is, Laura like it or not is one of the few characters not written by CLAREMONT who is an A List without a doubt, Synch has always been a D list, and this is an attempt to make it popular, which WE ALL KNOW IS NOT GOING TO WORK, sorry this is true.... I'm sorry to be harsh but given the aggression against Laura, they deserve to be told things without tact.

The Red Dragon

Quote Originally Posted by Triniking1234 View Post
    Well Duggan has a point but we already established that Jean had the Phoenix's and Madelyne's memories after Inferno.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
    Also it should be noted Jean said she was Dark Phoenix during the hellfire gala which was not a dream or nightmare, so her point (and Duggan’s) still stands.

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by Sylarmax View Post
    Agreed With You.

The irony of all this is that he says all that cheap talk about those who like Laura, and goes on to say that Laura is lucky to be in the book because "it is a cheap copy of Logan", hypocrisy and double standards, anyone who knows Laura's character knows that is not true.

When the reality is, Laura like it or not is one of the few characters not written by CLAREMONT who is an A List without a doubt, Synch has always been a D list, and this is an attempt to make it popular, which WE ALL KNOW IS NOT GOING TO WORK, sorry this is true.... I'm sorry to be harsh but given the aggression against Laura, they deserve to be told things without tact.
    Tell us. Why isn't it going to work?

These fandom wars make me sad. I'm a fan of all the X-Men, some more than others, but I love them all.
    "Danielle... I intend to do something rash and violent." - Betsy Braddock
    Krakoa, Arakko, and Otherworld forever!

Y'all.

How about some kindness and decency.

I'm seeing all this strife and offensive rhetoric being slung left and right. Its not the look.
    We all have favorites. And we all want to see them shine. So lets not bad mouth somebody just because our favorite isn't being focused on. Its a group book. There are a lot of characters and the author has already pointed out that there WILL be issues that highlight individuals. There is absolutely no need to bad mouth anyone's characters because lets be honest -- we're all big nerds for the X-Men and many of us feel personally attacked when our favorite is defamed by other posters.

Take a moment and self reflect. Please.
    When people come in hot and fast to advocate for their person, but in the same breath opt to shred another character? That's just tacky. Be better. Be LIKE the hero you love so much by behaving as they would.

Unless your favorite is Sinister.
    You might be a sociopath. I don't make the rules. (I'm kidding, have a sandwich <3)

Quote Originally Posted by dkrook View Post
    Lol, yeah cause God only knows that trying to build up one of 3 black male mutants for a few issues against the DECADES of reading Jean, Scott, Xavier, Logan and Magneto is just pure outrage...!!! How dare any ever think that anyone is supposed to read, see and be interested in anyone else huh? Lol. Why not be honest at least about why you're so hateful of Everett Thomas characters? He's every bit as exciting or boring as any other made up mutant characters.
    Jean was gone for nearly two decades. Seriously? lmao.

Anyway, I agree with your main point.

Quote Originally Posted by Sylarmax View Post
    Agreed With You.

Sorry but I have to disagree with you there. I think there exist a spot for Synch to fill. Not sure if it will be this comic that elevates him but perhaps.

Duggan can certainly give him these cool moments and fights but someone else will have to do some heavy lifting with character work for him to last in the long run. We can’t count on people remembering his Gen X days.

Quote Originally Posted by Tank View Post
    Also it should be noted Jean said she was Dark Phoenix during the hellfire gala which was not a dream or nightmare, so her point (and Duggan’s) still stands.
    Exactly

I think is so unnecessary to avoid DP or anything about Phoenix (be it Claremont or Morrison) with Jean, those are her stories!

Quote Originally Posted by Jbenito View Post
    These fandom wars make me sad. I'm a fan of all the X-Men, some more than others, but I love them all.
    Literally! I’ll voice when I think a character I like is mistreated, but IMO that should never extend to bashing another character or their fandom. It’s hypocrisy at it’s finest.