Page 2 of 24 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast
    Extraordinary Member Omega Alpha's Avatar

Reading this right after Immortal Hulk is like driving an old broken truck right after spending the day in a Ferrari. A completely unnecessary issue that sees Jean beat Nightmare along through the power of Mary Sueness, I mean, kindness.

Also, between the mention of Jean as an Omega Level Telepath and Telekinetic and Emma as an Omega Telepath in Wolverine last week, it's pretty clear writers are throwing Hickman's careful explanation and classification in the trash in favor of propping up whoever character they like, and JDW is happy to let them.

This was boring Halloween filler until those last 5 pages.
    Last edited by Journey; 10-13-2021 at 06:49 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Omega Alpha View Post
    Reading this right after Immortal Hulk is like driving an old broken truck right after spending the day in a Ferrari. A completely unnecessary issue that sees Jean beat Nightmare along through the power of Mary Sueness, I mean, kindness.

Also, between the mention of Jean as an Omega Level Telepath and Telekinetic and Emma as an Omega Telepath in Wolverine last week, it's pretty clear writers are throwing Hickman's careful explanation and classification in the trash in favor of propping up whoever character they like, and JDW is happy to let them.
    Oh Emma's omega level now that's neat.

Astonishing Member

Emma isn't an Omega Telepath. That was an editing mistake. And the dialouge says that Jean is an Omega level telepath AND a telekeinetic. Hickman's list still holds.

Astonishing Member

The problem with the vault and laura stuff is the laser focus on synch. Leaving her sister alone, faline, the fact that she might have lost all her friends, even geting others and having her question if she gets her vault memories would she still be the same laura how would she change. It makes sense giving she's at piece with her past (unlike logan whose past always has power over him) and the unknown is really only left but it feels out of place. Also Rouge, sunfire, synch, Polaris all of them could have lead to interesting things. Was the issue good and enjoyable yes, could it have done alot more with consept ? Hell yes.
    Balancing the main x plot, game world, stasis, Ben urch, scientist man is cutting in to the story. Droping some of those to focuse on the cast would be a big improvement.
    Last edited by Dthirds3; 10-13-2021 at 06:49 AM.

Extraordinary Member Omega Alpha's Avatar

it's pretty clear writers are throwing Hickman's careful explanation and classification in the trash in favor of propping up whoever character they like,
    Quote Originally Posted by Journey View Post
    Oh Emma's omega level now that's neat.
    See what I mean? Fanboys suck up to this non-sense.

Quote Originally Posted by loke13 View Post
    Emma isn't an Omega Telepath. That was an editing mistake.
    Like I said, considering we have in the #1 of this new era an explanation of how it works, and two issues in a row that the writers ignore it, it's clear editorial doesn't give a damn.

Astonishing Member Dante Milton's Avatar

Filler, and not particularly good filler at that. The bit in Jean's dream with the dress was a dumb attempt to troll fans who hate the dress, I don't believe for a second that Jean gives a single **** what Emma thinks of her costume. The reveal that Jean (and presumably Scott as well) had to also make her pitch and be voted in to the X-Men is weird, she had already left the council at that point to form the team, doesn't make a lot of sense. The art was pretty though.

See what I mean? Fanboys suck up to this non-sense.

Like I said, considering we have in the #1 of this new era an explanation of how it works, and two issues in a row that the writers ignore it, it's clear editorial doesn't give a damn.
    I was being sarcastic but okay.

I do enjoy that subconsciously she knows it's hideous & has to go.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Dante Milton View Post
    Filler, and not particularly good filler at that. The bit in Jean's dream with the dress was a dumb attempt to troll fans who hate the dress, I don't believe for a second that Jean gives a single **** what Emma thinks of her costume. The reveal that Jean (and presumably Scott as well) had to also make her pitch and be voted in to the X-Men is weird, she had already left the council at that point to form the team, doesn't make a lot of sense. The art was pretty though.
    Makes sense to me despite the fact the idea of the X-Men team came from Jean and Cyclops they should still be voted in just like every other member on the team. Fairness and all that.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Mercury View Post
    While I want to note that I understand how fans of other characters feel about not having their favorites showcased (BELIEVE ME, I understand), I also want to say that Jean has deserved this focus and level of writing for a long time. Moreover, she was placed on the backburner for most of Hickman's run and I never let it cloud my judgment or make me dislike Hickman's wonderful work. I only hope some of you can be as objective.
    This.

Also that Scott(anyone know what he's talking about when he says he lied?) and Laura stuff was decent as well.Nothing to ride home about but still good IMO

Filler, and not particularly good filler at that. The bit in Jean's dream with the dress was a dumb attempt to troll fans who hate the dress, I don't believe for a second that Jean gives a single **** what Emma thinks of her costume.
    I think you are misreading the scene. I take that moment as a sign that Jean has been holding off on and knows she's about to undergo a big change. In dreams, everyone represents a facet of our own psyche.

Also, the fact that you skipped over everything else - the ease, strength, and grace with which Duggan wrote Jean declaring her mission, owning her strength and altruism, and defeating Nightmare - leaves me... Anyway.

The reveal that Jean (and presumably Scott as well) had to also make her pitch and be voted in to the X-Men is weird, she had already left the council at that point to form the team, doesn't make a lot of sense. The art was pretty though.
    There was no "reveal" indicating Jean had to be voted in. She founded the team. She only shared what she said at the Gala when she "advocated" for herself. (Note: To advocate simply means to publicly support, in this case, herself.)

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Dthirds3 View Post
    The problem with the vault and laura stuff is the laser focus on synch. Leaving her sister alone, faline, the fact that she might have lost all her friends, even geting others and having her question if she gets her vault memories would she still be the same laura how would she change. It makes sense giving she's at piece with her past (unlike logan whose past always has power over him) and the unknown is really only left but it feels out of place. Also Rouge, sunfire, synch, Polaris all of them could have lead to interesting things. Was the issue good and enjoyable yes, could it have done alot more with consept ? Hell yes.
    Balancing the main x plot, game world, stasis, Ben urch, scientist man is cutting in to the story. Droping some of those to focuse on the cast would be a big improvement.
    The big problem with giving her Synch's memories no one seems to want to address is that it's not the same as having experienced it herself. It would be like watching a slideshow of someone's vacation: Sure, you can see everyone having a good time, but you weren't there. It's second-hand information. I don't care if you're using a telepath to implant them or not, this Laura wasn't there. She's not that person, and just seeing Synch's memories of those events won't make her that person.

Quote Originally Posted by Journey View Post
    I do enjoy that subconsciously she knows it's hideous & has to go.
    So she dreams about Emma taking her clothes off?
    The Krakoans are EEEvil!

THEY MUST BE STOPPED!

Mighty Member

I liked this issue's art and story even though it's a bit of a quiet issue to showcase the omega power of Jean Grey.

It's quite refreshing after the Hickman's issues which keep on repeating the same topic.

I hope this time we see a real X baby from Jean and Scott's 'sex' event. Let's face it, it's about time we have a real baby in this timeline from Jean-Scott instead of a half-clone baby like Cable or a future daughter like Rachel.

Acknowledging the past affairs of Scott in his dreams gives a hidden meaning and that Scott is now with Jean and those two past affairs with Emma & Madelyne should be forgotten.
    Last edited by ericng; 10-13-2021 at 07:01 AM.