Page 1 of 11 12345 ... LastLast
    Astonishing Member

Default ASM #76 (877) review and spoilers

Surprised there isn’t more discussion about this and specifically how much Zeb Wells knocked it out of the park when it comes to Ben’s characterization. He even added another layer about Ben not used to people helping him so not wanting to ask for it for fear of rejection, which totally jives with the Ben from the 90s. Peter’s speech to him in the hospital giving him his blessing as Spider-Man gave me chills (although I would’ve loved it even more if he said “be sensational” instead of “be amazing”). I know it’s early days, but I think it’s fair to say Wells “gets” Ben and his dynamic with Peter, and I’d be happy to see him do an ongoing for Ben one day. I’m glad Ben is already getting a bit suspicious of Beyond and it was good to see him get some quick revenge on the U-Foes. There was one sour note and it had nothing to do with Wells…. one panel clearly has MJ wearing an engagement ring, which bolsters the theory there was some last minute editorial butchering of #74 (875) and that art slipped through the cracks. Besides that, I loved it. THIS is the real Ben we’ve been asking to return since 1996.
    Last edited by HypnoHustler; 10-13-2021 at 08:06 AM.

I largely avoided the clone stuff in the 90s but what little of Ben that I have read, I have really enjoyed. With that being said, I fully agree! 75 and todays issue are outstanding and a breath of fresh air from the previous run.

Wells has really drawn me into the character of Ben and I look forward to seeing where this run goes.
    AKA FlashFreak
    Favorite Characters:
    DC: The Flash (Jay & Wally), Starman- Jack Knight, Stargirl, & Shazam!.
    MARVEL: Daredevil, Spider-Man (Peter Parker), & Doctor Strange.

Current Pulls: Not a thing!

Extraordinary Member

Good issue.People aren't talking about it because not much happened specially plot wise.

1)MJ's wearing a ring.Maybe it's an art mistake that slipped by editorial or maybe something to do w/ Spencer?
    2)Peter and Ben were written great here, MJ and May were mediocre to bad
    3)How does Misty Knight and co. know Ben? She recognized him last issue even w/ the mask on, so what gives?I love how they are dealing w/ Ben taking on foes, feels Superior done right.Pretty sure Beyond hired U-foes but still.
    4)I like that Ben was protecting Peter's identity and hope Beyond doesn't find out but I feel like they easily could given what they now
    5)I really hope this isn't just radiation stuff, like maybe one of the docs put some nanites/poison in him or something or during the attack.Because we've seen him deal w/ radiation before and aside from his very strong resistance to it the Spider-sense stuff never happened.
    6)Zeb had a good voice for Peter and Ben(not fo MJ and May) which is great but we get like 4 writers so every issue will feel different

Wells is quickly becoming my go-to favorite Marvel writer. His Hellions is great!

I missed out on the original Clone Saga. I didn't really collect comics in earnest until around 2000, but I remember Ben popping up in the 90s animated show. Otherwise, other than reading up on the CS here or there, Ben was mostly off my radar until The Clone Conspiracy, which I hopped on and off of. Of course, that really butchered his character and I didn't really keep up with his other appearances since. After Beyond was announced, I got more curious. After I read the last issue, I jumped into the Clone Saga with both feet and am now in deep. Ben has quickly become a favorite of mine after The Lost Years. I've always liked Peter, but for some reason I get a kick out of alternate Spider-Men.

Anyway, I thought this issue was good overall. I burned through it quickly. The exchange between Ben and Peter in the hospital was really touching. Mary Jane's reaction is understandable, but I hope Ben and her reconcile somehow. Also, given where I'm at in the o.g. Clone Saga, I really hope Ben and Aunt May meet.

Incredible Member

Well, the issue had two goals - (a) make sure Peter is properly Off The Board as Spider-Man for a bit, and (2) make it clear Ben knew nothing about Beyond setting up Peter and wants him to be okay. And it did both jobs competently enough.

Quote Originally Posted by Spiderfan001 View Post
    3)How does Misty Knight and co. know Ben? She recognized him last issue even w/ the mask on, so what gives?
    I guess the two must have talked when they were in space in Iron Man? I mean, they're Space Friends for a while, he can't have kept his mask on 24/7 for the week or two the story's taken.

Oh yeah, I forgot about how it seemed like Mary Jane actually thought it was Peter who called, and not Ben. You could probably write it off a few different ways, but yeah I feel like MJ would have realized it wasn't Peter and/or why would Ben bother lying to MJ? But, not a big deal.

I did like the panel of Aunt May recognizing it wasn't Peter, which begs how far she will go to uncover the truth while also worrying about Peter's condition?

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by SanityOrMadness View Post
    Well, the issue had two goals - (a) make sure Peter is properly Off The Board as Spider-Man for a bit, and (2) make it clear Ben knew nothing about Beyond setting up Peter and wants him to be okay. And it did both jobs competently enough.

I guess the two must have talked when they were in space in Iron Man? I mean, they're Space Friends for a while, he can't have kept his mask on 24/7 for the week or two the story's taken.
    Yeah but most thought issue 75 did the first and the second could be done in dialogue in 1-2 pages.Regardless it was good to see but it does mean issue lacks plot which I'm cool w/.I do like the Peter not being in a coma after the first issue and this feels like a better way to do it.Still hoping we get a better explanation and reason for the coma though.

He seems to have kept it on, I read today's issue as well so nothing yet.Also even if he did,how did she tell by voice only?Ik Peter's mask muffles his voice, not sure about Ben's.

Quote Originally Posted by Mundungus View Post
    Oh yeah, I forgot about how it seemed like Mary Jane actually thought it was Peter who called, and not Ben. You could probably write it off a few different ways, but yeah I feel like MJ would have realized it wasn't Peter and/or why would Ben bother lying to MJ? But, not a big deal.

I did like the panel of Aunt May recognizing it wasn't Peter, which begs how far she will go to uncover the truth while also worrying about Peter's condition?
    Yeah, shame but no biggie.

BANNED

Gleason was not on point in this issue, compared to the last one where he smashed it out the park and it was stunning.

This felt rushed but otherwise it was another great issue and agreed with others, Ben was fantastic and the real Ben from the 90s and not Slotts garbage made up clone.

Wells clearly did his homework after he admitted he never read the 90s run prior to this.

Looks like Pete did pop the question in the original ending of Spencers run, I assume it's being saved for 900 hopefully then.

Incredible Member

Enjoyed the issue. Really enjoyed the talk Ben and Peter shared, as a follow up from their previous conversation before the attack. This issue read to fast for me, but then again, for someone who has had Ben Reilly withdrawals for the past two decades, there is always never enough Ben Reilly content to go around. Can’t wait until next week.

So I guess Peter did purpose at the end of Spencers ending. We will probably get a flashback issue I guess
    "He's pure power and doesn't even know it. He's the best of us."-Matt Murdock

"I need a reason to take the mask off."-Peter Parker

"My heart half-breaks at how easy it is to lie to him. It breaks all the way when he believes me without question." Felicia Hardy

Wig Over The Hoodie Style IamnotJudasTraveller's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Blanks View Post
    This issue read to fast for me
    It definitely did read too fast - I'm seeing the same reaction in other places I look. I'm guessing it might be because of the weekly thing. But even structurally you can see it reads too fast - there's a lot of large panels (good because Gleason's art has upped its game from his Spencer issues) but with very few speech bubbles (bad because the story goes by too fast).
    Discovering/CONFESSING! the nature of evil... one retcon at a time.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by IamnotJudasTraveller View Post
    It definitely did read too fast - I'm seeing the same reaction in other places I look. I'm guessing it might be because of the weekly thing. But even structurally you can see it reads too fast - there's a lot of large panels (good because Gleason's art has upped its game from his Spencer issues) but with very few speech bubbles (bad because the story goes by too fast).
    Co-signed, it was too fast.

Astonishing Member

At least we know the reason why Ben seemed a smug a**hole and that he is not aware of Beyond machinations. Also, he will not stand for anything blindly.

A nice character bit. I completely missed MJ's ring.

"Be amazing" and "Hell yes, Spider-Man" got me sooo hyped! Great issue. It feels so good to see Peter and Ben acting like this.

Blue hoodie, huh? One does not simply stop being Scarlet Spider.