Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast
    Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Lukmendes View Post
    Mattie barely counts, she was the Spider-Man in ASM#1 vol 2, then Peter returned as Spidey a long time later, at the end of ASM#2, so yeah lol.

Thinking of it, Tony being replaced by Riri was very similar to Beyond, only much worse because, well, Riri being written by Bendis, and it overstayed its welcome.

Kinda funny Tony got both extremes, since Rhodes was alright I think.

Wait and see as always lol.
    Exactly, Mattie worked as a "replacement" because she wasn't.She was the only time a replacement story happened for Peter instead of to sideline him.

Yeah, but still his "death" was in CW2 IIRC.My point is all other major or less major characters get agency in their deaths and then are replaced and w/ a lot of respect as well(example Logan or Cap) but Spidey has no agency in his replacements arcs and is mostly disrespected.I'm very happy to see Beyond is not doing this so far,Ben and even Misty and Colleen have shown respect for Peter.

Agreed, people absolutely adored Spencer's first issues, even till double digits.2 issues is way too small a sample size, specially considering that multiple (less competent)writers will also write this and that the Ben Peter dynamic that has been the highlight is also going away not to mention that the stunning art will also be changed.Beyond in it's format is extremely inconsistent, hopefully they deliver regardless.

Astonishing Member David Walton's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Pav View Post
    GOOD DAY TO YOU, MY FELLOW REVELERS OF THE BENNAISANCE!
    Verily!

(I had parent-teacher conferences, today of all days! Yeesh.)
    "Why do you keep calling my kid Ben? And who's Peter?"

Let's take a walk through the issue together, shall we? I'd like to share some ideas and observations, if you don't mind!

1) I can't help but wonder if Aunt May is going to uncover who Ben is later in the story -- mostly due to the beat that she recognized the difference in his voice on the phone. Hopefully that goes somewhere, but you never know.
    Aunt May is on the case, for sure. As much love as this arc bleeds for the Clone Saga there's no way this doesn't get addressed. No way.

And a reminder that Ben has never had the opportunity to speak to May face-to-face...so this is a HUGE moment that's long overdue.

2) I really like the art, especially the couple of full-body Ben-as-Spidey shots we get. Very 90s to me -- maybe a little Bagleyesque even? Whatever it is, I dig it.
    Agreed!

3) What do we think is going on with Peter? The simplest explanation, to me, is that it's actually his spider-sense doing a lot of the harm to Peter; obviously getting blasted by villain-junk isn't good, and it definitely affected him. But the bigger issue now seem to be that, because his body is ill, his spider-sense is reacting off the charts to the point that it's causing him immense pain -- and eventually puts him into a coma, apparently. Could it be something beyond that? Certainly. But what the issue may be is currently beyond me.
    I feel like there's at least a slight possibility that Pete has been invaded by Beyond Corp. nanotech now that I've read your 10th point.

4) Janine doesn't like Whatshisface. Good. I still hope that it's Janine who helps Ben uncover the truth.
    Given Janine's tragic experience with manipulators and abusers, I hope she gets to clock the guy.

5) MAYBE THE MOST INTERESTING DETAIL FOR ME THIS ISSUE: when Colleen and Misty are (rightfully) chastising Marcus aka Whatshisface, in the foreground Ben has his eyes closed and doesn't look happy; in the background are the panels from last issue of Ben punching X-Ray(?) THROUGH THE HEAD.

What, exactly, do we think that is supposed to imply?
    Good question.

6) Marcus says, "That was unexpected," when Ben leaves to see Peter; is Beyond trying to follow a certain path of causality? Perhaps trying to steer towards a certain potential future?
    It would seem so.

7) I don't like how MJ is treating Ben, but I get it. It does make sense when considering certain details. It's just a shame; I loved how accepting she was of Ben after her initial hesitancy back in the 90s. Here's hoping it too is built back up during this run.
    I think it makes sense given the circumstances.

MJ was very accepting of Ben at the time, but time and distance and her feeling protective of Peter are all factors right now. Also, she seemed to have a kind of intuition that something was up with Ben's return...and she wasn't wrong.

8) Not going to lie: The line, "It's hard when you're around, Ben. It REALLY is," was really tough to hear from Peter. After all, when they believed Ben to be the real Peter Parker, Ben knew the right thing to do was continue as Ben Reilly. I think it's been a long time since Ben has wished he could have Peter's actual life. And like others have pointed out, Peter is already sharing being Spider-Man with Miles (and was even surprisingly forgiving of Otto Octavius) so why he'd have an issue with Ben also being Spidey is a bit of a mystery. That all being said, I am still able to see the other side of it: Miles isn't literally a clone of Peter. Peter and Ben have their history, and that time for Peter was really rough, so I get not wanting to relive those feelings. So I'm glad he was able to overcome the negatives, understand things from Ben's perspective, and therefore reach out to Ben by giving his Spidey blessing. I hope this begins to re-establish the brotherly bond that so many fans really enjoyed in the past. But "it's hard when you're around?" Maybe that indicates Ben will take off once again when this story is over, and maybe it'll be simply more of a mutual respect situation than the family unit many of us are hoping for.
    I thought this conversation was so great. Peter rarely opens up like that with anyone other than MJ. He's usually more reactive than contemplative, letting it all build up and then lashing out. So it was great to see him being honest about what his issues with Ben are...and how to get their bond back on track.

9) When Ben takes of his hoodie to change back into Spider-Man for Beyond, his eyes are covered. He's blind.
    I had not noticed.

10) ...am I crazy to think that maybe there are tiny people inside Peter?
    No. Well, either that, or we're both crazy now. You've kind of opened that possibility for me now that I read your post.

11) Last page: so awesome. Those are some webshooters. And hell yes, Ben is Spider-Man!
    Yeahhhhh!

Here comes all the terrible stuff that will break our heart (in the best possible way).

I'm really enjoying this ride with everyone! Waiting for the next issue is going to be tough!

-Pav, who hopes Ben keeps wearing his blue hoodie...
    The wait is agonizing!

Spectacular Member

those who complain that Spider-man replacement has been done to death and too often... what are you actually talking about? It has happened a grand total of 3 times including this one!
    The 90's clone saga, sure that was intended to replace him, but was over 25 years ago
    The second time was not far off a decade ago and was always a limited change
    This one is set at 19 issues, and features the same guy from the 90s taking over for s short while whilst keeping Peter and his supporting cast in the book anyway....

Loved this issue, ironed out my problems with issue 1. I've read it 3 times already and can't wait for the next issue (damn 2 week wait!)

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by Pav View Post

5) MAYBE THE MOST INTERESTING DETAIL FOR ME THIS ISSUE: when Colleen and Misty are (rightfully) chastising Marcus aka Whatshisface, in the foreground Ben has his eyes closed and doesn't look happy; in the background are the panels from last issue of Ben punching X-Ray(?) THROUGH THE HEAD.

What, exactly, do we think that is supposed to imply?
    I went back and looked at this after seeing your post, the background anels are people watching monitors of Ben's fight with the U-foes - they're at the top of the page too in the first panel with Misty and Colleen but the angle is slightly different, don't think it is meant to imply anything

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by scarletspidey View Post
    those who complain that Spider-man replacement has been done to death and too often... what are you actually talking about? It has happened a grand total of 3 times including this one!
    The 90's clone saga, sure that was intended to replace him, but was over 25 years ago
    The second time was not far off a decade ago and was always a limited change
    This one is set at 19 issues, and features the same guy from the 90s taking over for s short while whilst keeping Peter and his supporting cast in the book anyway....

Loved this issue, ironed out my problems with issue 1. I've read it 3 times already and can't wait for the next issue (damn 2 week wait!)
    Already done to death but I'll try to keep it short

1)Agency:-Most major characters's "deaths" are a part of their own story and they are replaced after the fact.Peter's "deaths" have been for the sole reason for replacing rather than a part of his organic arc.

2)Respect:-Superior specially and even Beyond to an extent is all about the replacement being more efficient and better.It's not even subtle w/ the words superior and "new and improved"(Beyond) being in use.Superior showed/shoved down our throat how much Peter was a bad hero and how Ock is better from the start w/ the web air bags thing at the start to the entire story.Beyond has done that w/ spinnerets, etc. in first encounter and then w/ U-foes at the end in the first issue, although I am more hopefully of Beyond and it doesn't seem to bad but we have to wait and see.Ben in clone saga was being sold as the real Peter.
    Other heroes getting replaced like Logan,Cap, etc. we are always told how good they were and how difficult it is to fill their shoes.

3)Effect on the MU-Most major characters when die/get replaced are shown to have an impact on other heroes.Peter never gets that, his replacements are always engineered that none of them get to react to it.There's nothing in that regard for Spider-man

4)Legacy relation:-Most people interact/train and are on good terms w/ their replacements like Logan,Cap., Iron man.
    Peter rarely interacts w/ Miles who is a semi-replacement/legacy and others like Sp0ck and Ben he's either "dead" or now bedridden/coma.Even w/ Miles when he interacts he is almost always nerfed whether you take their first encounter in Spider-men or their recent one is MM solo or a random one like the Blackheart encounter or their fight w/ Tasky in Spider-men 2.Despite being more experienced, smarter and physically better by a mile they are treated as equals at best or Peter is the jobbing.
    Ben and Peter won't interact a lot in Beyond since he's in coma for a hot sec and we have solicits giving us a general idea of how things will go.

Some other points but I feel this is enough.

Overall, aside from having a lot of replacement arcs the ideas and executions of these arcs w/ Spider-man is terrible.Hence after Beyond hopefully we are done w/ them for a long time

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by Spiderfan001 View Post
    Already done to death but I'll try to keep it short

1)Agency:-Most major characters's "deaths" are a part of their own story and they are replaced after the fact.Peter's "deaths" have been for the sole reason for replacing rather than a part of his organic arc.

2)Respect:-Superior specially and even Beyond to an extent is all about the replacement being more efficient and better.It's not even subtle w/ the words superior and "new and improved"(Beyond) being in use.Superior showed/shoved down our throat how much Peter was a bad hero and how Ock is better from the start w/ the web air bags thing at the start to the entire story.Beyond has done that w/ spinnerets, etc. in first encounter and then w/ U-foes at the end in the first issue, although I am more hopefully of Beyond and it doesn't seem to bad but we have to wait and see.Ben in clone saga was being sold as the real Peter.
    Other heroes getting replaced like Logan,Cap, etc. we are always told how good they were and how difficult it is to fill their shoes.

3)Effect on the MU-Most major characters when die/get replaced are shown to have an impact on other heroes.Peter never gets that, his replacements are always engineered that none of them get to react to it.There's nothing in that regard for Spider-man

4)Legacy relation:-Most people interact/train and are on good terms w/ their replacements like Logan,Cap., Iron man.
    Peter rarely interacts w/ Miles who is a semi-replacement/legacy and others like Sp0ck and Ben he's either "dead" or now bedridden/coma.Even w/ Miles when he interacts he is almost always nerfed whether you take their first encounter in Spider-men or their recent one is MM solo or a random one like the Blackheart encounter or their fight w/ Tasky in Spider-men 2.Despite being more experienced, smarter and physically better by a mile they are treated as equals at best or Peter is the jobbing.
    Ben and Peter won't interact a lot in Beyond since he's in coma for a hot sec and we have solicits giving us a general idea of how things will go.

Some other points but I feel this is enough.

Overall, aside from having a lot of replacement arcs the ideas and executions of these arcs w/ Spider-man is terrible.Hence after Beyond hopefully we are done w/ them for a long time
    I mean I was reacting to those acting like we have this all the time in ASM and pointing out that wasn't the case
    what you've described is not liking it (which is fair) but you've not even given Beyond a remote chance from the off
    The solicits show Peter isn't completely disappearing so we have no idea how much they'll interact

Amazing Member

So we know that Beyond will be 19 chapters, do we know if this means just 19 issues of Amazing, or does it also include the .bey issues, potentially even the miles tie in and the black cat/mj issue. What issue of Amazing is Beyond set to end?

Quote Originally Posted by PizzaTime2099 View Post
    So we know that Beyond will be 19 chapters, do we know if this means just 19 issues of Amazing, or does it also include the .bey issues, potentially even the miles tie in and the black cat/mj issue. What issue of Amazing is Beyond set to end?
    Maybe the .BEY issues will be labeled as interludes? Or maybe it'd be classified as chapter 4.5 or something. If I had to guess Beyond is likely going to end on issue 91 or 92ish, though I could be off.

Extraordinary Member

I mean I was reacting to those acting like we have this all the time in ASM and pointing out that wasn't the case
    what you've described is not liking it (which is fair) but you've not even given Beyond a remote chance from the off
    The solicits show Peter isn't completely disappearing so we have no idea how much they'll interact
    I am, I just said that Beyond is doing a good job at most of it so far.I don't think they will interact much for a while since he just went in a coma and solicits show he'll be in a come/bedridden for a few months.
    Still as of now I'm hyped for it, they did a great job so far.

I do have a one concern in that Beyond has multiple writers, and all of them less competent than Zeb Wells at that.Same w/ art and Patrick Gleason but overall I have high hopes for this.

Quote Originally Posted by PizzaTime2099 View Post
    I've been wondering the same thing

Quote Originally Posted by JustLuke View Post
    Maybe the .BEY issues will be labeled as interludes? Or maybe it'd be classified as chapter 4.5 or something. If I had to guess Beyond is likely going to end on issue 91 or 92ish, though I could be off.
    I thought so to, but they use the word 19 part-er and not 19 issues which is what makes me think .BEY might be included.Otherwise I'm also thinking it's 19 main issues.

I hope the Beyond staff will learn from Superior that "showing is better than telling". Superior had a lot of author commentary on how the point was that Otto really wasn't better than Peter, but the book failed to convey such a point. Heck, a bunch of people were left thinking the opposite.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Webhead View Post
    I hope the Beyond staff will learn from Superior that "showing is better than telling". Superior had a lot of author commentary on how the point was that Otto really wasn't better than Peter, but the book failed to convey such a point. Heck, a bunch of people were left thinking the opposite.
    Agreed, only because Slott butchered Peter.All the reasons why people think Otto>Peter is just Slott Peter and bad writing.

I liked this issue and I am interested in seeing where this goes with Beyond.
    "Life is too short so love the one you got cause you might get run over or you might get shot" - Sublime

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by JustLuke View Post
    looks like it might all be over for Ben in issue 87: https://bleedingcool.com/comics/a-ne...uary-solicits/

Extraordinary Member

looks like it might all be over for Ben in issue 87: https://bleedingcool.com/comics/a-ne...uary-solicits/
    It's not.At best(worst) Ben will be in a bad mental shape and Peter will start his comeback(which he did in December as well so might be just another fake)

Quote Originally Posted by Webhead View Post
    A nice character bit. I completely missed MJ's ring.
    Ya I totally missed the ring as well.

Makes ya wonder what the future holds.
    "Life is too short so love the one you got cause you might get run over or you might get shot" - Sublime