Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

Well, admittedly we got through an entire era and 74 issues without a replacement story, so I guess we're due and we know it's probably even more temporary than Superior was.

So, coincidence of the day, i just finished Immortal Hulk #50 (it was fine but not great) and decided to read other Ewing stuff out of interest, so i went for his Mighty Avengers and Cap and the Mighty Avengers books and i was surprised to find that the Beyond Corporation were the final boss. If this are supposed to be the same guys, man i hope that they really have a creative ending, because these guys are really out of Peter and Ben's league.

As for the issue, the Peter and Ben moment was nice, the rest was average, still nothing that solid. But at least Ben sounds like himself, wich after CC is a relief. Otherwise, i'm still tempted to quit the series and come back when is almost over, i did the same with Spencer, so i probably should do it here too.
    "Wow. You made Spider-Man sad, congratulations. I stabbed The Hulk last week"
    Wolverine, Venom Annual # 1 (2018)
    Nobody does it better by Jeff Loveness

"I am Thou, Thou Art I"
    Persona

Quote Originally Posted by TheCape View Post
    So, coincidence of the day, i just finished Immortal Hulk #50 (it was fine but not great)
    Still wondering how McGee did an optic blast lol.

As for the issue, the Peter and Ben moment was nice, the rest was average, still nothing that solid. But at least Ben sounds like himself, wich after CC is a relief. Otherwise, i'm still tempted to quit the series and come back when is almost over, i did the same with Spencer, so i probably should do it here too.
    That might be for the best, waiting it out, 'cause this issue and the previous one felt like half issues.

It's annoying how modern comics may have so little content, this one has the excuse of being weekly I guess, so it's gonna have a pacing that it's slightly better than manga.

Mighty Member

I loved it. We're 2 for 2 in the Beyond era.

First, my biggest criticism: you can tell Gleason was a little bit rushed on the art duties. He hits the glamour shots, but a lot of the smaller moments were not as excellent. He definitely put more time into #75. Not that I thought any of this art was bad, it just wasn't up to the glowing standard of last ish.

I absolutely loved Ben here. This was beautiful. Taking Pete to the hospital, contacting MJ and May, even though it hurts him to do so. I love the fact that he did it in defiance of what Beyond wanted and even then was so affected by Peter's condition that he went back again later, and again against Beyond's instructions. He's not the corporate shill he was made out to be in some corners last week, at least not yet.

The Spider Bros were excellent. A little angst, but I thought it was fair to bring that back up for readers not familiar with the Pete/Ben dynamic. But Ben opening up about how he approached Peter in 75 and feeling bad about it. And even analyzing why, which I thought fit Ben well. I'm on record from 75 as being one of those who didn't think Ben did anything wrong in that first conversation, and I stand by that. But that doesn't mean I didn't enjoy seeing Ben reflect, and ask himself the same things other people were thinking about in that discussion. And coming to Peter.

I will agree with an earlier poster in this thread, I really wish "Be amazing" had been "Be sensational" instead, but you win some you lose some. The moment was great in either event. And I even liked that Peter is trying to shield Ben from just how bad his condition is. These are two men who can't help but care for one another, even as they each make the other's life more difficult just by existing. Brothers indeed.

I continue to fall more in love with Ben's new suit with each issue. I was uncertain back when it was revealed. Liked it a lot in the FCBD, and thought it looked great last week. But Gleason is killing it with the power shots and it's working for me. I think the colors help, the colorist is knocking it out of the park. Will be interesting to see it rendered by the other artists on the team and see if it holds up as well.

And, to wrap up. Is anybody else reading a little bit of comic book criticism of the Tom Holland Spider-Man in this? Ben feels very MCU Spidey, with the team of help and the advanced tech he's getting Beyond. Not to mention the over-eager attitude of early MCU Spidey. Maybe just a coincidence, but I can't help but wonder if the comparison is deliberate. Something to keep an eye on as the run moves forward.

No, I take it back, one more thing: Marvel, please. However you decide to end Beyond, whether it does Ben dirty or not, please, please give us Spider-Men 3, featuring the Spider-Bros. Peter, Ben, Kaine and Miles, all on an adventure together. Just 4-5 issues, that's all I ask. And yes, I know Ben and Miles probably not going to be getting along, what with their meeting coming up in the pages of Beyond. But pretty please?

Edit: To fix my brain fart.
    Last edited by ZeroBG82; 10-13-2021 at 10:51 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by ZeroBG82 View Post
    I will agree with an earlier poster in this thread, I really wish "Be amazing" had been "Be spectacular" instead, but you win some you lose some.
    If they wanted to go all in for the wink to the audience, it should have been "be sensational".

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by jda95 View Post
    If they wanted to go all in for the wink to the audience, it should have been "be sensational".
    Oops, that's what I meant! To many Spidey adjectives and my fingers typing faster than my brain. Thanks for the catch. Editing my post now...

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    Well, admittedly we got through an entire era and 74 issues without a replacement story, so I guess we're due and we know it's probably even more temporary than Superior was.
    The fact we think going one run w/out replacing means we're due means it happens way too much.As good as Beyond seems to be I really hope we're done w/ replacing for a solid decade+ after this.

Quote Originally Posted by TheCape View Post
    So, coincidence of the day, i just finished Immortal Hulk #50 (it was fine but not great) and decided to read other Ewing stuff out of interest, so i went for his Mighty Avengers and Cap and the Mighty Avengers books and i was surprised to find that the Beyond Corporation were the final boss. If this are supposed to be the same guys, man i hope that they really have a creative ending, because these guys are really out of Peter and Ben's league.

Yeah, that's why I confused to.Just seems they have a lot more resources we haven't even seen yet.I think we have a Beyond focus issue in the solicits and can't wait for it.

Quote Originally Posted by jda95 View Post
    Tbf he is in Amazing Spider-man and taking over the Spider-man role in that.

If we're going for comic titles, Peter should've said "be Web of" .

Quote Originally Posted by Spiderfan001 View Post
    The fact we think going one run w/out replacing means we're due means it happens way too much.As good as Beyond seems to be I really hope we're done w/ replacing for a solid decade+ after this.
    Yeah, while they're making it clear this is temporary, unlike clone saga and Superior, it's still wack to replace Peter at all.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Lukmendes View Post

Yeah, while they're making it clear this is temporary, unlike clone saga and Superior, it's still wack to replace Peter at all.
    Replacements aren’t “wack.” Bad stories are wack. Personally I think one of the biggest bummers is when Barry Allen took back Flash from probably the best legacy character of all time, Wally West.

Quote Originally Posted by HypnoHustler View Post
    Replacements aren’t “wack.” Bad stories are wack. Personally I think one of the biggest bummers is when Barry Allen took back Flash from probably the best legacy character of all time, Wally West.
    I'm not saying replacements are all wack, I actually prefer Wally over Barry all day for example, and I'm still butthurt over how much DC sidelines Wally for Barry to look good.

The problem is making those stories that take Peter out of the picture temporarily for whatever reason, I'll give it to Beyond for not being mean spirited like clone saga or Superior (So far at least), but I'll always find it weird how Ben came outta nowhere for this to happen, and this is happening not even 10 years after Superior ended, feels too soon.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by themasething View Post
    I guess I'm the only one who is getting sick of Marvel trying to replace Peter as Spider-Man every few years? Ben, Miles, Doc Ock, Miles again, and now Ben again... Why does Marvel feel the need to push Peter out of the costume other than a marketing gimmick to sell more books?
    You forgot Mattie Franklin

The gag with "Be Sensational" is that Sensational Spider-Man was the new title that launched Ben-as-Spidey the first time round (which actually replaced Web of...).

An Incarnation Of Death. The Black Death's Avatar

I'm not saying replacements are all wack, I actually prefer Wally over Barry all day for example, and I'm still butthurt over how much DC sidelines Wally for Barry to look good.

The problem is making those stories that take Peter out of the picture temporarily for whatever reason, I'll give it to Beyond for not being mean spirited like clone saga or Superior (So far at least), but I'll always find it weird how Ben came outta nowhere for this to happen, and this is happening not even 10 years after Superior ended, feels too soon.
    Anyway, it doesn't matter to ask those questions now, considering that we are already in the Beyond stage. What really matters is that they do things right, which they seem to be doing well, recovering a bit of that brotherly relationship that Ben and Peter had, which was lost a few years ago.

Extraordinary Member

Nothing but facts

Beyond and maybe Mattie did a good job at this but all this stuff like Saga and Superior and now Beyond was done for the sake of replacing Peter as opposed to when Cap or Tony or lOgan get replaced it's when they die or are unavailable as part of their own arc instead of being taken out for the sole reason of replacing.That's what bothers me so much.If Spencer's run was meant to end w/ him being unable/unavailable to be Spidey I'm for it because that's his own arc.Almost Every time he's been it for that reason instead of part of his own organic arc.

Quote Originally Posted by The Black Death View Post
    Anyway, it doesn't matter to ask those questions now, considering that we are already in the Beyond stage. What really matters is that they do things right, which they seem to be doing well, recovering a bit of that brotherly relationship that Ben and Peter had, which was lost a few years ago.
    Yeah, just saying that after this they should drop the replacing thing.Beyond has done a great job so far

Astonishing Member

It’s ridiculous. Who was clamoring for the return of a bland character that had been dead for 30 years when Wally had long been accepted in the role and proven much more interesting in the process? I don’t know what editors/writers are thinking sometimes when they do crap like this. Maybe they got notes from Warner as it happened around the same time the DCEU was starting.

All I know is I’m enjoying it more than the past year of Spencer’s run. We’ll see how the other writers take up the baton though. Zeb Wells has done such a good job so far, that I wish he was handling the whole thing. Most of these other writers I either know little about or I’ve heard mixed things.

Quote Originally Posted by The Black Death View Post
    Sure, and I'm judging the story for that, I'm generally making points that aren't "I don't like Peter being replaced", stuff like the pacing is pretty whatever so far and makes the comic not really be interesting to read unless it's trade.

Quote Originally Posted by Spiderfan001 View Post
    Beyond and maybe Mattie did a good job at this but all this stuff
    Mattie barely counts, she was the Spider-Man in ASM#1 vol 2, then Peter returned as Spidey a long time later, at the end of ASM#2, so yeah lol.

like Saga and Superior and now Beyond was done for the sake of replacing Peter as opposed to when Cap or Tony or lOgan get replaced it's when they die or are unavailable as part of their own arc instead of being taken out for the sole reason of replacing.
    Thinking of it, Tony being replaced by Riri was very similar to Beyond, only much worse because, well, Riri being written by Bendis, and it overstayed its welcome.

Kinda funny Tony got both extremes, since Rhodes was alright I think.

Edit:

Quote Originally Posted by HypnoHustler View Post
    It’s ridiculous. Who was clamoring for the return of a bland character that had been dead for 30 years when Wally had long been accepted in the role and proven much more interesting in the process? I don’t know what editors/writers are thinking sometimes when they do crap like this. Maybe they got notes from Warner as it happened around the same time the DCEU was starting.
    I think Barry returned 5 years before DCEU happened, or something like that.

And honestly? The problem is toxic nostalgia, people like DiDio don't like legacy characters, so clearly it means the original has to return, you just have to ignore how characters like Barry are legacy themselves of course.

Writers like Geoff Johns don't help too lol.

All I know is I’m enjoying it more than the past year of Spencer’s run. We’ll see how the other writers take up the baton though. Zeb Wells has done such a good job so far, that I wish he was handling the whole thing. Most of these other writers I either know little about or I’ve heard mixed things.
    Wait and see as always lol.
    Last edited by Lukmendes; 10-14-2021 at 12:44 AM.