Page 6 of 11 FirstFirst ... 2345678910 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Lukmendes View Post
    Still wondering how McGee did an optic blast lol.

That might be for the best, waiting it out, 'cause this issue and the previous one felt like half issues.

It's annoying how modern comics may have so little content, this one has the excuse of being weekly I guess, so it's gonna have a pacing that it's slightly better than manga.
    The answer is Gamma.

Don't worry, by the end of the month the four comics would feel like one big issue
    "Wow. You made Spider-Man sad, congratulations. I stabbed The Hulk last week"
    Wolverine, Venom Annual # 1 (2018)
    Nobody does it better by Jeff Loveness

"I am Thou, Thou Art I"
    Persona

Quote Originally Posted by Spiderfan001 View Post
    Yeah, but still his "death" was in CW2 IIRC.
    Which's not a good thing .

My point is all other major or less major characters get agency in their deaths and then are replaced and w/ a lot of respect as well(example Logan or Cap) but Spidey has no agency in his replacements arcs and is mostly disrespected.I'm very happy to see Beyond is not doing this so far,Ben and even Misty and Colleen have shown respect for Peter.
    Funny the most respect Spidey got was in Ultimate of all places... Which was then followed by a pretty disrespectful resurrection, classic Bendis.

Agreed, people absolutely adored Spencer's first issues, even till double digits.2 issues is way too small a sample size, specially considering that multiple (less competent)writers will also write this and that the Ben Peter dynamic that has been the highlight is also going away not to mention that the stunning art will also be changed.Beyond in it's format is extremely inconsistent, hopefully they deliver regardless.
    I'll be expecting a BND2 just because Marvel is really good at repeating its dumb mistakes lol.

Quote Originally Posted by scarletspidey View Post
    those who complain that Spider-man replacement has been done to death and too often... what are you actually talking about? It has happened a grand total of 3 times including this one!
    The 90's clone saga, sure that was intended to replace him, but was over 25 years ago
    The second time was not far off a decade ago and was always a limited change
    This one is set at 19 issues, and features the same guy from the 90s taking over for s short while whilst keeping Peter and his supporting cast in the book anyway....

Loved this issue, ironed out my problems with issue 1. I've read it 3 times already and can't wait for the next issue (damn 2 week wait!)
    Well, the last two were really mean spirited, and the last one ended 7 years ago, which feels a bit too soon, so it's understandable why fans can be wary of it, or just not like Peter being replaced in general lol.

So far this is more respectful than clone saga and Superior, at least.

Quote Originally Posted by Webhead View Post
    I hope the Beyond staff will learn from Superior that "showing is better than telling". Superior had a lot of author commentary on how the point was that Otto really wasn't better than Peter, but the book failed to convey such a point. Heck, a bunch of people were left thinking the opposite.
    The impression I got from Superior is that Otto is more effective as Spider-Man when things are "normal", but he's worse as a Peter Parker since he doesn't care about people around him as much, and when things get too rough he rage quits like a lil' bitch.

in that sense, I guess Spidey is the Superior Spider-Man™, but uh, it's generic and still doesn't change how the rest of the story is mean spirited lol.

Quote Originally Posted by TheCape View Post
    The answer is Gamma.
    Guess "Gamma" can mean "asspull" lol.

May it not reach Speedforce levels of asspull, unless it did already, I dunno, I don't read Hulk much lol.

Don't worry, by the end of the month the four comics would feel like one big issue
    With this pacing, it'll feel like one big issue where nothing much happens either way lol.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Lukmendes View Post
    Which's not a good thing .
    100% agreed, but no matter how good or bad the writing it was still his arc.Still better than any of Pete's even including Beyond in concept, the writing for Beyond is much better than CW2 so far.

Funny the most respect Spidey got was in Ultimate of all places... Which was then followed by a pretty disrespectful resurrection, classic Bendis.
    Exactly, it's a damn shame

I'll be expecting a BND2 just because Marvel is really good at repeating its dumb mistakes lol.
    "Insert Michael Scott NOOO meme here"

Well, the last two were really mean spirited, and the last one ended 7 years ago, which feels a bit too soon, so it's understandable why fans can be wary of it, or just not like Peter being replaced in general lol.
    So far this is more respectful than clone saga and Superior, at least.
    Facts

With this pacing, it'll feel like one big issue where nothing much happens either way lol.
    Yeah, still I like it's 19 issues/arts.Atleast we know plot will have to move at a relatively fast pace

Astonishing Member

Speaking of BND, let’s be honest… that was kind of a replacement story too. Going from mature, married and emotionally hardened Peter who was at least 30… to some early 20s hipster man-child douche who sticks his tongue down a stranger’s throat at a club was pretty jarring. He was PINO, Peter In Name Only. Over the years, some of his pre-BND traits have come back (though never fully tbh). But in a way that’s a replacement story, and it might be the worst one.

Spectacular Member Obsidian Spider's Avatar

What a week! 2 Ben appearances!!

Scarlet Ben in Iron Man (love that artist's take on him) and Beyond Ben in Amazing!!!

Zeb is doing Ben right. I can actually see the Peter side of him shining through as opposed to whatever was going on in his solo series by Peter David. The new costume and gadgets are cool but the character stuff is what's hooking me.

I will forever advocate that they need to have a "diner issue" (just coined that term) where nothing else is going on to rush things and they just have lunch and talk and reminisce about being the same fucking person! There's so much heart and comedy potential for a one-off issue like this. Comics never take the time to let clones appreciate each other! Brother from another test tube.

Speaking of clones, where is Kaine these days? Has he popped up since the end of the Scarlet Spider series?

Quote Originally Posted by Obsidian Spider View Post
    Speaking of clones, where is Kaine these days? Has he popped up since the end of the Scarlet Spider series?
    If the wiki is accurate, last time he showed up was in Spider-Geddon, so yeah, it's been a while since the last time he showed up lol.

To make it weirder, Aracely showed up in Champions#6 vol 3:

And she makes no mention of Kaine... At least her personality was intact, even if this is just a cameo lol.

Quote Originally Posted by Obsidian Spider View Post
    I will forever advocate that they need to have a "diner issue" (just coined that term) where nothing else is going on to rush things and they just have lunch and talk and reminisce about being the same fucking person! There's so much heart and comedy potential for a one-off issue like this.
    i'd buy it.

i mean, we might be the only two that do but still...
    troo fan or death

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by boots View Post
    i'd buy it.

i mean, we might be the only two that do but still...
    You’d not be the only two. When Ben came back, I realized it wasn’t him I missed so much, as the brotherly dynamic and exchanges between him and Peter. Most fans of Ben are fans due to that unique relationship in comics.

Astonishing Member

Make us four

Quote Originally Posted by Sr. Bungle View Post
    Make us four
    it's a hit!
    troo fan or death

Yeah that specific dynamic is definitely what all Ben fans are really craving. I think the very best scene in that vein was in the very first issue of Revelations when Pete and Ben were reminiscing in Aunt May’s attic shortly before the **** hit the fan.

Astonishing Member

There’s been other bromances in comics, but that one is my favorite… mostly because it just came about naturally and was kind of unplanned even by the writers.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by HypnoHustler View Post
    Speaking of BND, let’s be honest… that was kind of a replacement story too. Going from mature, married and emotionally hardened Peter who was at least 30… to some early 20s hipster man-child douche who sticks his tongue down a stranger’s throat at a club was pretty jarring. He was PINO, Peter In Name Only. Over the years, some of his pre-BND traits have come back (though never fully tbh). But in a way that’s a replacement story, and it might be the worst one.
    Facts, the last decade specially before Spencer has been a Peter we don't recognize.So yeah, I think we should be done w/ replacement stories after this.

I do like the Peter Ben friendship though, it's actually hilarious

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Spiderfan001 View Post
    I do like the Peter Ben friendship though, it's actually hilarious
    That's why Ben fans like him so much. Check out Spectacular Spider-Man #240 for some heartfelt bro moments between Peter and Ben. It's the beginning of the end of the clone saga.

"Despite the fork in the road five years ago, we are the same guy. Closer that brothers-- closer than two people could be. When I found out that I was the clone and not you-- okay... yeah, I bugged out... but after that-- it was you! It was your strength-- your acceptance of it when you thought you were the clone that carried me through! You were my strength, and. well... you've come to mean a lot to me. I love you, man."
    —Peter Parker

You'll never see that kind of deep stuff between Pete and Miles, and definitely not between Pete and Otto.

https://marvel.fandom.com/wiki/Spect...-Man_Vol_1_240

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by HypnoHustler View Post
    That's why Ben fans like him so much. Check out Spectacular Spider-Man #240 for some heartfelt bro moments between Peter and Ben. It's the beginning of the end of the clone saga.

"Despite the fork in the road five years ago, we are the same guy. Closer that brothers-- closer than two people could be. When I found out that I was the clone and not you-- okay... yeah, I bugged out... but after that-- it was you! It was your strength-- your acceptance of it when you thought you were the clone that carried me through! You were my strength, and. well... you've come to mean a lot to me. I love you, man."
    —Peter Parker

You'll never see that kind of deep stuff between Pete and Miles, and definitely not between Pete and Otto.

https://marvel.fandom.com/wiki/Spect...-Man_Vol_1_240
    Thanks for the recommendation, will do

Also Peter and Miles have no relationship of note, he just uses Peter's name and they rarely interact.And Ock is well.... Ock.