Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Huntsman Spider View Post
    Yeah, Ock giving Beyond Corp a bloody nose and a black eye with this would be great, but considering it might come at the cost of a lot of innocent casualties . . .
    I'm very interested to see how Ock is presented and and how he'll interact with Ben -- especially because we're getting Otto in his white suit.

Maybe it's not particularly meaningful -- but I hope it is.

For one, Otto and Ben never met back in the 90s Clone Saga because Otto's neck got snapped by Kaine fairly early on.

What I liked about that portrayal of Otto Octavius was the dimension to his character: his willingness to save Peter, for example, showed that he wasn't a cackling megalomaniac. He had respect for Peter and for their relationship as rivals.

My hope is that the current writing team has decided to keep the character growth that Otto has gained, as symbolized by a return to the suit in which he was similarly presented as three-dimensional. Seeing Doc Ock become a legitimate anti-villain would be incredibly interesting to me.

-Pav, who is maybe overly influenced by the issue of Spider-Boy by Amalgam Comics...
    You were Spider-Man then. You and Peter had agreed on it. But he came back right when you started feeling comfortable.
    You know what it means when he comes back

"You're not the better one, Peter. You're just older."
    --------------------
    Closet full of comics? Consider donating to my school! DM for details

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Huntsman Spider View Post
    Yeah, Ock giving Beyond Corp a bloody nose and a black eye with this would be great, but considering it might come at the cost of a lot of innocent casualties . . .
    That Teddy Bear in the cover sure gives that impression

Fantastic Member

Yeah, I'm thinking what 'Shakes Ben to the core' is Janine dying. He'll probably be an emotional mess, and it'll be up to Peter to save the day.

Also, Ock needs to keep the suit from now on. My opinion, it's his best look.
    Last edited by t-spider; 10-13-2021 at 08:12 PM.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by t-spider View Post
    Yeah, I'm thinking what 'Shakes Ben to the core' is Janine dying. He'll probably be an emotional mess, and it'll be up to Peter to save the day.

I’d be really surprised if Marvel fridges a love interest in 2021, but we’ll see. Either that or Ben finds out Beyond was behind a lot of the menaces he’s been fighting.

Quote Originally Posted by HypnoHustler View Post
    I’d be really surprised if Marvel fridges a love interest in 2021, but we’ll see. Either that or Ben finds out Beyond was behind a lot of the menaces he’s been fighting.
    To be honest I have been thinking Janine is screaming "death flag", but you're right that fridging is not a good look these days. Probably the last major one in Spider-books was Rio Morales' death almost 10 years ago which they quickly swept under the rug after Secret Wars.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Pav View Post
    I'm very interested to see how Ock is presented and and how he'll interact with Ben -- especially because we're getting Otto in his white suit.

Maybe it's not particularly meaningful -- but I hope it is.

For one, Otto and Ben never met back in the 90s Clone Saga because Otto's neck got snapped by Kaine fairly early on.

What I liked about that portrayal of Otto Octavius was the dimension to his character: his willingness to save Peter, for example, showed that he wasn't a cackling megalomaniac. He had respect for Peter and for their relationship as rivals.

My hope is that the current writing team has decided to keep the character growth that Otto has gained, as symbolized by a return to the suit in which he was similarly presented as three-dimensional. Seeing Doc Ock become a legitimate anti-villain would be incredibly interesting to me.

-Pav, who is maybe overly influenced by the issue of Spider-Boy by Amalgam Comics...
    Spitting, either this or the fact he replaced Spider-man should play a role.

That or civilians dying, a lot of them.Janine is the only one who seems to see through Beyond just a tiny bit so either she dies at the end or she motivates Ben to make a sacrifice(lethal/non-lethal).

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by jda95 View Post
    To be honest I have been thinking Janine is screaming "death flag", but you're right that fridging is not a good look these days. Probably the last major one in Spider-books was Rio Morales' death almost 10 years ago which they quickly swept under the rug after Secret Wars.
    They might send her back to prison, which wouldn’t have the same effect, but would still be pretty devastating for Ben. Hmmn…

Extraordinary Member

They took Miles's best story and character development and fridged that which is worse.

I think Janine is leverage, maybe Ben wants to quit but they have her hostage or something

Quote Originally Posted by Spiderfan001 View Post
    They took Miles's best story and character development and fridged that which is worse.
    Fridging has a very specfic meaning where female characters in comics are killed or otherwise affected by violence solely to power a man's storyline. Let's not conflate that with "I'm not happy with a male character's development".

Mighty Member

I think Janine is leverage, maybe Ben wants to quit but they have her hostage or something
    This is my thought. ASM 76 sure makes it look like they expect her to help control Ben, what with them trying to use her to castigate him for being late at the beginning of the issue. Be curious to see if she plays ball, or if she stands up to them when the moment comes. Not going back to jail sure gives her a good reason to be Team Beyond, which might mean she's not quite as Team Ben as she looks.

Extraordinary Member

Fridging has a very specfic meaning where female characters in comics are killed or otherwise affected by violence solely to power a man's storyline. Let's not conflate that with "I'm not happy with a male character's development".
    It's not female only, just used more for them since most female characters were/are side characters specially earlier.We have an entire discussion on fridging that just took place on the X-men forum, there's a very recent thread for it and it's been explained there in good detail by me and others.
    It's also for no name characters and not popular ones, agency is a part of that.Again it's all in that thread.

I wasn't saying you were happy or not w/ it being retconed, just that it was the best and most meanigful development he has since his origin and now it's gone.

Quote Originally Posted by ZeroBG82 View Post
    This is my thought. ASM 76 sure makes it look like they expect her to help control Ben, what with them trying to use her to castigate him for being late at the beginning of the issue. Be curious to see if she plays ball, or if she stands up to them when the moment comes. Not going back to jail sure gives her a good reason to be Team Beyond, which might mean she's not quite as Team Ben as she looks.

Agreed, although I think she will do what's best for Ben if she has to

Last edited by boots; 10-13-2021 at 11:25 PM.
    troo fan or death

Fantastic Member

I've never really been big fan of that fridging tagline... and yes, I know where it comes from. I just don't see it stopping Marvel if they want Janine to sleep with the fishes. Marvel will do it if they feel it makes sense for the story.
    Last edited by t-spider; 10-13-2021 at 11:51 PM.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by boots View Post
    Again side character vs main characters.Main ones are returned to status quo while side characters can change.It's just we have a lot more male main characters and that should be and is being changed.

I've never really been big fan of that fridging tagline... and yes, I know where it comes from. I just don't see it stopping Marvel if they want Janine to sleep with the fishes. Marvel will do it if they feel it makes sense for the story.
    Agreed, on the X forums we were talking about how a large majority great stories have fridging in them as well.I do think it will stop some writers at Marvels, but not Wells.

It's okay if it makes sense and the story is decent to me.

Fantastic Member

Again side character vs main characters.Main ones are returned to status quo while side characters can change.It's just we have a lot more male main characters and that should be and is being changed.

Agreed, on the X forums we were talking about how a large majority great stories have fridging in them as well.I do think it will stop some writers at Marvels, but not Wells.

It's okay if it makes sense and the story is decent to me.

Yeah. I mean, I want to clarify I understand where some are coming from... to me, I just don't see it stopping Marvel, one way or another. Mind. I'm not 100% certain it'll be her fate, just like someone else said, there's this big red flag when it comes to her. One way or another, however... I don't think she and Ben will be together by the end of this story.