Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast
    Mighty Member

Default Why is fridging female characters popular again? (Spoilers)

In X-Force, the issue that has been hyped up resulted in a mind controlled Colossus murdering Kayla! Who is Kayla? Nobody knows. Not even those who read X-Force. It seems she was created as a fan of Colossus cause he's a big gentle pacifist, and she got killed to show gentle Colossus doing something horrible cause he was possessed (a brand new storyline never used ever!).

Then he fridges Jean over in the Wolverine solo series. I didn't read that but that's what I keep hearing from people who did. If you read it, please tell us more about it.

And even Domino's only issue involved her going through something tragic, but it turned out to be a story about Colossus being shady (cause he's mind possessed!).

Why is this ok again? This is what we get now that Hickman is leaving? Another time travel story were nobody has heard of fridging?

I thought fridging was when popular female characters were killed for the male to have drama. I don't think, and i could be wrong, anybody cares about Kayla. I read every issue of X-factor and am still going who. And is it fridging in Jean case when Logan killed the whole team and they were back by the end of the story?
    Don't let anyone else hold the candle that lights the way to your future because only you can sustain the flame.
    Number of People on my ignore list: 0
    #conceptualthinking ^_^
    #ByeMarvEN

Into the breach.
    https://www.instagram.com/jartist27/

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by jwatson View Post
    I thought fridging was when popular female characters were killed for the male to have drama. I don't think, and i could be wrong, anybody cares about Kayla. I read every issue of X-factor and am still going who. And is it fridging in Jean case when Logan killed the whole team and they were back by the end of the story?
    Lol. Shade. That's still a fringing. Just cause nobody cares about Kayla doesn't mean that wasn't what happened.

And in Wolverine, he killed the whole team not just Jean? From what I heard only her death was mentioned....

Just want to jump in to say that it doesn't have to popular characters! I don't think Green Lanterns girlfriend was a popular character on her own when she was stuffed in that fridge.

Extraordinary Member

The trope name comes from what happened to Kyle Ryner's girlfriend right after he became Green Lantern - she was killed and stuffed in a refrigerator for him to find almost immediately before either character had the chance to become popular. It doesn't have anything to do with how popular the woman is, just that she is tortured or killed for the male character's development.

Quote Originally Posted by RamaBird View Post
    Lol. Shade. That's still a fringing. Just cause nobody cares about Kayla doesn't mean that wasn't what happened.

And in Wolverine, he killed the whole team not just Jean? From what I heard only her death was mentioned....
    Well im just going to have to say i'm glad little miss shady was put on ice. I guess i'm okay with friding sometimes? I'm hoping nobody finds her under that remote hill.

He killed the whole team.
    Don't let anyone else hold the candle that lights the way to your future because only you can sustain the flame.
    #conceptualthinking ^_^
    #ByeMarvEN

Into the breach.

Quote Originally Posted by Kingdom X View Post
    Just want to jump in to say that it doesn't have to popular characters! I don't think Green Lanterns girlfriend was a popular character on her own when she was stuffed in that fridge.
    Thanks for the info. I think fridging is before my time really getting deep into comics, i hear it quite a bit but i don't really get it.
    Last edited by jwatson; 10-13-2021 at 12:54 PM.
    #conceptualthinking ^_^
    #ByeMarvEN

Into the breach.

Quote Originally Posted by sunofdarkchild View Post
    The trope name comes from what happened to Kyle Ryner's girlfriend right after he became Green Lantern - she was killed and stuffed in a refrigerator for him to find almost immediately before either character had the chance to become popular. It doesn't have anything to do with how popular the woman is, just that she is tortured or killed for the male character's development.
    Okay now it makes sense, so someone was literally stuffed in a fridge. i find that actually funny. I mean not the why but the actually stuffing someone in a fridge part.
    Last edited by jwatson; 10-13-2021 at 12:54 PM.
    #conceptualthinking ^_^
    #ByeMarvEN

Into the breach.

The characters total value being reduced to a single moment of trauma for a more important character is kinda one of the defining points of Fridging.

Last edited by Nazrel; 10-13-2021 at 12:56 PM.
    Context is king.

X-23's most basic surface level characteristic that any idiot should grasp: Stoicism.
    I don't demand that her every minor appearance be a nuance in-depth examination of her character, but is it to much to ask she be written in Archetype?! This is storytelling 101! If you want people to stay invested in a character, you need to, at the bare minimum, write them such a way that they can plausibly be believed to be the same character!

BANNED

The character doesn't necessarily have to die, just so long as the character's torment only (note: only. If the event is part of her own character arc or development it's not fridging. Although WHAT sort of torment the female goes through can have other unfortunate implications) serves to motivate or develop the male character.

Kayla was always a plot device to highlight Colossus' tranquil state of being, and reluctance to violence.

I hate that "fridging" concept that is basically used every time a female character is killed.
    Of course Kayla didn't have any agenda and was created to stir emotions from Colossus. And that's fine. She was created for that, which is better than sacrifying some C-list pre-existing character. The same can be said of Beak's parents or Psylocke's daughter.

I'd rather complain when characters like Rockslide are killed so that bug name characters can pretend they are sad for one issue. Now that could be considered as "fridging" or any another buzz word one may stick on it.
    Bringing back the old, killing the young: that's the Marvel way

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by Reiko View Post
    Kayla was always a plot device to highlight Colossus' tranquil state of being, and reluctance to violence.
    Yeah it's a stock character for one time use, not every character in a story can or should be important.

Also they live on resurrection island, death is nothing more then being hit by a lead pipe really. I expect everybody on Krakoa to die a couple of times, probably gonna end with a genocide again at some point, anyway.

I do think Kayla qualifies as fridging, she was created just to die for the sake of Colossus' story. I don't think the rest are though.

I feel that at its core, the issue with fridging is similar to "the black guy dies first". Female and characters of color are seen as less important, which is why they die (or suffer) for the sake of the white protagonist.

I don't think that applies to Jean (since it was the entire team), or Domino (the story was about her, not about someone else), but it is true for Kayla.

Quote Originally Posted by Nazrel View Post
    The characters total value being reduced to a single moment of trauma for a more important character is kinda one of the defining points of Fridging.

Let me preface this by saying sometimes i can interpret things very literally. And i did watch the whole video.

This video confused the heck out of me about fridging. Like i get how it can be seen objectively as lazy to use character a to move the story for character b but i don't get how it could be a universal thing. Like if i am doing Guardians of the Galaxy and not gamora and i go into it with the plan for Thanos to kill gamora to achieve his goal some may say it is lazy but i don't get how using said character as a plot is inherently a bad thing if you went into with that being the plot. Gamora had daddy issues but while her death was used because it was necessary for her father to achieve his ultimate goal there was a purpose in her death, it just did not benefit her. So while she may not have gotten important story beats she was important to the plot in that she was the vessel to move the story itself forward. It sounds like what is being asked is to change the storyline, or the plot device because the one that was use was not favored.

I think i get it objectively but i feel like i would have to read the story and see how i feel cause i'm not really getting the concept.
    #conceptualthinking ^_^
    #ByeMarvEN

Into the breach.