Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
    Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by jwatson View Post
    I thought fridging was when popular female characters were killed for the male to have drama. I don't think, and i could be wrong, anybody cares about Kayla. I read every issue of X-factor and am still going who. And is it fridging in Jean case when Logan killed the whole team and they were back by the end of the story?
    The OG fridging happened to a femalde side character, who is basically just "that dude hero's girlfriend", it's killing off characters whose own narrative is shelved just to influence another character.

A lot of times we got fridged wives in stories, and we barely know or care about those wife characters.

The King Fears NO ONE! Triniking1234's Avatar

I feel you only have a case with Kayla. Everyone in X-Force got killed by Wolverine to show how powerful the enemy was and you re-wrote the Domino issue; she got more self-destructive after the abuse from her kidnapping and she finally got she wanted when she died on the train mission. Colossus was her confidant cuz she wanted to keep the memories of the kidnapping but I think he got them removed or something.
    "Cable was right!"

Mighty Member

yeah, only kayla would really count. Domino's situation is much more about Domino than it is about Colossus and the Wolverine situation is just a "Look how fucking strong the enemy is." Percy did the same with the psychic clone zombies. I don't think he fridged X-force for Omega Kid there either

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by jwatson View Post
    I thought fridging was when popular female characters were killed for the male to have drama. I don't think, and i could be wrong, anybody cares about Kayla. I read every issue of X-factor and am still going who. And is it fridging in Jean case when Logan killed the whole team and they were back by the end of the story?
    I would believe you if for example Shaw being slapped, gouged and crippled was for his own drama but it looks like that was for the girl squad to look cool

Quote Originally Posted by Rev9 View Post
    I would believe you if for example Shaw being slapped, gouged and crippled was for his own drama but it looks like that was for the girl squad to look cool
    Well he is still very villain-like
    GrindrStone(D)

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Rev9 View Post
    ??? Shaw got into that situation as a result of his own actions. He didn't get beat the hell up to impact Emma or Kate, he got beaten to hell as a direct result of his attempts to permanently murder Kate and get rid of Emma

Astonishing Member Celestialbodies's Avatar

I think many of you are conflating separate issues which is why the concept is confusing for you! Kayla is a perfect example of a character or narrative designed solely to further the angst of one character without any thought or long term development for the victim.

Gender is only a factor or has been because women are disporprotionately used across all forms of media as a minor inconvenience in the growth and development of a male character!

Quote Originally Posted by ZephyrSurf View Post
    ??? Shaw got into that situation as a result of his own actions. He didn't get beat the hell up to impact Emma or Kate, he got beaten to hell as a direct result of his attempts to permanently murder Kate and get rid of Emma
    Yeah fridging is less about the actual death/ brutalization of the character and more about the narrative implications. If Mystique or Moira die as a result of the events of Inferno, i don’t think anyone would be talking about fridging because they are presented as developed characters who play an active role in that story.

Quote Originally Posted by mugiwara View Post
    I hate that "fridging" concept that is basically used every time a female character is killed.
    Of course Kayla didn't have any agenda and was created to stir emotions from Colossus. And that's fine. She was created for that, which is better than sacrifying some C-list pre-existing character. The same can be said of Beak's parents or Psylocke's daughter.

I'd rather complain when characters like Rockslide are killed so that bug name characters can pretend they are sad for one issue. Now that could be considered as "fridging" or any another buzz word one may stick on it.
    Herein lies the problem that not everyone grasps. If it were a rare trope, then perhaps it wouldn't be as problematic. But it is an oft used plot device and when used over and over again, it reinforces the idea that females are there to drive the male's story... and made worse that the female has to suffer, be tortured, raped, and/or murdered. It's overused in literature, opera, theater, ballet, film, TV, etc. and needs to stop. It's the responsibility of writers to craft more interesting ways to tell stories and not rely on misogyny over and over again.

X-Men: Apocalypse, for example, did it to Magneto's wife and daughter... like just introduced them to be killed. I found it pretty grotesque and cheap.

The current trend of true crime shows also always starts with a dead girl. It's gotta stop somewhere.

After reading inferno i have to say if i think i understand what fridging is then i would have to say Goblin Queen was fridged In order to make her the heavy in the inferno story and absolve the other parties in the drama. Especially in the X-factor issues. They completely butchered Maddie's history of being a pilot, of becoming friends with the x-men all to fit into her being the villain in this story, the person who wasn't wrong but is doing the wrong. They contradicted the very story that started off inferno where we see maddie hit the screen and basically die and get tricked by a demon. It completely ignores the mentions from Storm of "wish maddie was here she knows this technology best." or later on when she was like "We must safe madelyne." And then all of a sudden in the span of basically an issue all of that that came before for the character was thrown out the window and she was some snister figure who had planned this all from the beginning and were using the xmen. We'll no sir, sorry mam. But we saw the connections she made while she was with the x-men and to the point i was going to with Storm it stupefies other characters in the process because Storm, as someone who sense life form and essence would know if Maddie was being false the entire time. Wolverine someone who could smell a lie would not have been deceived for so long if that were true. And after they tried to erase her history and detach her from every connection she made in the snap of a finger they killed her. That i would call fridging if i got it right.
    Don't let anyone else hold the candle that lights the way to your future because only you can sustain the flame.
    Number of People on my ignore list: 0
    #conceptualthinking ^_^
    #ByeMarvEN

Into the breach.
    https://www.instagram.com/jartist27/

Mighty Member

Everything about that movie was grotesque and cheap! lol.

Deadpool 2 also fridged Copycat. Deadpool even made fun of the writers for doing that later on.

And yeah, I could see what happened to Maddie fall into this category.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=85_zfbqQVDM&t=321s

Really enjoyed this review of X-Force #24 that addresses the topic of this thread. More than anything it’s just lazy storytelling.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by superjosh View Post
    Herein lies the problem that not everyone grasps. If it were a rare trope, then perhaps it wouldn't be as problematic. But it is an oft used plot device and when used over and over again, it reinforces the idea that females are there to drive the male's story... and made worse that the female has to suffer, be tortured, raped, and/or murdered. It's overused in literature, opera, theater, ballet, film, TV, etc. and needs to stop. It's the responsibility of writers to craft more interesting ways to tell stories and not rely on misogyny over and over again.
    This is, to an extent, why I would argue that there isn't a double-standard, and why the torture or killing of men to drive a female character's narrative doesn't garner the same attention: Because even though there are times it happens to male characters, the reality is that females are overwhelmingly the victims. While reducing any character to a plot device of this sort is inherently problematic, the reality is that women are far more likely to be considered "disposable" in this fashion.

Fridging is also specifically when a character is killed off (or maimed, tortured, ect) for no other reason than to cause emotional pain to a different character. And while it does happen to male characters, it happens to female characters much, much more. I'd bet it happens to children more than adult male characters as well. Although someone dying in the backstory probably isn't technically fridging.

If a character is killed off as part of their own story arc, then the follow up that deals with a friend/lover who survived isn't fridging, the dead character had their own story. Even if that death was stupid.

Also, killing someone merely to establish a threat as being serious business isn't fridging either, that one is The Worf Effect (so named after a Star Trek character whose background as a supposed great warrior served to make the threat of the week look more threatening by how easily they disposed of the so called great warrior).

Of course, it is possible for a death to fit into more than one category at a time.
    Last edited by Gray Lensman; 10-14-2021 at 07:00 PM.
    Dark does not mean deep.