Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 2345678 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Steroid View Post
    I absolutely detest the term fridging. When Gail Simone coined the phrase it just came across as a way to single out comics. When I was a kid my mom loved the Lifetime Network which was basically a network dedicated to male fridging. Watch one of their movies and tell me I'm wrong. Point being is that comics seems to be the only medium where there's this outcry for this trope.
    People point out fridging in TV, movies, books, and video games all the time.

Quote Originally Posted by Nyssane View Post
    People point out fridging in TV, movies, books, and video games all the time.
    That does not make it right.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Steroid View Post
    I absolutely detest the term fridging. When Gail Simone coined the phrase it just came across as a way to single out comics. When I was a kid my mom loved the Lifetime Network which was basically a network dedicated to male fridging. Watch one of their movies and tell me I'm wrong. Point being is that comics seems to be the only medium where there's this outcry for this trope.
    Spitting, like death is one of the most basic fundamentals and happens in almost every medium and mostly to side characters(for obv. reasons).And are you telling me that villains as sick as deranged as they are won't target a hero's family/friends?

and I agree it's only/mostly comics, if Michelle dies in NWH it's not fridging.I can't believe that MCU stans are better at handling death than comic book fans(I like MCU btw, but don't stan it)

Quote Originally Posted by Cane_danko View Post
    Because the comic fandom is so full of gatekeeping. Any time a writer does anything that rocks the boat they are accused of every ill conceived intent under the sun all so the accusers can justify why it is “bad writing”. To be fair to comic fans, you see this in movies (star wars, harry potter, whatever else) and video games as well (last of us 2 comes to mind). People speak in hyperbole as a means to be taken seriously because apparently just not liking something is not good enough because we have to completely shut the creative team down. Full stop. Do not pass go. Do not collect 200$. Claremont would have been crucified by the twitter mob if it was around during his time. And just because the mob agrees with you (or me for that matter) does not make it right. Grabbing the pitchforks and going after people you don’t agree with is the oldest trope in human history.
    Yeah Claremont would not survive a month today.Yeah TLOU2 is another male fridging, although it's done to a main character for the other main character(Joel and Ellie are the main ones IMO).

I understand not liking a trope/style of writing/etc. but let's calm down on the cancelling.People forget how many good stories involve fridging.
    Last edited by Spiderfan001; 10-15-2021 at 10:43 AM.

Is it really fridging when death has little meaning in this era? Yeah he killed off Jean in Wolverine, but guess what? She was back the next day. Who cares?

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Havok83 View Post
    Is it really fridging when death has little meaning in this era? Yeah he killed off Jean in Wolverine, but guess what? She was back the next day. Who cares?
    That was a gigantic reach, either that or baiting.The actual discussion is a bit interesting but that Wolverine an Domino examples weren't valid in the slightest.

Is it really X-Men if C-list characters aren't getting murked? The biggest recent offense imo is Rockslide I feel the character was done dirty.
    Last edited by ComeOnBunny; 10-15-2021 at 11:59 PM.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by ComeOnBunny View Post
    Is it really X-Men if C-list characters aren't getting murked? The biggest recent offense imo is Rockslide I feel the character was done dirty.
    LMAO yeah, and rockslide was the definition of fridging and the "kill a character to establish threat" trope, whatever that is called.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by RamaBird View Post
    Ooh, can a kid be fridged?

It's not like you can give a little child much personality, depth, drive and motivation right?

So it's not like you can rob them of that?

According to the "fridging rules", if a character has depth drive and motivation in their own death/story then they can't be fridged... right? How do you give a little kid all that in their death scene?
    Little Illyana's death from the Legacy Virus would count as fridging. She was absent from the books for 3 years and brought back only so she could be killed off to make other characters sad. She was treated as a prop rather than a character in her own right during this period, to the point where Xavier states he should have been more worried about Colossus than about the 7-year-old kid with the fatal disease. She's written as a paragon of innocence rather than a character, and the purpose of the story was to fulfill an editorial edict from Bob Harras to get rid of magical elements from the X-books and so her character arc was deliberately ignored and left unfulfilled. It can be argued that the story was better than the average fridging, but a fridging it was.

Often it's lazy and misogynic but not allways. Alex in GL was not a good move. More shockvalue then anything else.

On the other hand you have characters like Uncle Ben in Spider-man. Also a character introduced to die as a motivation for another character. A death that is essential to Spider-man. Another death like Gwen is harder to judge.

Death in fiction as a motivator is and will be continous thing. It can be a seperate thing from misogyny but it's often hasn't. On the other hand comics is young medium and it spent decades wrestling with problems like misogyny. Perhaps more due to a reflection of the times, perhaps not.

BANNED

There is no such thing as male fridging, really. Or rather, it is is not actually a pervasive or frequent problem. It is that pervasiveness that caused Gail Simome to generate the term.

But violence against women is a big problem in real life, not just media.
    Last edited by Kitty&Piotr<3; 10-16-2021 at 11:49 AM.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by sunofdarkchild View Post
    Little Illyana's death from the Legacy Virus would count as fridging. She was absent from the books for 3 years and brought back only so she could be killed off to make other characters sad. She was treated as a prop rather than a character in her own right during this period, to the point where Xavier states he should have been more worried about Colossus than about the 7-year-old kid with the fatal disease. She's written as a paragon of innocence rather than a character, and the purpose of the story was to fulfill an editorial edict from Bob Harras to get rid of magical elements from the X-books and so her character arc was deliberately ignored and left unfulfilled. It can be argued that the story was better than the average fridging, but a fridging it was.
    This may be the most valid fridging example we've seen in this thread.

Quote Originally Posted by Malachi View Post
    Often it's lazy and misogynic but not allways. Alex in GL was not a good move. More shockvalue then anything else.

On the other hand you have characters like Uncle Ben in Spider-man. Also a character introduced to die as a motivation for another character. A death that is essential to Spider-man. Another death like Gwen is harder to judge.

Death in fiction as a motivator is and will be continous thing. It can be a seperate thing from misogyny but it's often hasn't. On the other hand comics is young medium and it spent decades wrestling with problems like misogyny. Perhaps more due to a reflection of the times, perhaps not.
    Bruh so Ben was good but Gwen was hard to judge?
    Gwen's entire arc related to her loving Peter and hating Spider-man for killing her dad but being unaware that they were the same person, and more than Peter Gwen's death was a catalyst for MJ.MJ grew from her death far more than Peter did, although it had/has a lasting impact on both .When she died she heard that Peter was Spider-man and died feeling betrayed, she came back to life and then talked w/ Peter and since the process used in her ressurection wasn't stable went out buying time so others can be saved.

Quote Originally Posted by Kitty&Piotr<3 View Post
    There is no such thing as male fridging, really. Or rather, it is is not actually a pervasive or frequent problem. It is that pervasiveness that caused Gail Simome to generate the term.

Because female side characters or more importantly love interests are more common than male ones.I agree it happens to women more(because of said reason) and I'm glad it's being worked on.

Men suffer from homlessness and have a much higher suicide rate than women, so should we only focus on Men in those scenarios?Also I've already shown multiple A and some B lister in comics who were r*ped and it's never addressed, much more than women in comics btw.

And we're talking about women who are either superheros and partake in said (illegal)violence or are targets because of their affiliations w/ such people.There's a lot bigger reasons to the death's of someone like Kayla and Gwen and even May in the ps4 game than them being women.
    Last edited by Spiderfan001; 10-16-2021 at 02:24 PM.

Extraordinary Member

If anyone has played the No More Heroes games. Bishop is a very deliberate fridging that seems to be making fun of the trope. Travis' whole motivation is avenging this minor character who he had no interaction with in either game and it's supposed to seem ridiculous to the player that the big bad would target Bishop or that Travis would get so emotional about it.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Kitty&Piotr<3 View Post

Yeah, people will bring up "what about men?" but male characters have gotten a better deal in comics as long as they've been around

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by CosmiComic View Post
    Yeah, people will bring up "what about men?" but male characters have gotten a better deal in comics as long as they've been around
    Because they have been a lot more main male characters in the past as compared to female main characters.Main characters will obviously get a better deal than side characters ....

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by CosmiComic View Post
    Exactly.
    10char