Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456
    Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by lordozone View Post
    I just read Avengers #49 as well as X-force and I was a bit embarrassed.

First of all: I'm not a fan of Putin's Russia at all, but being European, knowing a minimum of the complexity of Russian politics and the way the opponents fight inside the country, I have the impression that Marvel treats the Russian situation in its comics in a totally caricatured way, a kind of evil empire a la star wars, even more than in the cold war.

Already, they show Russia as a dictatorship in the Star Wars style, without nuance. Russia is not a dictatorship, it is an Authoritarian democracy (the distinction is slim but important). There is a fragile freedom of speech, an opposition (which is often locked up and even killed sometimes, yes, but which can speak freely in some private newspapers). Moreover Russia, although still having a strong geo-strategic power in certain regions, and an important military force, is not economically what it was.

Marvel wants to talk about a geo-strategic, totalitarian adversary of the west, democracy or human rights with a real economic strength? Let them talk about China. But since they still have movies to sell them, it's not going to happen anytime soon...
    Yeah, that didn't aged well...
    I try to improve my english, feel free to correct me by DM if you see some mistakes !

Quote Originally Posted by The Invincible Beawulf View Post
    This. In Avengers, Aaron basically writes them as bloodthirsty USSR soldiers or whatever... I'm not complaining since it's just Aaron

And also this.

With the exception of Red Widow, every member of the Winter Guard emphasizes they wanna do good for the Russian people. They are suspecting that the WG are just puppets of the Russian government/president -- also, Yelena Belova & Alexi Shostakov wanna reveal some dirty secrets of the government to finally open up the eyes of the team.
    I read the winter guard series, and left feeling confused. I don’t know much about Yelena or red guardians motives, or why characters like chernabog were even on the team.

The whole world hates Russia. Marvel should bring on the Russian bad guys.