All-New Member

Default trying to track down story of WW II female agents, possibly in Marvel c1970-74.

I have looked through most of the main stream military comics that I can think of: Our Fighting Forces, Our Army at War, star spangled war stories, GI combat, Sgt Fury, All American men of War, Capt storm and weird war stories. Looking back from about 1975 to mid 60s. Nothing.

This is probably a one off story about a group of all females in the pacific (or at least in the ocean). THe opening panel shows the main lady dancing on stage in a red dress and she's opening up a gas cannister on the soldiers in the audience I guess they are Japanese or German. She and her comrades don gas masks and exit quickly. Then they meet a US soldier with dark looks . I guess they rescued him. Then they attack and strafe a small boat. Maybe Japanese boat.

that's about all I can remember. But they made an impression on the my prepubescent mind and I'd like to see why. I dont think they were any later than 1975 at the most, if that. Most likely between 1970-74.

Probably one of those large 100 page specials, I think they were one of those stories they stick near the end of the issue. My neighbors read mainly mainstream comics so I dont think its some underground issue. Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by captainstorm View Post
    I have looked through most of the main stream military comics that I can think of: Our Fighting Forces, Our Army at War, star spangled war stories, GI combat, Sgt Fury, All American men of War, Capt storm and weird war stories. Looking back from about 1975 to mid 60s. Nothing.

This is probably a one off story about a group of all females in the pacific (or at least in the ocean). THe opening panel shows the main lady dancing on stage in a red dress and she's opening up a gas cannister on the soldiers in the audience I guess they are Japanese or German. She and her comrades don gas masks and exit quickly. Then they meet a US soldier with dark looks . I guess they rescued him. Then they attack and strafe a small boat. Maybe Japanese boat.

that's about all I can remember. But they made an impression on the my prepubescent mind and I'd like to see why. I dont think they were any later than 1975 at the most, if that. Most likely between 1970-74.

Probably one of those large 100 page specials, I think they were one of those stories they stick near the end of the issue. My neighbors read mainly mainstream comics so I dont think its some underground issue. Thanks.
    First off, where (country-wise) did you read this?
    For the U.S., "100 page specials" tends to mean DC comics and their 100 Page Super Spectacular line which normally consisted of reprinted material before 1974. In 1974, there were a couple of issues of Our Army at War that did include some new material as well as reprinted stories.

All-New Member

Hello. I am in the USA. Thank you for your help. I just don't know if it was Marvel or DC. I think Marvel and DC were the only publishers of mainstream war comics at that pt.

Latverian ambassador Iron Maiden's Avatar

I doubt it was Marvel. They didn't have 100 page specials into many years later and even that was a one time only thing for certain comics like Fantastic Four. This was for the month of June in 2002

Invincible Member

Yeah, Marvel's big war comics were Sgt Fury and Capt Savage, although I remember them trying to do a Dirty Dozen rip-off called Combat Kelly and the Deadly Dozen. And at some point in the mid-70's most of them were cancelled and Sgt Fury became a reprint book.

If it was truly a "100 page special" it was probably DC, they were titling a lot of their comics that way. Marvel was calling their thick books either "Giant Size" or "King Sized Annual".

Plus, I kind of feel like if Marvel tried to do a female commandos type of book, someone would have tried to bring revive them at some point if for no other reason than to preserve the trademark.

Having said that, Charlton was still doing comics in the mid-70's. I'm not as familiar with their war titles though...

The only all female commandos i know from Marvel was the Banshee Squadron https://marvel.fandom.com/wiki/Bansh...on_(Earth-616) but the time period is wrong.

All-New Member

I've looked at all the Combat Kelly issues and they're not there. Although they do have a few more empowered females there.

I think I've seen all the Mlle. Marie issues. She does use poison gas in one of her early appearances in 1959. she uses gas from her belt to neutralize a German officer who has her captive. She's standing two feet away from the spray but it apparently has no effect on her. I will probably look at the rest of the early 60s mainstream mags just on the off chance there's some South Sea version of Mlle. Marie.

Charlton may be the one Im looking for. However I do not think their old issues are online. Damn.

thanks for all the input. You'd think this girl team would have made an impression on someone at some pt.

Quote Originally Posted by captainstorm View Post
    . . . Charlton may be the one Im looking for. However I do not think their old issues are online. Damn.
    Don't know if Charlton ever had any comic books close to that 100-page size you mentioned, either.

Don't even know if they ever had anything resembling a "Giant-Size" issue for their war books.

Was it that comic from the '40's when Cap and Bucky dressed as women?

All-New Member

I shouldnt have said 100 page, I merely meant to say it was one of those anthology type magazines where there are more than one story.

Bucky didnt look like the guy they had on the ship. So I dont think it was Bucky unless it was one of those later makeovers they gave him when the character was revisited.