Default Aquaman: King of Atlantis animated miniseries on HBOmax

The new #Aquaman animated miniseries #KingofAtlantis just dropped on HBOmax.

Some thoughts (spoiler-FREE) on the first episode:

1. The show loosely takes place in the DCEU continuity of the 2018 Aquaman movie.

Like, it starts literally the very next day after the movie concluded.

2. The show is a comedy, full-stop.

Think equal parts Teen Titans Go, Thundercats Roar, early Steven Universe, Star vs the Forces Of Evil, and a dash of Looney Tunes.

3. The animation style is very fluid and hyper-cartoony.

It's that controversial CalArts animation style (aka thin-line animation) that people either love, hate, or just accept. I just accept.

4. Arthur's new look is interesting.

I get that blonde hair / beard over an orange shirt is not the most visually distinct to begin with, but their orange tones are so golden here that I weirdly don't mind the switch to green for Arthur's hair ... tho I wish they had kept the long hair look instead of his "outrageous" Brave and the Bold hairdo. The gold boots aren't bad either.

5. I actually dug Arthur's persona here.

It's basically a more talky and goofy version of Jason Momoa's Aquabro take ... seems like a fun hang.

6. Mera sounds great, looks weird.

Which is weird because Aquaman's look changed more than hers did, but the way her face is drawn here (so wildly expressive) can get suddenly off-putting.

7. Once you accept that this is a comedy and nothing more, the humor is surprisingly appropriate.

Like, there's a clear Marvel joke if you're paying attention.

8. I don't recognize the main villain of this episode.

But then again, Aquaman only has two existing enemies of any merit (Black Manta and Ocean Master) in the comics and then a STEEP drop-off in his rogues gallery.

9. The various fishfolk are definitely going to remind you of SpongeBob SquarePants.

That has to be deliberate.

10. The end of the episode is actually intriguing.

Can't say anything more yet.

Bottom line: Against all odds, I'm interested. It's a show that seemingly does not take itself seriously at all. I'll be back to check out the second episode.

AQ:KOA episode 1 grade: 7/10.

Spectacular Member

Sounds interesting I'll probably give it a watch. How long are the episodes?

Quote Originally Posted by daBronzeBomma View Post
    The new #Aquaman animated miniseries #KingofAtlantis just dropped on HBOmax.

Some thoughts (spoiler-FREE) on the first episode:

1. The show loosely takes place in the DCEU continuity of the 2018 Aquaman movie.

Like, it starts literally the very next day after the movie concluded.

2. The show is a comedy, full-stop.

Think equal parts Teen Titans Go, Thundercats Roar, early Steven Universe, Star vs the Forces Of Evil, and a dash of Looney Tunes.

3. The animation style is very fluid and hyper-cartoony.

It's that controversial CalArts animation style (aka thin-line animation) that people either love, hate, or just accept. I just accept.

4. Arthur's new look is interesting.

I get that blonde hair / beard over an orange shirt is not the most visually distinct to begin with, but their orange tones are so golden here that I weirdly don't mind the switch to green for Arthur's hair ... tho I wish they had kept the long hair look instead of his "outrageous" Brave and the Bold hairdo. The gold boots aren't bad either.

5. I actually dug Arthur's persona here.

It's basically a more talky and goofy version of Jason Momoa's Aquabro take ... seems like a fun hang.

6. Mera sounds great, looks weird.

Which is weird because Aquaman's look changed more than hers did, but the way her face is drawn here (so wildly expressive) can get suddenly off-putting.

7. Once you accept that this is a comedy and nothing more, the humor is surprisingly appropriate.

Like, there's a clear Marvel joke if you're paying attention.

8. I don't recognize the main villain of this episode.

But then again, Aquaman only has two existing enemies of any merit (Black Manta and Ocean Master) in the comics and then a STEEP drop-off in his rogues gallery.

9. The various fishfolk are definitely going to remind you of SpongeBob SquarePants.

That has to be deliberate.

10. The end of the episode is actually intriguing.

Can't say anything more yet.

Bottom line: Against all odds, I'm interested. It's a show that seemingly does not take itself seriously at all. I'll be back to check out the second episode.

AQ:KOA episode 1 grade: 7/10.
    The best thing thing in my opinion that it was very AquaMera front and centre, as they should always be and I not referring to romantic stuff, but what they do best, kick ass.

That said Mera is more dangerous in this animation than Ocean Master, she could start a war with anyone for no reason, she is a warmonger of the highest level

I liked it although it is very childish, but also gives me regrets, Aquaman and Mera deserve much more stuff than just 3 episodes, a comics for a start.

Quote Originally Posted by Lightning63 View Post
    Sounds interesting I'll probably give it a watch. How long are the episodes?
    45 minutes, no commercials.

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by daBronzeBomma View Post
    45 minutes, no commercials.
    That feels very long for the type of show this is. Is it episodic or a serialised show?

This show is very charming. Arthur and Mera have a fun dynamic and the voice acting is great. The comedy is amusing too, there’s even a joke referencing Namor.

Not my ideal Aquaman animation, but it was fun for what it was .

Thoughts on episode 2 of #AquamanKingOfAtlantis (spoilers follow) ...
    1. Hanging around long enough to watch the second episode of AQ:KOA, I actually got used to the thin-line animation style of the show.

My eyes adjusted quickly this ep, like a few minutes after stepping into a much brighter/dimmer room.

2. Someone else mentioned it first, but if I had to describe this King of Atlantis show, I'd say this is Aquaman by way of #Superjail but aimed squarely at 7-10 year olds (and possibly their geeky parents).

Superjail, btw, was an absolutely mental adult cartoon a dozen years ago or so. Worth checking out on YouTube, but definitely NOT for kids!

3. I'm kinda ... digging the green hair and beard on Arthur?

It's starting to look like a cool compromise between the classic blonde and Jason Momoa's brown. It's a surprisingly good contrast to his orange shirt. Also reminds me of seaweed ... which is thematically appropriate

4. Aquaman's blonde hair used to play a big role in his old origin.

It used to be he was abandoned on Mercy Reef by his Atlantean parents because blonde hair was a sign of evil, only to be rescued and adopted by a pack of dolphins before finding Tom Curry at his lighthouse in his teens.

I infinitely prefer the movie's new and IMO improved origin.

5. Arthur reminiscing about his parents in this episode makes me hope we get to see Tom Curry and Atlanna in episode 3.

I wonder what their animated versions would look like here?

6. Mera and Arthur's romantic relationship is still intact, but almost submerged in favor of them being teammates.

Wouldn't want that for the more main canon versions, but it works here.

7. Ocean Master is a complete joke here.

He's 100% slapstick and not much of a threat at all.

8. The Fisherman is an actual Aquaman rogue.

Offhand, no idea if this zany version has any connection to the comix version, but had a suitable air of mystery.

9. Primordious, and the journey to it, was kinda good.

This feels like the exact type of situation that Aquaman can handle better than any other hero.

10. Not sure why the passage of time is so wobbly in this show.

Twice in two episodes that topic came up, with no real explanation.

Bottom line: not as impactful as the first episode, but the character work and humor got better here. Still intrigued enough to see this show through to its third and final episode next week.

AQ:KOA ep 2 grade: 7/10.

Thoughts on #AquamanKingOfAtlantis episode 3 (spoilers follow)
    1. I feel like I'm the only person watching this.

Speaks more to the lack of marketing and promotion this project got than the initially off-putting animation style. Don't think I saw one ad for this show prior to Episode 1 debuting.

2. We got Scavenger.

So, turns out Scavenger, like the Fisherman in Episode 2, is a bona fide Aquaman villain from the comix. No idea how much they changed from the source material, but Scavenger here is kinda like the Destroyer from Marvel's Thor.

3. I didn't see that villainous twist coming.

Prior to the Scavenger debut, Pyotr Mortikov (the villain from Episode 1), was revealed to be a cyborg ... specifically a cyborg whose head could detach with robotic spider-legs coming out of it. Seeing him scurry around to get into the Scavenger suit was a really creepy visual.

Also very much reminded me of Krang from Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles.

4. Vulko was much better used here.

He talked enough that I finally heard Thomas Lennon (great on Reno 911)'s distinct voice-work come thru. Vulko was kinda a sidekick cross between Alfred Pennyworth and Jimmy Olsen.

5. Mera is clearly more powerful and more capable than Aquaman.

Her powers are like a Green Lantern's ring, only with hard water instead of solid light. And while Mera (voiced by Gillian Jacobs, aka Britta from Community) has no desire to rule Atlantis herself, but she's considerably both more knowledgeable and more formidable than Aquaman.

6. This is a very relatable Aquaman.

This Arthur Curry isn't particularly bright, or especially noble, but he is determined. Kinda reminded me a little bit of DragonBall's Goku, especially with the eating of food. He messes up in new ways, but learns from them, and wants to do a good job.

Cooper Andrews (The Walking Dead) took a little of Jason Momoa's Aquabro persona and filled him with reasonable insecurity.

7. Ocean Master pulled a Darth Vader.

Surprised he flipped over to the good side at the critical moment, even more so when later he mentioned their mom as they hugged. Most surprised he didn't get de-aged back to his prime at the end.

8. Aquaman literally saving the world was kinda impressive.

Arthur realizing his best superpower was figuratively and literally bringing things together works in the moment when he vanquishes the Scavenger.

9. There were others from the Aquaverse canon briefly present.

Toppo the octopus is always welcome, the Fire Trolls were from the comix, and the Mirror Men might be a callback to the 1960s Aquaman cartoon.

10. Will there be a second season of King of Atlantis?

There was a lot that could have been covered that wasn't here: no Black Manta, no Aqualad of any kind (no Garth nor Kalder'ahm), no Dolphin, no Tom Curry, no Queen Atlanna, no Doctor Shin, no Trench. I get they probably have to not step on the DCEU movie franchise's toes, but there's definitely enough new material to run it back next year before the sequel hits.

Bottom line: I would up liking this show. It was different from any superhero offering out there.

I think instead of three weekly 45-minute episodes, KOA could have cut up into twelve 11-minute shorts and served on Cartoon Network where expectations would have been better adjusted and the show would have better promoted.

AQ: KOA Episode 3 "Tidal Shift" grade: 7/10
    AQ: KOA Animated Trilogy grade: 7/10