Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    BANNED

It was fine. We're a little starved for content in the TV/movie department after the lapse in production because of Covid, things got delayed or canceled, and anything at all that might be of interest is going to get more attention. I wouldn't tell a friend they need to see it, but if they have 8-9 hours to kill over time it's not a waste of time.

Quote Originally Posted by useridgoeshere View Post
    I got your joke and thought it was quite clever. Unfortunately, most people don't but I say keep trying because the serious replies from people who didn't get it are amusing in an entirely different way.
    A person of culture and taste
    This Post Contains No Artificial Intelligence. It Contains No Human Intelligence Either.

Extraordinary Member Captain Craig's Avatar

I was listening to the local sports talk on the drive in and they dovetailed into entertainment. One host mentioned Squid Game but due to other interests it would be down on his list of things to get around to.
    The other host said, "I liked it but if you've seen Running Man, I can use that reference cause I know how old you are *wink, *wink*, and the Hunger Games then you already know the beats to Squid Game".
    "Freedom is the right of all sentient beings" - Optimus Prime

Quote Originally Posted by Kirby101 View Post
    So the ones who think it is overhyped haven't seen it?
    Can't speak for those people, but I saw it's trailer. Just not my cup of tea.

Squid Game's a good show that deserves the hype. It's not the greatest show I've ever seen, but it's worthy of its popularity.....It had a few predictable elements, but, overall, was well-written and quite enjoyable, from its characters, to its setting, visuals, and events.

Quote Originally Posted by Kirby101 View Post
    So the ones who think it is overhyped haven't seen it?
    That and the few who didn't like it, that DID see it, seem to think a show can only be good if it's 100% original. Borrow any elements from previous films/shows and it needs to be panned.....And these are comic book fans talking. Fans of a medium where the majority of its most popular characters borrow heavily from previous source material. Spider-Man=The Fly, Incredible Hulk=Dr Jekyll & Mr Hyde, and so on.

I could make similar critiques about almost any show. I mean, look at Game of Thrones. It's essentially Dune meets Dragonlance. Martin practically ripped off a bunch of elements from Herbert, be it The Iron Throne (The Lion Throne), The Faceless Men (The Facedancers), the prescient abilities of Bran (The prescient abilities of Paul), The Iron Bank (CHOAM).....I could go on all day. As for the select few Dragonlance similarities, dragons being a thing of the past that many now see as a myth, and the whole dragonriding thing.

And how about The Sopranos? Oh, so it's basically Analyze This combined with elements of various mafia movies? Oh, whoopee.

Stranger Things? Oh, that show which is essentially a combination of The Goonies, ET, and Firestarter. What originality! How could this have ever become a popular series?

The Walking Dead? As if the whole zombie trope is anything new, then add some post-apocalyptic elements into the mix and a bunch of surprise deaths. Not entirely original, if you ask me.

To those shitting on Squid Game due to lack of originality, I'd love to see your top 5 TV shows & movies so I can nitpick at how original they are.

[QUOTE=Ramsay Snow;5783691]Squid Game's a good show that deserves the hype. It's not the greatest show I've ever seen, but it's worthy of its popularity.....It had a few predictable elements, but, overall, was well-written and quite enjoyable, from its characters, to its setting, visuals, and events.

That and the few who didn't like it, that DID see it, seem to think a show can only be good if it's 100% original. Borrow any elements from previous films/shows and it needs to be panned.....And these are comic book fans talking. Fans of a medium where the majority of its most popular characters borrow heavily from previous source material. Spider-Man=The Fly, Incredible Hulk=Dr Jekyll & Mr Hyde, and so on.

I could make similar critiques about almost any show. I mean, look at Game of Thrones. It's essentially Dune meets Dragonlance. Martin practically ripped off a bunch of elements from Herbert, be it The Iron Throne (The Lion Throne), The Faceless Men (The Facedancers), the prescient abilities of Bran (The prescient abilities of Paul), The Iron Bank (CHOAM).....I could go on all day. As for the select few Dragonlance similarities, dragons being a thing of the past that many now see as a myth, and the whole dragonriding thing.

And how about The Sopranos? Oh, so it's basically Analyze This combined with elements of various mafia movies? Oh, whoopee.

Stranger Things? Oh, that show which is essentially a combination of The Goonies, ET, and Firestarter. What originality! How could this have ever become a popular series?

The Walking Dead? As if the whole zombie trope is anything new, then add some post-apocalyptic elements into the mix and a bunch of surprise deaths. Not entirely original, if you ask me.

To those shitting on Squid Game due to lack of originality, I'd love to see your top 5 TV shows & movies so I can nitpick at how original they are.[/QUOTE]

I really love The Voice. Good luck finding other shows like that!
    This Post Contains No Artificial Intelligence. It Contains No Human Intelligence Either.

Put a smile on that face Immortal Weapon's Avatar

I just watching it and I thought it was worth it's hype. I'm a simple man, I don't need something to be ground breaking to highly praise a show. It does what it does extremely well and for someone who's seen quite a few battle royales elements of it were quite refreshing (like the players willing taking part in the death games).

Quote Originally Posted by babyblob View Post
    I know. It was a joke. See because it has Squid in the title. Sometimes I think I am too clever for this world
    So I'm a moron.
    There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!

Quote Originally Posted by babyblob View Post
    I really love The Voice. Good luck finding other shows like that!

You've completely stumped me, as I can't think of a single show which bears any sorts of similarity to the groundbreaking show called The Voice.

Also, you have impeccable taste!

Astonishing Member chamber-music's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Zauriel View Post
    Squid Game reminds me a little of some Japanese shows called Alice in Borderland, Battle Royale or Btooom, both of which are based on manga.

I have enjoyed the Squid Game a bit. I don't think it's overhyped.
    It does seem similar to those other shows and movies.

I shut it off partway thru ep 1, thinking the main character was too much of a selfish a-hole for me to root for him as a protagonist.

Then after the hype began, i gave it another shot, this time making it about halfway thru the 2nd episode before giving up again. I'll probably give it another try but if i'm not into it by the end of ep 3 I'll probably but it on the back burner for now. Especially if it turns out that the season ends on a cliffhanger, but i don't know whether that is the case or not.

So yeah, i'll agree that it is overhyped.

Incredible Member

Saturday Night Live just did a parody skit on it so you know it's overhyped and after that overstayed t's welcome. Last year it was Tiger King mania and now nobody is talking about that now.

Put a smile on that face Immortal Weapon's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mace Dolex View Post
    Saturday Night Live just did a parody skit on it so you know it's overhyped and after that overstayed t's welcome. Last year it was Tiger King mania and now nobody is talking about that now.
    Tiger King is documentary series where its lead is serving a federal sentence. There's not a lot to mine there.

Squid Game being a scripted drama can be continued and has some distinct iconography to make it stay in popular culture.

Aside from the fellow forumers Username taken and chamber-music, is anyone here also watching Alice in Borderland live action? I actually haven't watched it yet but I did read the manga. It was darn good up to a later point. Like Squid Game, it was a "play or die" situation. A game of death. A survival game.