Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    All-New Member

Default is it just me but squid game over hyped?

Just done with Squid game.... I dont understand the super hype around it.... Its been seen before and done better than squid game IMO.
    Its VERY predictible, *Spoiler alert* But the old man I already knew almost right away was... well the man. and the game keeper, was well the brother... I do admit there was a few episodes, that i really liked - But mostly mediocre charactre building, mediocre dialog and in general not that interessting.

The acting was in a few of them really good, and some was at best B actors.

But can someone enlighted me? I must admit I have been a movie critic for many years and maybe im just getting old... but something is lost in translation for me... cos I dont understand why so many find is so good...

But I do like to hear why people like it so much...

Kindest regards :-)

No it wasn't overhyped. It's a cool show, but the buzz is about how immensely popular it was worldwide.
    There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!

Extraordinary Member Captain Craig's Avatar

As of now I'm not bothering with it at all.
    "Freedom is the right of all sentient beings" - Optimus Prime

three-time juror The Gold Stream's Avatar

maybe netflix has a low bar

To be honest I had my fill of these reality fishing shows with Deadliest catch
    This Post Contains No Artificial Intelligence. It Contains No Human Intelligence Either.

It is overhyped and not really interested in watching the show.

Quote Originally Posted by babyblob View Post
    To be honest I had my fill of these reality fishing shows with Deadliest catch
    It's not a reality show.
    There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Skeleton View Post
    It is overhyped and not really interested in watching the show.
    So the ones who think it is overhyped haven't seen it?

Quote Originally Posted by Kirby101 View Post
    It's not a reality show.
    I know. It was a joke. See because it has Squid in the title. Sometimes I think I am too clever for this world
    This Post Contains No Artificial Intelligence. It Contains No Human Intelligence Either.

Squid Game reminds me a little of some Japanese shows called Alice in Borderland, Battle Royale or Btooom, both of which are based on manga.

I have enjoyed the Squid Game a bit. I don't think it's overhyped.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Zauriel View Post
    Squid Game reminds me a little of some Japanese shows called Alice in Borderland, Battle Royale or Btooom, both of which are based on manga.

I have enjoyed the Squid Game a bit. I don't think it's overhyped.
    Basically this.

It’s actually quite similar to those series.

Big difference in Squid Game is that the folks that participate in the death games 100% choose to do so. The participants can actually leave and come back.

Quote Originally Posted by Kirby101 View Post
    So the ones who think it is overhyped haven't seen it?
    The most fervent haters of something often haven't even bother to watch/read/listen to the thing they enjoy so much to talk **** about i have noticed.

Amazing Member

I liked it a lot. Really well done. Except for some predictable and, IMO, unnecessary plot elements, its a very solid show.

With that being said, it's become incredibly overhyped. I watched it before it blew up on the mainstream so I could enjoy it for what it is. Now I can imagine someone wants to see what fuss is all about and is gonna be disapointed. There's nothing really groundbreaking or something that we haven't seen before in other shows or movies.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by TheSuperMule View Post
    I liked it a lot. Really well done. Except for some predictable and, IMO, unnecessary plot elements, its a very solid show.

With that being said, it's become incredibly overhyped. I watched it before it blew up on the mainstream so I could enjoy it for what it is. Now I can imagine someone wants to see what fuss is all about and is gonna be disapointed. There's nothing really groundbreaking or something that we haven't seen before in other shows or movies.
    Very true.

Because of algorithm driven media, stuff regarding the series is everywhere. Even where it doesn’t really make sense.

Squid Game is good but there’s nothing particularly ground breaking about it. People coming in now to watch it because of the hype will be a little disappointed.

Almost everything in the series is stuff we’ve seen elsewhere.

Astonishing Member useridgoeshere's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by babyblob View Post
    I know. It was a joke. See because it has Squid in the title. Sometimes I think I am too clever for this world
    I got your joke and thought it was quite clever. Unfortunately, most people don't but I say keep trying because the serious replies from people who didn't get it are amusing in an entirely different way.