Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    All-New Member

Default Chthon should Replace Mephisto as the Big Evil.

He is older, stronger and a multitude more frightening.

Mephisto is a fairy tale devil that feels silly and overdone. Chthon is feels more like a genuine threat. Have the god eater devour Mephisto's red butt and Bring Chthon to prominence.

A cheerful wheeling and dealing devil is nothing compared to a chaotic and corrupting elder god.

In conclusion tentacles are cool.

Formerly Assassin Spider Huntsman Spider's Avatar

Considering the Darkhold event that just started . . . you might get your wish.
    The spider is always on the hunt.

Jason Aaron is building up to some kind of a Mephisto event in his Avengers titles.
    There is a Council of Mephistos gathering from across the Multiverse and Mephisto-616 has a Time Stone that allows him to travel between 1,000,000 BC and the present day, influencing the Avengers.
    I believe that it will all culminate in an Avengers event sometime in Summer 2023. Aaron foreshadowed a 'War Beyond Whens' in his early Avengers issues that has not happened yet.

After that event, I think Mephisto's prominence in Marvel comics will be reduced.

I think Chthon should be used sparingly.

Mephisto can pop up whenever. He's always influencing Marvel on some level. Chthon on the other hand is an order fo magnitude greater than Mephisto.

If Chthon's pinky finger entered the Marvel Earth it's game over. He's appeared before but always as an avatar or a partial version of himself. If he pops up too much it potentially lessens and cheapens the character. His influence is already felt throughout the MCU as the creator of the Darkhold which lead to vampires and werewolves and an assortment of spells that became common place for many modern magic users.

It's one thing to Have Mephisto or Thanos or Galactus or Doctor Doom as an Endgame threat, but Chthon would dismiss them all with a wave of his hand. You want to keep him locked away and use him every few years.
    The J-man

I don't see them as being in competition. Chthon is more of a Cthuluesque figure, a horror that might sweep away humanity while barely noticing them. Mephisto is about cunning and manipulation. They fill very different roles and one doesn't need to replace the other.

Cosmic Curmudgeon JudicatorPrime's Avatar

You can never have enough princes of darkness running around. What I would like them to avoid, however, is any type of pecking order that places one over the other in the Marvel Universe. I also would like Marvel to emphasize the distinctions between the two. Same goes for Elder Gods like Set. Each should represent different forms and magnitudes of evil, even if at a casual glance it all looks the same.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by MichaelC View Post
    I don't see them as being in competition. Chthon is more of a Cthuluesque figure, a horror that might sweep away humanity while barely noticing them. Mephisto is about cunning and manipulation. They fill very different roles and one doesn't need to replace the other.
    Chthon actually cares about humanity, or say curious about them.
    Despite having Lovecraftian elements, he is Earthborn like his siblings and he has this entitlement to his home which makes him less alien than say Shuma-Gorath.

But yeah, Chthon is more of a scholar of dark secrets while Mephisto is the great deceiver.