All-New Member

Default Chthon should Replace Mephisto as the Big Evil.

He is older, stronger and a multitude more frightening.

Mephisto is a fairy tale devil that feels silly and overdone. Chthon is feels more like a genuine threat. Have the god eater devour Mephisto's red butt and Bring Chthon to prominence.

A cheerful wheeling and dealing devil is nothing compared to a chaotic and corrupting elder god.

In conclusion tentacles are cool.

Formerly Assassin Spider Huntsman Spider's Avatar

Considering the Darkhold event that just started . . . you might get your wish.
    The spider is always on the hunt.

Jason Aaron is building up to some kind of a Mephisto event in his Avengers titles.
    There is a Council of Mephistos gathering from across the Multiverse and Mephisto-616 has a Time Stone that allows him to travel between 1,000,000 BC and the present day, influencing the Avengers.
    I believe that it will all culminate in an Avengers event sometime in Summer 2023. Aaron foreshadowed a 'War Beyond Whens' in his early Avengers issues that has not happened yet.

After that event, I think Mephisto's prominence in Marvel comics will be reduced.

I think Chthon should be used sparingly.

Mephisto can pop up whenever. He's always influencing Marvel on some level. Chthon on the other hand is an order fo magnitude greater than Mephisto.

If Chthon's pinky finger entered the Marvel Earth it's game over. He's appeared before but always as an avatar or a partial version of himself. If he pops up too much it potentially lessens and cheapens the character. His influence is already felt throughout the MCU as the creator of the Darkhold which lead to vampires and werewolves and an assortment of spells that became common place for many modern magic users.

It's one thing to Have Mephisto or Thanos or Galactus or Doctor Doom as an Endgame threat, but Chthon would dismiss them all with a wave of his hand. You want to keep him locked away and use him every few years.
    The J-man

I don't see them as being in competition. Chthon is more of a Cthuluesque figure, a horror that might sweep away humanity while barely noticing them. Mephisto is about cunning and manipulation. They fill very different roles and one doesn't need to replace the other.

Cosmic Curmudgeon JudicatorPrime's Avatar

You can never have enough princes of darkness running around. What I would like them to avoid, however, is any type of pecking order that places one over the other in the Marvel Universe. I also would like Marvel to emphasize the distinctions between the two. Same goes for Elder Gods like Set. Each should represent different forms and magnitudes of evil, even if at a casual glance it all looks the same.

Extraordinary Member

They are different characters by nature.
    Mephisto is the trickster devil while Chthon is more of the dread father type.

Also Jason Aaron makes everyone lame lol. Khonshu is a new god whose old nemesis is Seth, but Aaron somehow think it's good idea to pair Set with him and buff Khonshu in a simping spree.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by MichaelC View Post
    I don't see them as being in competition. Chthon is more of a Cthuluesque figure, a horror that might sweep away humanity while barely noticing them. Mephisto is about cunning and manipulation. They fill very different roles and one doesn't need to replace the other.
    Chthon actually cares about humanity, or say curious about them.
    Despite having Lovecraftian elements, he is Earthborn like his siblings and he has this entitlement to his home which makes him less alien than say Shuma-Gorath.

But yeah, Chthon is more of a scholar of dark secrets while Mephisto is the great deceiver.

Ultimate Member

As long as Chthon remains locked up beneath Wundagore, he's narratively limited, while entities that can roam free like Mephisto or Hela or Nightmare or D'Spayre are more generally 'useful.' (Shuma-Gorath, Set and Dormammu are similarly usually limited in their ability to show up on Earth and plague our heroes, and it's generally a big event-type dealio when they do try to bust in and mess with our stuff.)

I'd prefer Chthon remain in that big 'break in case of emergency' status, and not downgraded to the level of something like Mephisto, that can get snuffed by Franklin Richards having a tantrum.

Quote Originally Posted by Littleredhat View Post
    In conclusion tentacles are cool.
    So no one else is talking about this? I guess the joke's too obvious .

Quote Originally Posted by alanyoung909 View Post
    Jason Aaron is building up to some kind of a Mephisto event in his Avengers titles.
    There is a Council of Mephistos gathering from across the Multiverse and Mephisto-616 has a Time Stone that allows him to travel between 1,000,000 BC and the present day, influencing the Avengers.
    I believe that it will all culminate in an Avengers event sometime in Summer 2023. Aaron foreshadowed a 'War Beyond Whens' in his early Avengers issues that has not happened yet.

After that event, I think Mephisto's prominence in Marvel comics will be reduced.
    There's a council of Mephistos? Man, what have I been missing... I get the feeling I should be glad.

Quote Originally Posted by JudicatorPrime View Post
    You can never have enough princes of darkness running around. What I would like them to avoid, however, is any type of pecking order that places one over the other in the Marvel Universe. I also would like Marvel to emphasize the distinctions between the two. Same goes for Elder Gods like Set. Each should represent different forms and magnitudes of evil, even if at a casual glance it all looks the same.
    I agree...they should cover different facets of lurking evil....andnthey should not be EASY to dispose...somemof the better stories of doctor strange always ended with him admitting that is an endless fight against these eldritch unnatural horrors as there is not way to erase them form reality..they always come back as long as nightmares, chaos, death and capacity of choosing between good or evil exist...

Astonishing Member Drops Of Venus's Avatar

Mephisto is just more popular. And the fact that he is seen as ''The Devil'', as opposed to just ''a devil'', within the Marvel Universe probably helps with that. It's easier to pick him as your bad guy because he is more ''universally evil''. Chthon is the kinda guy you go to when you want to tell specific mystic stories, but Mephisto crossed that line and became a big bad for everything ever since One More Day, because if the guy can break up one of Marvel's most iconic couples, there's nothing he can't do. There's a reason why writers keep wanting to replicate that specific story every now and then (Jim Zub on Champions, Mark Waid on Doctor Strange).

I don't really have an issue with that. If Chthon started being overused the way Mephisto is, then I bet people would be tired of Chthon instead and asking for some other villain to get the spotlight.

Mephisto is a joke anymore. Any character can be popular. Given enough time, creative push and visible platform. The MCU proved that.
    Love is for souls, not bodies.

This thread is mildly insulting to Chthon.

Why is he being dragged down to Mephisto's level?

This is like comparing Lonzo Ball and Michael Jordan, Mark Cuban and Jeff Bezos, William Wallace to Ghengis Khan.
    The J-man

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by alanyoung909 View Post

Quote Originally Posted by Jabare View Post
    I think Chthon should be used sparingly.

Mephisto can pop up whenever. He's always influencing Marvel on some level. Chthon on the other hand is an order fo magnitude greater than Mephisto.

If Chthon's pinky finger entered the Marvel Earth it's game over. He's appeared before but always as an avatar or a partial version of himself. If he pops up too much it potentially lessens and cheapens the character. His influence is already felt throughout the MCU as the creator of the Darkhold which lead to vampires and werewolves and an assortment of spells that became common place for many modern magic users.

It's one thing to Have Mephisto or Thanos or Galactus or Doctor Doom as an Endgame threat, but Chthon would dismiss them all with a wave of his hand. You want to keep him locked away and use him every few years.
    All this, Mephisto is going to get a big event(and be brought down by Spider-man or Mayday), then he'll go down.