Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast
    Astonishing Member mathew101281's Avatar

Default Has wolverine really become to powerful?

Or did writers merely start to depict him as he was originally created( a character who could challenge the Hulk and not die instantly)?

Astonishing Member Force de Phenix's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by mathew101281 View Post
    Or did writers merely start to depict him as he was originally created( a character who could challenge the Hulk and not die instantly)?
    The X-Books forum would probably know this better. He's an Omega Level Mutant in his power set, right? Is he stronger than Colossus/Rogue? His mutant power included super strength? When was the last time he lost a fight because he reached his max threshold of strength?

He would lose to the Hulk even if he would attempt to fight him now.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Force de Phenix View Post
    The X-Books forum would probably know this better. He's an Omega Level Mutant in his power set, right? Is he stronger than Colossus/Rogue? His mutant power included super strength? When was the last time he lost a fight because he reached his max threshold of strength?

He would lose to the Hulk even if he would attempt to fight him now.
    He's not omega level, he's nowhere near rogue or colossus in strength.His strength is Cap America level,maybe slightly more.

the reason he can fight such strong characters is his healing factor and admantium claws hax that can cut through almost anything.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Spiderfan001 View Post
    He's not omega level, he's nowhere near rogue or colossus in strength.His strength is Cap America level,maybe slightly more.

the reason he can fight such strong characters is his healing factor and admantium claws hax that can cut through almost anything.
    Add in the adamantium laced bones and he can take a hit that someone like Cap couldn't. The bones won't break..but there will be trauma...and the HF will deal with that trauma.

Incredible Member

Yeah, he's portrayed as being way more powerful than he should be. No super strength. Can't fly. Just an angry guy with some claws, adamantium bones, and a healing factor. This started when Jeff Loeb had him regrow himself from a single cell after Nitro blew him up. The most ridiculous thing I've ever seen. I'm Canadian, and love the character, but some of the stuff he does goes way beyond what he should be able to do. His brain would be mush after some of the hits he's taken. Healing factor or not, there's only so much he should be able to take.

Extraordinary Member Mike_Murdock's Avatar

I feel like his power creep was actually much earlier. The story that stands out is the Peter David Wolverine solo story where he jumps out of a plane and just takes machine gun fire from all the bad guys and keeps going. It used to be that, if he got shot, it would take him a couple hours to heal. Now it seems practically instantaneous. Healing from a single cell is a gimmick not likely to reoccur in many factual scenarios. But how he does in an every day fight can define his power class.
    Matt Murdock's cooler twin brother

I'd give the Devil benefit of law, for my own safety's sake!
    Thomas More - A Man for All Seasons

Interested in reading Daredevil? Not sure what to read next? Why not check out the Daredevil Book Club for some ideas?

Pretty much every character has received a massive power boost since their inception, but it becomes a problem when Wolverine receives one it seems.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike_Murdock View Post
    I feel like his power creep was actually much earlier. The story that stands out is the Peter David Wolverine solo story where he jumps out of a plane and just takes machine gun fire from all the bad guys and keeps going. It used to be that, if he got shot, it would take him a couple hours to heal. Now it seems practically instantaneous. Healing from a single cell is a gimmick not likely to reoccur in many factual scenarios. But how he does in an every day fight can define his power class.
    I actually think it happened earlier, when Claremont did something similar in issue #1 of Wolverine, with at least one member of a gang shooting him and him just wading through it.

Is less that he is too powerfull and more like he got a jobbing aura after a while. His powers definetly increased at some point, especially under Claremont who has him punching Rogue througth a wall and holding like six men with a hand and throw then hard enought to crack wood, but some writers just kind of took his first fight a tad to seriously. Especially because the point of that fight was less his strength and more about his speed, he was sort like a canadian Spider-Man back then, his claws couldn't even pierce Hulk's skin althought that was eventually retconed.
    "Wow. You made Spider-Man sad, congratulations. I stabbed The Hulk last week"
    Wolverine, Venom Annual # 1 (2018)
    Nobody does it better by Jeff Loveness

"I am Thou, Thou Art I"
    Persona

Astonishing Member mathew101281's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Panic View Post
    I actually think it happened earlier, when Claremont did something similar in issue #1 of Wolverine, with at least one member of a gang shooting him and him just wading through it.
    Is that much of a stretch though. Like I said Logan’s first appearance had him fighting the hulk. I’m pretty sure wading through gun fire should be nothing after that.

Is that much of a stretch though. Like I said Logan’s first appearance had him fighting the hulk. I’m pretty sure wading through gun fire should be nothing after that.
    Well, compared to how he had been portrayed in The X-Men and his own limited series, yeah. I think he took months to recover from the katana through the torso wound he got in the first Wolverine limited series.

I know, right?! Takes a lickin', and keeps on tickin'... ! (LOL)

Last edited by K7P5V; 10-08-2021 at 11:14 AM. Reason: Made Adjustments.

Extraordinary Member Zero Hunter's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Panic View Post
    Well, compared to how he had been portrayed in The X-Men and his own limited series, yeah. I think he took months to recover from the katana through the torso wound he got in the first Wolverine limited series.
    Yeah it used to be the more severe the wound the longer it took for him to heal. He would still heal very fast, but it was not like it is now where no matter how severe the wound he heals instantly. I hate "instant heal" Wolverine and think it has taken away a lot from how cool the character used to be. He used to have to use his brains when fighting, but now he can just jump in no matter how bad with no worries. You know no matter how bad the fight is he will be 100% within minutes. It frankly made the character kind of a joke. Bad writers kept upping it more and more until he did get to the "can regrow from a single cell" stage we are at now.

Wolverine has the greatest super power ever. The love of millions of fan boys all over the world. And over the years he has been written and adjusted to make him one of the most uber powerful, nothing can stop him, and be on every team in the Marvel universe kind of guy.

Quote Originally Posted by Zero Hunter View Post
    Yeah it used to be the more severe the wound the longer it took for him to heal. He would still heal very fast, but it was not like it is now where no matter how severe the wound he heals instantly. I hate "instant heal" Wolverine and think it has taken away a lot from how cool the character used to be. He used to have to use his brains when fighting, but now he can just jump in no matter how bad with no worries. You know no matter how bad the fight is he will be 100% within minutes. It frankly made the character kind of a joke. Bad writers kept upping it more and more until he did get to the "can regrow from a single cell" stage we are at now.
    I remember one of the Clermont issues after his he took over the Xmen. it was the arc the Xmen battle Arcade. Mystique cut his throat and Wolverines healing factor did not work fast enough to stop him from bleeding to death. Of course that was one of Arcades Robots and not the Real Wolverine. But just that little bit showed how slow Woverines healing factor used to work. Not he can get him by a rocket and be healed in 5 minutes.

I thought it got crazy to me when Mr. Fix It punched him full on in the side of the head and Wolverine was like no biggie. I know he has the Adamantium skull and all but he should have been knocked out or at least dizzy and shakey on his feet for a bit.
    Last edited by babyblob; 10-07-2021 at 01:30 PM.
    This Post Contains No Artificial Intelligence. It Contains No Human Intelligence Either.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Chris0013 View Post
    Add in the adamantium laced bones and he can take a hit that someone like Cap couldn't. The bones won't break..but there will be trauma...and the HF will deal with that trauma.
    I meant strength wise Cap.Yeah he can damage soak well and has hax in Adamantium claws