Page 19 of 54 FirstFirst ... 915161718192021222329 ... LastLast
    Retired

Doesn't dumping movies on their premium streaming service, make their service look not so premium? Max is supposed to be the best they have to offer--which is why you pay more for it. If they want to hide a movie, they could release it on a lower tier service or a third party channel.

Put a smile on that face Immortal Weapon's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Kelly View Post
    Doesn't dumping movies on their premium streaming service, make their service look not so premium? Max is supposed to be the best they have to offer--which is why you pay more for it. If they want to hide a movie, they could release it on a lower tier service or a third party channel.
    No. It's the streaming service. Warner media consolidated all their other services and put it into Max. Let's not forget that the Synder Cut, Mortal Kombat and Godzilla vs Kong were huge hits for them and being on Max was the big reason why.

Quote Originally Posted by Immortal Weapon View Post
    No. It's the streaming service. Warner media consolidated all their other services and put it into Max. Let's not forget that the Synder Cut, Mortal Kombat and Godzilla vs Kong were huge hits for them and being on Max was the big reason why.
    The only one of those three that even remotely deserved to be a big hit was the Snyder Cut, and considering how my opinion on the whole Snyderverse is "meh" shows just how bad I think those other two movies are. I never thought that they could make a Godzilla movie that I would dislike much less completely hate, but the world is full of surprises.

Astonishing Member

Putting it on HBO Max isn't "hiding it". They would be trying to get the most out of the money they spent without the PR disaster a full release with an out of control star would bring. People would still watch it, and they wouldn't have to spend as much on marketing to no avail.

It might attract a few subscribers or keep some that are already subscribed. At most it doesnt "hurt" them.

Retired

Quote Originally Posted by kidfresh512 View Post
    Putting it on HBO Max isn't "hiding it". They would be trying to get the most out of the money they spent without the PR disaster a full release with an out of control star would bring. People would still watch it, and they wouldn't have to spend as much on marketing to no avail.

It might attract a few subscribers or keep some that are already subscribed. At most it doesnt "hurt" them.
    Well I certainly don't have the answer. This is a terrible situation and every possible scenario I can think of doesn't have a great outcome. It seems like some of the postings I've read do use putting it on Max as a way to relegate it to a service where it won't get attention. But that's not really right, because if it doesn't get attention that doesn't say much for the service and they're losing money; or, if it does get attention and it makes them money that's not really solving the problem--if the problem is Miller. It's a paradox--one wants the movie to be seen but not be seen.

Cursed studio.

Well I certainly don't have the answer. This is a terrible situation and every possible scenario I can think of doesn't have a great outcome. It seems like some of the postings I've read do use putting it on Max as a way to relegate it to a service where it won't get attention. But that's not really right, because if it doesn't get attention that doesn't say much for the service and they're losing money; or, if it does get attention and it makes them money that's not really solving the problem--if the problem is Miller. It's a paradox--one wants the movie to be seen but not be seen.
    WB should stealth release the film on Max and say nothing about it. Put focus on Keaton's Batman and Supergirl and maybe fast track the spinoff so whatever attention the movie does get goes towards that.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Immortal Weapon View Post
    Why are some of you guys treating streaming as if it's some kind of graveyard? It won't be seen as lesser if it doesn't get a theatrical release
    It's not a graveyard but I think this film has some contractual issues that require it to be in a theater for some time.

If that is not true then go on with the streaming but get ready to EAT a lot of costs.

We don't know how much stuff from ads for buses or billboards let alone other merchandise has been made. SOMEONE has to eat those costs.

Remember Star Trek Generations. They had to replace those uniforms so EARLY into filming that Laforge and Riker were wearing DS9 uniforms. Yet the TOYS were dressed in the movie uniforms. That is how early into production stuff goes.

Fox's last Fantastic Four had a bunch of stuff that we in the USA NEVER got to see. Yet Mexico did.

Now how much stuff does this film have to eat in costs?

Old school comic book fan WestPhillyPunisher's Avatar

Haven’t seen a situation this messed up since Kevin Spacey derailed House of Cards after his sexual abuse allegations became public. At least the producers were able to write him out of what ended up being the show’s final season, but the train wreck with Miller is a lot tougher. WB could go ahead and release The Flash to theaters (though I’m guessing without anything in the way of publicity, i.e., TV trailers), or quietly shuffle it off directly to HBO MAX and wash their hands of the whole thing. Whichever way the studio goes, I doubt there will be a happy ending for the film.
    Avatar: Here's to the late, great Steve Dillon. Best. Punisher. Artist. EVER!

Kind of hard to shuffle off to streaming a film that cost millions, setting up keatons return as batman and a supergirl film and confirmed to have ties to future theatre dc releases.

Quote Originally Posted by Gaastra View Post
    Kind of hard to shuffle off to streaming a film that cost millions, setting up keatons return as batman and a supergirl film and confirmed to have ties to future theatre dc releases.
    WB did it for the entirety of last year and were successful with most of it.

Quote Originally Posted by Gaastra View Post
    DC has been giving us multiple Batmen and Jokers for years now, in both films and television, without turning off the filmgoing audience. I seriously doubt anyone's going to boycott or not understand whatever Keaton's future role might be if the film ends up on HBOMax. If anything, WB might want to wash the stench of Miller off anything to do with their flagship character as quietly as possible.

Retired

I don't see the need for a movie that sets up another universe. That's what happened to BATMAN V SUPERMAN when they made it DAWN OF JUSTICE. It's a hat on a hat on a hat.

If they were going to have something like NO WAY HOME, then sure it would probably help other movies to follow (although this has hardly ever worked for W.B.). But other movies don't need it.

I would just keep doing what they've been doing--pushing the release of THE FLASH. There might be a time limit to how long they can do that, but in the meantime, they could just go ahead with all their other movies. Eventually, THE FLASH will become irrelevant.

Ultimate Member

Maybe they could add something at the end where a reality altering villain or something changes reality, or just meld two different realities Flash's together to get a new actor and go forward from there...