Page 317 of 327 FirstFirst ... 217267307313314315316317318319320321 ... LastLast
Results 4,741 to 4,755 of 4900
    Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by AbnormallyNormal View Post
    What would you guys say are the like "main versions" of Illyana/Magik? In terms of characterization and all that. You can also include her power level if you want.
    There's the OG Claremont version and the modern post-resurrection version. I suppose you could have 'sub-versions' like Simonson, Wells, Bendis, ect. But I wouldn't classify them as separate versions. And I don't consider any of the alternate reality versions, like Age of Apocalypse or Exiles, to be 'main' versions.

Claremont's version is more about the struggle and the duality of trying to use evil powers to do good while not falling to the dark side. She became too powerful too quickly and has extensive knowledge but lacks the wisdom of experience, making her prone to running away from problems like ruling Limbo and more susceptible to traps that could lead to her fall. She is constantly at war with herself and wants nothing more than to be rid of all of her powers and the baggage that comes with them.

The 2.0 Illyana has gained the wisdom of experience and has gained a level of confidence and control Claremont's never had. The duality is still there, but it is lessened. She has fully accepted who and what she is and is and usually faces problems head-on instead of running away like she used to. She is snarkier and seemingly nastier, but in a way has more empathy and able to see herself in others with her greater experience. The danger of her falling to the dark side if she loses control is still there, but it is greatly lessened from her less mature days. As a result she can go to extremes she couldn't have before and not risk losing control.

As for her power levels, the difficulty is that every version of her holds back the vast majority of her power almost all the time. At her best, in full-darkchild mode in Limbo, she is a reality warper. As a Hell-lord, she has status similar to the likes of Mephisto. Amanda Sefton, who has been stated to be weaker than Illyana, scared Mephisto. And later Illyana defeated Dormammu. At her absolute best in Limbo she is probably well above Dr. Strange.

But she rarely uses that power. It is dangerous, and most of the time it is also overkill. Plus she hates it. Even in her more mature incarnation, it is only with great reluctance or in moments of overwhelming anger that she resorts to it. If she ever truly falls, the X-Men as a whole have no chance against her unless they have the Phoenix on their side at full power. She will corrupt some of them to her service and kill the others while making it look easy. At that level only something with a cosmic level of power like the Phoenix stands a chance against her.

Below that is her regular sorcery. In Limbo this is sorcerer supreme level, while on earth it is inconsistent, where she can sometimes cast spells and sometimes can't, depending on the story needs. Since Bendis had her learning under Strange she has been able to cast spells on earth more consistently, but not at sorcerer supreme levels.

She created the soul sword, one of the most powerful mystical artifacts in the entire Marvel Universe. With the sword-fighting skills she learned training with Cat, she can use the sword instead of her spells, in effect holding back even more. But with her skills and the sword's power, she is capable of fighting evenly with mystically based foes on the level of Thor.

Do Belasco, S'ym, and N'astirh exist anymore? Are they still threats?

Is Illyana still the "asbolute" ruler of Limbo?

Is her "basic" mutant power still teleportation? Everything else is magic-based?

The King Fears NO ONE! Triniking1234's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Hypestyle View Post
    Do Belasco, S'ym, and N'astirh exist anymore? Are they still threats?

Is Illyana still the "asbolute" ruler of Limbo?

Is her "basic" mutant power still teleportation? Everything else is magic-based?
    Depends on the writer. See previous answer.

Yes.

Yes. Yes.
    Last edited by Triniking1234; 10-22-2018 at 10:36 AM.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by CRaymond View Post
    Wednesday Addams x Arya Stark
    I knew there was a reason I always loved Arya!

Extraordinary Member

Random idea. How would you rewrite certain Illyana stories to make them better?

I was going over the Excalibur story where they encounter an alternate universe Illyana who is completely evil, runs a criminal empire with Kitty, and wants to use Rachel' Phoenix power to take over the world. It's Excalibur issue 23.

While the story is good fun, and it has some really nice feats for Illyana, I feel an exploration of how she and Kitty ended up that way could be interesting.

We know that world was practically destroyed by war between super-beings, which is what prompted their outlawing and those with powers to go into hiding. Presumably most of the X-Men were killed, but Kitty and Illyana were among the few survivors. Both are naturally devastated by the carnage and the loss of their loved ones.

What if Kitty's empire actually started as something noble? After such a war, many of the survivors around the world would be in desperate need of aid, and with Illyana's teleportation, Kitty can send food, clothes, and medical supplies anywhere in the world instantaneously and with no shipping costs.

Illyana is thrilled to help. Using her powers to help rebuild the world after the war makes her feel better above herself.

But things don't always go as planned. Often, after Illyana leaves, pirates and warlords come and steal the aid she brought. Kitty, wanting to protect Illyana, doesn't tell her about the thefts. Instead, she begins secretly including weapons in the boxes with the aid to allow those in need to defend themselves.

And so begins what will eventually become Kitty's criminal empire. Initially she is just trying to protect people, but as the skirmishes escalate she procures and sends more and better weapons to those in need.

Kitty then strikes upon another idea to protect those in need. Control where the fighting takes place. And so she begins to sell weapons to the gangs and warlords, on condition that they only use them where she says they can. With Illyana's unknowing help, Kitty becomes the biggest arms dealer on the planet, and gradually begins to take control of the criminal underworld.

Gradually, Kitty begins to become more concerned with protecting and maintaining her new criminal empire than with protecting those in need, and Illyana, who has been in denial about what her friend has really been up to, notices the change.

When the realization finally sinks in, when Illyana at last understands how her best friend betrayed her and used her to build this criminal empire, it breaks Illyana, and she can no longer resist the dark side. She attacks Kitty intending to kill her, but the part of her that craves power realizes the opportunity Kitty's empire is. So she leaves Kitty alive, but under her control, to serve as the figurehead and possible fall guy while Illyana assumes full control of the empire from behind the scenes, consolidating its power over all armed conflict and crime.

This would change the story, but I think it would be a much deeper story that way. Instead of 2 jealous mobsters, these would be 2 former friends who hurt each other - Kitty would live under Illyana's control and with the guilt of knowing she caused Illyana to turn out that way, and Illyana would not be able to trust anyone ever again and live only to acquire more power.

That's my first idea for a rewrite. Anyone else got their own ideas?

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by sunofdarkchild View Post
    There's the OG Claremont version and the modern post-resurrection version. I suppose you could have 'sub-versions' like Simonson, Wells, Bendis, ect. But I wouldn't classify them as separate versions. And I don't consider any of the alternate reality versions, like Age of Apocalypse or Exiles, to be 'main' versions.

The 2.0 Illyana has gained the wisdom of experience and has gained a level of confidence and control Claremont's never had. The duality is still there, but it is lessened. She has fully accepted who and what she is and is and usually faces problems head-on instead of running away like she used to. She is snarkier and seemingly nastier, but in a way has more empathy and able to see herself in others with her greater experience. The danger of her falling to the dark side if she loses control is still there, but it is greatly lessened from her less mature days. As a result she can go to extremes she couldn't have before and not risk losing control.

As for her power levels, the difficulty is that every version of her holds back the vast majority of her power almost all the time. At her best, in full-darkchild mode in Limbo, she is a reality warper. As a Hell-lord, she has status similar to the likes of Mephisto. Amanda Sefton, who has been stated to be weaker than Illyana, scared Mephisto. And later Illyana defeated Dormammu. At her absolute best in Limbo she is probably well above Dr. Strange.

But she rarely uses that power. It is dangerous, and most of the time it is also overkill. Plus she hates it. Even in her more mature incarnation, it is only with great reluctance or in moments of overwhelming anger that she resorts to it. If she ever truly falls, the X-Men as a whole have no chance against her unless they have the Phoenix on their side at full power. She will corrupt some of them to her service and kill the others while making it look easy. At that level only something with a cosmic level of power like the Phoenix stands a chance against her.

Below that is her regular sorcery. In Limbo this is sorcerer supreme level, while on earth it is inconsistent, where she can sometimes cast spells and sometimes can't, depending on the story needs. Since Bendis had her learning under Strange she has been able to cast spells on earth more consistently, but not at sorcerer supreme levels.

She created the soul sword, one of the most powerful mystical artifacts in the entire Marvel Universe. With the sword-fighting skills she learned training with Cat, she can use the sword instead of her spells, in effect holding back even more. But with her skills and the sword's power, she is capable of fighting evenly with mystically based foes on the level of Thor.
    Upon her return from the very beginning Illyana was able to cast spells on earth. She took down Rockslide and Pixie with magic blasts on earth, and her spell casting was just fine as the Darkchilde on earth. When her mutant powers were broken she was channelling more Limbo energy than ever, but that came at a price. That's why she went to Doctor Strange for lessons in magic. It was more about how to use magic on earth in such a way that would not let her lose control or cause disasters.

The Eye of Agamotto has shown Illyana as a potential replacement for Strange, and every time Strange needs powerful sorcerers as his allies Magik is one of the sorcerers. She as at sorcerer surpreme level on Earth. I agree at full power it would take the Phoenix to stop her (X-Men wise) or Dr. Strange would have to get help from the Vishanti or Thor would have to get help from Gaea or Odin.

I like the experienced, skilled Magik we've seen since her return. I like her relationship with her mentor Dr. Strange.

Check out @azura_cosplay’s Tweet: https://twitter.com/azura_cosplay/st...442747392?s=09

I love the details in this cosplay. Sorry if it's been posted before, but I thought this was pretty cool. Love the blades on the headgear and the hot spikes.

BANNED

it's nice, but those shorts are REALLY short to the point of being a glorified belt...a bit more shorts less bikini.

Otherwise it's nice.

Incredible Member

I just thought of something:

Could Illyana's year in a frozen hell have soured her on being called "Little Snowflake"?

Incredible Member

Are we going to discuss "What If?" here, or is all the discussion going to be done at the speciality thread?

https://community.cbr.com/showthread...agik-(Preview)

I thought Leah's writing was good, and I wonder how she feels about the Illeah Slashfic done in Secret Wars III.

Quote Originally Posted by G0RM View Post
    Are we going to discuss "What If?" here, or is all the discussion going to be done at the speciality thread?

https://community.cbr.com/showthread...agik-(Preview)

I thought Leah's writing was good, and I wonder how she feels about the Illeah Slashfic done in Secret Wars III.
    Same.

The one-shot was okay but I think I had very high expectations on it. I don't know about you guys but I didn't see anything new on this.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by G0RM View Post
    I just thought of something:

Could Illyana's year in a frozen hell have soured her on being called "Little Snowflake"?
    I quite like the "there are no snowflakes in hell" I use that every time someone calls another person a "snowflake" as an insult.

I loved the What if? One Shot. I approve of the inevitable forthcoming Magik solo written by Williams & illustrated by Andrade

To me, this issue proved there is sooooo much story they can tell in a Magik solo series. Pulling from both the mutant & magic worlds, the possibilities are endless.

I am happy there are creators at Marvel who are passionate about the character. So it gives me hope we might see more exciting things in the future.

There has been some speculation that Rosenberg & Gorham are working on a follow-up to New Mutants Dead Souls. Gorham just posted this to his social media...

Capture.JPG

Looks very much like his version of Illyana!

BANNED

That hair is disgusting.