Page 279 of 327 FirstFirst ... 179229269275276277278279280281282283289 ... LastLast
Results 4,171 to 4,185 of 4900
    Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Mackandal View Post
    Except for that issue where the entire story was Illyana telling a story about how Kitty and Piotr weren't right for each other and they should move on.
    I'm not familiar about that. Can you tell me more?

Except for that issue where the entire story was Illyana telling a story about how Kitty and Piotr weren't right for each other and they should move on.
    She was so right...Of course sh eis the right person for Kitty

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by passerby View Post
    In an interview with CBR https://www.cbr.com/x-men-gold-marc-...sus-wedding/2/ Guggenheim said, "In fact, Illyana will be part of the team lineup starting with issue #24."

Does this mean that Magik would be part of the main cast from issue 24 onwards? If so, does this make you want to buy X-Men Gold more, if you aren't already buying it?
    I'm not currently buying XMG, but I will pick up the Cruel and Unusual arc. I suspect Illyana's role in the "starting lineup" is temporary and will end after the main cast gets of prison in issue 26.

While I am not a fan of Guggenheim, I will still pick up the issues with Illyana.

Very interested to see what kind of role she plays in the wedding issue

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Andru View Post
    While I am not a fan of Guggenheim, I will still pick up the issues with Illyana.

Very interested to see what kind of role she plays in the wedding issue
    I would think Maid of Honor but you never know with Kitty.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by jamgut View Post
    I would think Maid of Honor but you never know with Kitty.
    If nothing happens to Rachel, then she'd more likely be Maid of Honor considering she's part of the main team (even though she barely interacts with Kitty because Guggs only cares about his hetero romances)

Ugh, I hate discussing this piece of **** wedding ._.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Maestroneto View Post
    If nothing happens to Rachel, then she'd more likely be Maid of Honor considering she's part of the main team (even though she barely interacts with Kitty because Guggs only cares about his hetero romances)

Kitty’s probably marrying Colossus to prove how hetero she is. I know she’s gay for Rachel.

totally...completely...just thinking about the reception...feels so phony
    “The reason of the unreasonableness which against my reason is wrought, doth so weaken my reason, as with all reason I do justly complain on your beauty.”
    ― Miguel de Cervantes Don Quixote

Jesus Christ, redeemer! The Whovian's Avatar

That is cool
    “Now faith, hope, and love remain, and the greatest of these is love.”--1 Corinthians 13:13

“You had a dream; I have a plan”--Cyclops

“There's no point in being grown up if you can't be childish sometimes.”--The Doctor

Quote Originally Posted by jorge17881 View Post
    Love it! Campbell always does a great job with Illyana.

Incredible Member

Title, volume, issue?

For that matter, image of the conversation?

In the classic "Professor Xavier is a Jerk" dialogue, Illyana told Kitty what she needed (Basically 'If you want Xavier to stop treating you like a child, stop acting like one') rather than what Kitty wanted ('Yeah, he's a real bastard, no doubt about it.')

It served as my 'go to' example of a good friend for many years.

Unfortunately, at times Illyana has simply backed up Kitty, mirroring back bitterness, binding closer to Kitty by vilifying others (a triangulation game of "Let's you and him fight.")

However, I would really like to see your evidence of an anti-Piotr conversation.

(The whole Piotr Kitty Illyana triangle has always seemed problematic: the Romeo-Juliet 19yo-13yo pedophilia part, the vague incest / lesbian transference, Illyana's abuse background... lots of transgressive trigger-subjects all in one package.)

Quote Originally Posted by jorge17881 View Post
    Thank you again Jorge for curating and sharing such wonderful art!

Hmmm.

I really dig J Scott Cambell's work.

This is Magik. The power of the the body and the gaze

But do we dare question the 'power' of sexualizing an asexual young female survivor of abduction, abuse, torture, war, confinement, alienation, persecution and death?

Asexuality isn't accepted by a capitalistic society and has always been vulnerable to enslavement, dehumanizing and absolute rejection. An asexual person, an adult virgin is still more or less considered sacrificial or satirical.

But what if she's Magik? What if she's Illyana?

I DO really like J. Scott Campbell's art. I DO accept and appreciate contradiction and depth.
    But this thread spends so much convo on Illyana's appearance. Why? I'm not saying it's good or bad.
    It's strange, to me, that the overt sexualization of Magik is rarely overtly discussed.

There are historically strong allegorical artistic roots in the depiction of sexualized youthful men and women as a means to subvert the patriarchal ideals of gender roles by blurring the inherent possession of typecast. How old is she, or is it he, or is it...? So there's doubt there, but, often this seems like a stretch, especially as it translates into today's modern American market.

I'm interested in how and why in speaking about her new outfits, looks and styles fans seem to never speak about the obvious. IMO there is a veil that often goes utterly unnoticed it's so very apparent it may actually be in reality trans-parent.

Or is that body and gaze so powerful that it's just hard to speak about?

The more we change and question what's so often taken for granted, missed or explained away and the more voice that's given to individuals who suffer behind this 'veil', the more I am interested in discussing representation in all its complexities & contraries of projection and reception.

the gaze and the body...

And yes, I totally like J Scott Campbell's Magik. It's immediate. The gaze and the body. They wouldn't work so powerfully together and so readily if they weren't, indeed, so powerful.
    Last edited by sungila; 02-09-2018 at 01:34 PM.
    “The reason of the unreasonableness which against my reason is wrought, doth so weaken my reason, as with all reason I do justly complain on your beauty.”
    ― Miguel de Cervantes Don Quixote

BANNED

https://mobile.twitter.com/MarkBrook...61129416503297

Mark Brooks teasing covers for a Magik solo? He’s not solicited for any Dead Souls variants.

BANNED

https://mobile.twitter.com/MarkBrook...61129416503297

Mark Brooks teasing covers for a Magik solo? He’s not solicited for any Dead Souls variants.
    The thought of having a Magik solo fills me with anticipation, but also trepidation. Magik in X-Men Gold's lineup at around the same time as New Mutants: Dead Souls and now this upcoming announcement all possibly point to Marvel trying to capitalise on the New Mutants movie, which was slated to premiere in April. If things had gone as planned with Fox's movie, we could see a surge in interest in Magik's comic books.

But now that the movie is delayed, there won't be new readers coming from the theatres to buy books featuring Magik. And if sales don't meet Marvel's expectations because of this, we could lose this unique opportunity to see a revival of interest in Illyana books.