Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default The Definitive Batman

I have been working on my Green Lantern list recently and while watching the movie Son of Batman, it got me thinking about the Batman trades and what are the major stories to be read in the Batman universe. So basically what I'd like to do is make a big chronological list (DCU timeline-wise).

The list will go on here and I'll add more information to the OP as people come in and give suggestions.

Here's just a small list of important stories off the top of my head. Info is what I found from Amazon so if you have a better trade recommendation let me know. I might add some info on each story as I build our list.

Batman Solo

Batman Vol. 4 Zero Year - Secret City (Bv2 #21-24 176 pgs.) by Scott Snyder & Greg Capullo
    Batman Vol. 5 Zero Year - Dark City (Bv2 #25-27, 29-33 240 pgs.) by Scott Snyder & Greg Capullo
    Batman Year One (Bv1 #404-407 136 pgs.) by Frank Miller & David Mazzucchelli
    Batman: The Long Halloween (Mini-series #1-13 384 pgs.) by Jeph Loeb & Tim Sale
    Batman: Dark Victory (Mini-series #0-13 499 pgs.) by Jeph Loeb & Tim Sale
    Batman: The Killing Joke (One-shot 64 pgs.) by Alan Moore & Brian Bolland
    Batman: A Death in the Family (Bv1 #426-429 272 pgs.) by Jim Starlin & Jim Aparo
    Batman: Knightfall Vol. 1 (Bv1 #491-500, DCv1 #659-666, SoBv1 #16-18 640 pgs.) by Various
    Batman: Knightfall Vol. 2 - KnightQuest (DCv1 #667-675, SoBv1 #19-20 24-28, Bv1 #501-508 656 pgs.) by Various
    Batman: Knightfall Vol. 3 - KnightsEnd (Bv1 #509-510 512-514, SoBv1 #29-30 32-34, DCv1 #676-677 679-681, LotDKv1 #62-63) by Various
    Batman: Hush (Bv1 #609-619 320 pgs.) by Jeph Loeb & Jim Lee
    Batman: Under the Red Hood (Bv1 #635-641 645-650 384 pgs.) by Judd Winick & Doug Mahnke
    Batman: Batman & Son (Bv1 #655-658, 663-669, 672-675 384 pgs.) by Grant Morrison & Andy Kubert
    Batman: The Court of Owls (Bv2 #1-7 176 pgs.) by Scott Snyder & Greg Capullo
    Batman: The City of Owls (Bv2 #8-12 208 pgs.) by Scott Snyder & Greg Capullo
    Batman: Death of the Family (Bv2 #13-17 176 pgs) by Scott Snyder & Greg Capullo
    The Joker: Death of the Family (Various Bat-titles 456 pgs.) by Scott Snyder & Greg Capullo
    Batman: The Dark Knight Returns (Mini-series #1-4 224 pgs.) by Frank Miller & Klaus Janson

Bat-family

Justice League and other team ups

JLA (Book 7): Tower of Babel (JLA #43-46 160 pgs.) by Mark Waid

Legend
    B - Batman
    DC - Detective Comics
    SoB - Shadow of the Bat
    LotDK - Legends of the Dark Knight

More to come!
    Last edited by The Doctor; 08-31-2014 at 10:31 PM.

This is my list of Batman chronology that I refer to frequently when deciding what to buy and where to put everything on my shelf.

Year One
    Shaman
    Batman and the Monster Men
    Batman and the Mad Monk
    Prey
    The Man Who Laughs
    Gothic
    Venom
    Long Halloween
    Dark Victory
    Killing Joke
    Death in the Family
    Birth of the Demon
    Knightfall
    Knightquest
    Knightsend
    Contagion
    Cataclysm
    No Man’s Land
    Officer Down
    Bruce Wayne: Murderer?
    Bruce Wayne: Fugitive
    Gotham Central
    Hush
    Broken City
    War Games
    Under the Red Hood
    Heart of Hush
    Batman and Son
    Resurrection of Ra’s Al Ghul
    Black Glove
    RIP
    Whatever Happened to the Caped Crusader
    Batman Reborn
    Time and the Batman
    Batman vs Robin
    Return of Bruce Wayne
    Batman and Robin Must Die
    Batman Incorporated
    Gates of Gotham
    Black Mirror
    ------
    Born to Kill
    Faces of Death
    Court of Owls
    Night of Owls
    City of Owls
    Death of the Family
    Joker: Death of the Family
    Demon Star
    Gotham's Most Wanted
    Requiem for Damian
    Batman Eternal

Zero Year is sticky because it and Year One are kind of at odds. I'll be personally placing Zero Year after Requiem as a flashback of sorts.

The problem with Batman chronologies is that Batman history isn't a constant, it changed with every crisis and other retcons.
    You basically have

Crisis on Infinite Earths -> Zero Hour Batman
    Zero Hour -> Infinite Crisis Batman
    Infinite Crisis -> Flashpoint Batman
    And Nu52 Batman

Ie pre-Zero Hour Batman had Joe Chill as the killer of Bruce's parents, Zero Hour removed that (he never found the killer) and Infinite Crisis re-introduced Joe Chill. This is just one aspect. This is the way I sort my DC stories pretty much, chronologies only work between Crisis and other major events.
    Also you should really treat Nu52 Batman as a completely separate beast, much of his previous history no longer makes sense.

To add to your list:
    The current A Death in the Family already contains A Lonely Place of Dying (Tim Drake introduction) so you're good there.
    If you read Knightfall then also read Prodigal (get it on ebay) which marks the end of loner-Batman and introduces a Batman that actually cares about his friends and family.
    Most of my suggestions are already included in PyroSikTh's post. I'd add Final Crisis though, otherwise the stories afterwards don't make much sense.
    Last edited by SocializingMogo; 08-27-2014 at 05:12 AM.

My list would pretty much be post crisis to flashpoint.

DKR (a flash forward send-off to pre-crisis continuity)
    Year One
    Monster Men/Mad Monk
    Man Who Laughs
    Loeb/Sale stuff
    Killing Joke
    Death in the Family/Lonely Place
    Arkham Asylum
    Knightfall
    No Man's Land
    Azzarello stuff
    Brubaker/Rucka runs
    Hush
    Under the Red Hood
    Morrison/Dini runs
    Black Mirror

That's strictly solo related material. Spin offs and team books are another story.

I'm at least a C-Lister! exile001's Avatar

Oooh, an excuse to go through my TPB collection again. I'll try and post a list later this week.

Well as far as I go I'd pretty much try to make it in your mind as if you were going to fuse all of these great trade stories into one epic Batman lineage. Even if some people are missing in some stories or the mythos isn't completely matching because of error or within different DCU eras like Crisis on Infinite Earths, Flashpoint, etc.

I don't think besides the historical collections that there is much trade collections of stuff before Crisis on Infinite Earths anyway although I'm not 100% sure on that.

To Pyro (or anyone) what is the difference in between the Death of the Family and Joker: Death of the Family trades?

I haven't read any of these stories. Despite being CBFG before my experience with Batman was the Animated Series, the non-West movies, Zero Hour, and the New 52 everything after #21.

Of course I eventually ebay'd and got and read Long Halloween, parts of Shaman, and the Monster Men off of singles before I decided to move exclusively to trades.\

This is a list to not only help others, but something I can reference like my Johns Green Lantern thread which helps me tremendously when I'm in store on my phone trying to figure out what I need to get or what would be best.

Quote Originally Posted by The Doctor View Post
    Well as far as I go I'd pretty much try to make it in your mind as if you were going to fuse all of these great trade stories into one epic Batman lineage. Even if some people are missing in some stories or the mythos isn't completely matching because of error or within different DCU eras like Crisis on Infinite Earths, Flashpoint, etc.
    If you do it your way, you're also mixing art-styles of different ages. It may be jarring going from Year One to Long Halloween and Dark Victory back to Death in the Family etc.

To Pyro (or anyone) what is the difference in between the Death of the Family and Joker: Death of the Family trades?
    The Joker one only collects the tie-ins.

I would add Strange Apparitions with Silver St. Cloud and Laughing Fish.

Quote Originally Posted by SocializingMogo View Post
    If you do it your way, you're also mixing art-styles of different ages. It may be jarring going from Year One to Long Halloween and Dark Victory back to Death in the Family etc.

The Joker one only collects the tie-ins.

I see that as a strength, personally. One artist, one writer would be awfully boring. Its the various visionaries giving unique takes on the material that keeps it fresh and interesting and allows it to endure.
    Last edited by MykeHavoc; 08-27-2014 at 08:18 AM.

If you read Knightfall then also read Prodigal (get it on ebay) which marks the end of loner-Batman and introduces a Batman that actually cares about his friends and family.
    Prodigal is collected at the end of Knightsend, so there's no need to ebay an out-of-print trade if you're getting the complete Knightfall saga anyway.

I'd add Final Crisis though, otherwise the stories afterwards don't make much sense.
    Not sure I particularly agree with this. RIP Missing Chapters (collected with Time and the Batman) covers everything in Final Crisis you need to know for Batman.

Death of the Family is #13-17 of the Batman title. It's the main story without any filler.
    Joker: Death of the Family is all the tie-ins and filler material that, in my opinion, fleshes out the Death of the Family story really well. It also closes with Batman #17 so I often read the whole thing after the penultimate chapter in the Batman book.

Quote Originally Posted by PyroSikTh View Post
    Prodigal is collected at the end of Knightsend, so there's no need to ebay an out-of-print trade if you're getting the complete Knightfall saga anyway.

Not sure I particularly agree with this. RIP Missing Chapters (collected with Time and the Batman) covers everything in Final Crisis you need to know for Batman.

Death of the Family is #13-17 of the Batman title. It's the main story without any filler.
    Joker: Death of the Family is all the tie-ins and filler material that, in my opinion, fleshes out the Death of the Family story really well. It also closes with Batman #17 so I often read the whole thing after the penultimate chapter in the Batman book.
    I do want to collect final crisis anyways along with CoIE and Zero Hour (for Parallax and my Green Lantern stuff). So death of the family is Batman vol. 3?

The reason Batman is so great is there is no definitive Batman. He works on so many different levels from pulp to campy to dark & brooding to less somber,,,etc.

Yup. Don't get me wrong, I love golden/silver/bronze age stuff. I just wasn't alive for it so it didn't have much impact on me growing up. I was born the year of DKR, and was mesmerized by the Tim Burton film at 3. So naturally that's what forever sticks in my mind. But all incarnations are valid and can coexist. Its a huge, wonderful world and I'm glad stuff like Batman '66 and L'il Gotham exist. Everyone deserves to share in the experience, regardless of age, gender, orientation, color or creed.

Another way to find some interesting trades for this would be to ask what are some of Batman's major villains best story arcs or what are some great scuffles between Batman and other heroes.

Best trade for Batman vs. Superman (or other heroes)
    Joker, Poison Ivy, Scarecrow, Two-Face, Clayface, Black Mask, Catwoman, Bane, Penguin, Riddler, etc. worthwhile stories.

I never understood how DC can cram all of that in a 5 year period in new 52 continuity. I'm loving what's listed here though.