Page 30 of 62 FirstFirst ... 2026272829303132333440 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Fuzzy Mittens View Post
    As someone who followed the book I can tell you that we still don't know their deal or motives.
    We know that Donna is allied with them. That their aware of Dooms Doorway being unguarded and are moving to the island to deal with it. That they consider Yara one of their own and will fight gods for her. And that their home city is called 'Akahim' where they have giant capybaras. Oh and that one of the Esquecida is named Potira.

99.9% of that information comes from issue #5 which is the only point in the story where it gives any focus to the Esquecida. Which consists of Potira giving Cassie a tour and history lesson
    Thank you.

Queen Faruka is certainly standing out having read the second issue now.

Quote Originally Posted by BrianWilly View Post
    Worst of all is how this all reduces Diana herself to just bland set dressing, constantly reacting to things without much input. She came back to the island because Nubia asked her to. She wants to talk to the Esquecidas but is told to wait. She wants to see her mother but gets denied and then goaded into a pissing match by Faruka. Her mother dies and there's one panel of her reaction to this. There's four whole pages of discussion amongst the primary Amazons about what to do in the wake of this event and Diana does not say a single word through any of it. Wonder Woman finally shows some proactivity in the last scene of the second issue, and I can't be sure that the first scene of the next issue won't just be Nubia telling her "Nah you can't do that."
    I think I liked this more than you (having read the second Nubia issue now) but I would agree that I'm bit disappointed with how Diana has been handled so far.

I'll assume this changes when the story gets to the issues that are from the main WW book but yeah given it's her mother and arguably the biggest supporting character in her mythos, I was disappointed how she was glossed over there.

Can anyone tell me why Donna and Cassie have aligned themselves with the Esquecida? I've read all the Wonder Girl issues and such and there doesn't seem to be anything that directly indicates why this should be.
    Author of the Instant New York Times bestselling novel, The Prophets, from G.P. Putnman's Sons.

hate cant reach you here Harpsikord's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by SonOfBaldwin View Post
    Can anyone tell me why Donna and Cassie have aligned themselves with the Esquecida? I've read all the Wonder Girl issues and such and there doesn't seem to be anything that directly indicates why this should be.
    Because there's no real indication as to why Donna allied herself with the Esquecida - as it's written it just feels like an excuse to have all the Wonder Girl's in one place and there's a single panel that indicates that Esquecida don't want whatever the "change" that's coming to happen and that Donna has allied herself with them because of that (which I can't really see being 'Donna'), and Cassie has only allied herself with them because Donna has and because she stood against the Greek Gods and 'saved' Yara by appealing to Zeus.

For as wonderful as Nubia and the Amazons was as lead-up to this and as a series entirely, Wonder Girl was not.
    "We come into this world alone and we leave the same way. The time we spent in between - time spent alive, sharing, learning together... is all that makes life worth living." - Jean Grey

Quote Originally Posted by SonOfBaldwin View Post
    Im assuming its Wonder Girl solidarity
    Im glad that theres two Wonder Girl issues in this event because im counting on them to fill in alot of holes in my understanding

Quote Originally Posted by BrianWilly View Post
    Sigh. I was really hoping to be impressed by Trial of the Amazons, but instead every fear I had about them stuffing five writers and four artists onto an issue got validated instead.

Glancing at some other sites, it seems that people mostly are good with it? Maybe you shouldn't take me all that seriously and would actually end up enjoying this instead...but still, it's kinda annoying that this seems to be the best that DC can do for these characters.

The plot itself is...mostly...fine (I will leave the implications of the story allowing Hippolyta some gay scenes and then immediately killing her off for someone else to dissect), while the execution is just sloppy. On a purely technical level, there is some really awkward art and composition and at least one panel of dialogue coming out of the wrong characters' mouths.

Not that you'd be able to easily tell, because the dialogue here is clumsy as hell and feels written mostly just to fill the air with words; scripting is definitely the weakest part of this whole affair. Characters gab at each other endlessly to fill page space, they seem to get offended or mollified at whatever someone else just said to someone else without rhyme or reason, and there are a couple of pages where you could randomly swap the order of sentences and not make much difference to anything because the ebb and flow of conversation is just so aimless. There's a page where Diana and Nubia are, like, making the exact same points but for some reason the dialogue makes it sound like they're disagreeing with each other instead? You're hard-pressed to feel or even understand the actual stakes of the story because it wastes pages on end on Amazons verbally sparring like an endless twitter thread instead of actually making anyone's motivations clear.

Worst of all is how this all reduces Diana herself to just bland set dressing, constantly reacting to things without much input. She came back to the island because Nubia asked her to. She wants to talk to the Esquecidas but is told to wait. She wants to see her mother but gets denied and then goaded into a pissing match by Faruka. Her mother dies and there's one panel of her reaction to this. There's four whole pages of discussion amongst the primary Amazons about what to do in the wake of this event and Diana does not say a single word through any of it. Wonder Woman finally shows some proactivity in the last scene of the second issue, and I can't be sure that the first scene of the next issue won't just be Nubia telling her "Nah you can't do that."

I hope to be wrong because I haven't seen many outright negative reactions to this all yet, but I just can't imagine anyone reading this event and being like "Boy this Amazon stuff sure is compelling, I sure do wanna see more of this." The best I can say is that it's at least better than the last Wonder Woman event we've had and not actually the worst two books that came out this week, but only because there were two Bendis books as well.
    Kind of have to agree with most of the points here. Especially about Diana being more reactive then active. I really don't know why the writers are trying to pan out this meeting between Yara and Diana, if the character is going to "replace" her as Wonder Woman at least pretend to put some effort into the two characters having some kind of familiarity. Diana also not having a genuine moment about her mother's passing was in poor taste. She really felt like a side character, only there for presence, I hope she gets more proactive next issue. Though with the ending of Nubia #6, it seems like its going to be Diana going over board with the Lasso usage, and causing more tension between the amazons via Faruka stirring everyone up.

Hippolyta dying in the first issue and it being revealed in previews was either just set up in to a reveal of how she isn't dead or just really bad execution. I felt nothing, to be honest. Hippolyta dying didn't cause a genuine reaction from me. Maybe it was the preview spoiling it, maybe I've had enough with characters dying in comics without any really stakes because its comics; they come back anyway, or maybe it was because Hippolyta hasn't had much exposure in other books despite being on the JL for the past year now. We know Hippolyta, Atalanta, Artemis and the Oracle are up to something, it probably involves Hippolyta as a sacrifice of some kind.

I normally give the first comic some leeway, it is after all a setup, not much happens besides introducing the pieces and putting them in order before the start of the match.

Fun fact about the reveal of "Aperion" in the Nubia issue. Aperion means infinite or boundless, From Wikipedia....

"The apeiron is central to the cosmological theory created by Anaximander, a 6th-century BC pre-Socratic Greek philosopher whose work is mostly lost. From the few existing fragments, we learn that he believed the beginning or ultimate reality (arche) is eternal and infinite, or boundless (apeiron), subject to neither old age nor decay, which perpetually yields fresh materials from which everything we can perceive is derived.[4] Apeiron generated the opposites (hot–cold, wet–dry, etc.) which acted on the creation of the world (cf. Heraclitus). Everything is generated from apeiron and then it is destroyed by going back to apeiron, according to necessity.[5] He believed that infinite worlds are generated from apeiron and then they are destroyed there again.[6]"
    Zaldrīzes Buzdari Iksos Daor

Spectacular Member

Why Antiope need to hide her presence?

Quote Originally Posted by hkgkindaichi View Post
    Why Antiope need to hide her presence?
    Possibly prophecy hijacking shennanigans

Spectacular Member

Honestly I still don't understand when Antiope is living among Amazon on the island but the Bana-Mighdall is still in exile outside.

I’m surprised at how little agency Diana had in this, especially in the second chapter. She felt like a glorified background character.
    Donna’s complete silence was also weird as hell. I feel like the crossover may have too many moving parts and the writers are not succeeding in doing justice to everyone.

I also hope editors improve a bit. There were some very glaring errors due to art changes and speech bubbles out of place.
    This event has a lot of potential, but I’m left a little disappointed so far.

I don't mind that Diana has been more of a background player in these first two parts even if I think she should have definitely gotten a scene in which she talks to Donna and Cassie with Yara there too. Hippolyta she has at least interacted with since returning, and I expect to see her grieving her mother properly later and also get a more active role from part three onwards.

Right now it is very much about the Queens and, imo, that's only natural considering the premise of the event. NatA and the Bana backup lead up to this, not Diana's story, so she needs to catch up on what is going on.

I'm more worried about the editorial side of things. I already found it suspicious that there are so many artists involved. TotA #1 might be an oversized Issue but it's not 80 pages. Two artists should have been enough. That they seem to have messed up the speech bubbles on almost 2 1/2 pages is bad. Very bad. The many writers at least have actually been involved in the lead-up, so I would think they know what they are doing.

I haven't read Wonder Girl, so I expected to not quite understand what the Esquecida want, but it's a bit concerning that even Wonder Girl readers don't know much more.

Btw, the end of Diana's talk with Faruka seemed to imply that Diana is one of the few Themysciran Amazons Faruka actually respects, did anyone interpret that the same way?

Still only crumbs...... BiteTheBullet's Avatar

If this is supposed to be one of those stories that turns out to be iconic, shouldn't Diana be front and center in it?

I don't know where to start, ha.
    The event so far seems to be an idea totally conceived by Nubia's writers, it fits perfectly with her miniseries and the Bana's back up story. So at the moment it's the Nubia show, but the one who steals all the scenes is the formidable Queen Faruka.
    There are certain things that make me suspect that we are seeing a staging by Hippolyta and the assembled council in Road to TotA, her face at the beginning and the manner of her death in particular.
    It seems that we have another case of possession of one of the new Amazons, when she loses control after coming into contact with that black liquid at the Doom's Doorway.
    It is true that Diana's role is quite passive, although I quite liked her interaction with Nubia and Faruka. It doesn't bother me at all, Diana has always shone and it seems only fair that this event deals more with her lore and clearly establishes the Wonderverse (I hope so).
    Yes, Donna's lack of absolute interaction bothers me, at least Cassie says/does something, but Donna nothing at all, in the WG miniseries it was established that Donna was a weapon, but nothing more than that.
    I think it is a great start, I understand that it will not be to everyone's taste, as I loved the Nubia miniseries and the Bana back up, it satisfies me in many ways. There are things that do not convince me but I THINK they have their reason for being and will be explained/revealed later.
    We suffer a delay and yet there are errors in the dialogues, those are quite irritating, and yes the fact that Diana and Donna have not been shown sorry for the death of their mother is an attitude that was not handled well from my point of view.

Quote Originally Posted by hkgkindaichi View Post
    Honestly I still don't understand when Antiope is living among Amazon on the island but the Bana-Mighdall is still in exile outside.
    We don't know if Antiope lives on the island, it seems to me that she was hiding. Also as far as I understand Antiope was dead, at what time she revived and what she was doing is something that I hope will be explained later.

Quote Originally Posted by Sebastianne View Post
    I don't know where to start, ha.
    The event so far seems to be an idea totally conceived by Nubia's writers, it fits perfectly with her miniseries and the Bana's back up story. So at the moment it's the Nubia show
    Given that we have the Nubia:Coronation Special on it’s way, I think this “event” is just going to end up being a big & messy story that serves to prop up their pet PoC character as the “best of everything” at the expense of everyone else. Including Wonder Woman/Diana, but I’m hoping I’m wrong…

Jewish & Proud Feminist Shadowcat's Avatar
    Comic-Watch Reviewer

Titles:
    /Doctor Strange/Captain Marvel\Scarlet Witch\
    /Iron Man/Captain Britain/Wasp\X-Men\
    /JSA\/X-Treme X-Men\/WILDCATS\

https://comic-watch.com/author/baradtzgmail-com