Page 57 of 62 FirstFirst ... 747535455565758596061 ... LastLast
    Jax City/Kill The FIremen

Quote Originally Posted by SonOfBaldwin View Post
    Today's issue of Nubia: Coronation Special #1 was fantastic. Did you read it? It's really very good. And I can't wait for Nubia: QUEEN OF THE AMAZONS, which is coming soon.
    I have no interest in Nubia, plain and simple. I don't hate her or dislike her. I just read what I want to read. However, I'm glad you like it, which means DC has finally got Nubia right.

You all realize that Yara being Wondergirl just means she's gonna be another character that Diana ignores, right?
    Zaldrīzes Buzdari Iksos Daor

Quote Originally Posted by masterwitcher88 View Post
    You all realize that Yara being Wondergirl just means she's gonna be another character that Diana ignores, right?
    Shade, but yes.
    Author of the Instant New York Times bestselling novel, The Prophets, from G.P. Putnman's Sons.

Still only crumbs...... BiteTheBullet's Avatar

You are probably right. Maybe the next time Diana speaks to Yara after her death and resurrection from the Justice League is if she now formally wants the Wonder Woman title.

Oooookay!

Many deletions and, sadly, some decent discussion lost in the process.

1. Just because a person does not like a character of color does not mean they are a racist.

2. Nobody should be gatekeeping. Period.

3. No politics or links to politics or comparisons to politics.

4. Discuss the topic and not the people discussing it. This includes accusations of motivations behind someone's opinion.

Let's get back to the topic of the thread, please.
    Last edited by Gaelforce; 05-03-2022 at 08:09 PM.
    Gaelforce
    WonderAdmin
    THE CBR COMMUNITY STANDARDS & RULES - Ignorance of the rules is no excuse!

You hit the nail on the head. DC Comics wants to push Wonder Girl to be Diana's Robin. However, it's not like that. The best Diana was given is Cassie, before she was given to YJ (and I like that book). In my opinion, she doesn't need a sidekick. And they need to stop trying to make it a thing. Just like Superman and Kara, it's never going to happen no matter how many times they team her up with Dick. Kara is not Superman's Robin. She's his She-Hulk.

Quote Originally Posted by DABellWrites View Post
    You hit the nail on the head. DC Comics wants to push Wonder Girl to be Diana's Robin. However, it's not like that. The best Diana was given is Cassie, before she was given to YJ (and I like that book). In my opinion, she doesn't need a sidekick. And they need to stop trying to make it a thing. Just like Superman and Kara, it's never going to happen no matter how many times they team her up with Dick. Kara is not Superman's Robin. She's his She-Hulk.
    Kara and Donna would have had to be used as sidekicks as consistently as Robin for this argument to work.

Agreed.

When was the last time the Wonder Family got any real focus or love? For me it was during Byrne and Jiminez era. Ruck and Simone did some WF stuff in their runs but it felt like they were consistently getting the rug pulled out beneath their feet.

The current era feels like the 70's with a brand new coat of paint with Diana's supporting cast primarily being Steve and Etta and stories revolving around Diana pining for Steve.

The CBR Community Guidelines & Rules
    | Report but also PM me directly

Eh, Cassie's usually just been a microcosm of DC's writers problem with Diana in that most seem more interested in Cassie being in a relationship with whoever her Super or Bat equivalent is. Didn't help she was also just a retread of a previously existing supporting character for Diana.

Quote Originally Posted by Gaius View Post
    Eh, Cassie's usually just been a microcosm of DC's writers problem with Diana in that most seem more interested in Cassie being in a relationship with whoever her Super or Bat equivalent is. Didn't help she was also just a retread of a previously existing supporting character for Diana.
    I think you just need to check out some good Cassie content .

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    I think you just need to check out some good Cassie content .
    She and Yara can have a team up book where they both try to find an interesting characterization.

Quote Originally Posted by Gaius View Post
    She and Yara can have a team up book where they both try to find an interesting characterization.
    Cassie already had one though .

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post
    Kara and Donna would have had to be used as sidekicks as consistently as Robin for this argument to work.
    Exactly my point. Diana has never had her own equivalent of Robin, it won't work and never will work. Donna has never been or will ever be Diana's side-kick. It's why I stated Cassie was the best she got, not as in the good. But, as in, she's the closest to being Diana's equivalent of Robin.

Exactly my point. Diana has never had her own equivalent of Robin, it won't work and never will work. Donna has never been or will ever be Diana's side-kick. It's why I stated Cassie was the best she got, not as in the good. But, as in, she's the closest to being Diana's equivalent of Robin.
    DC never committed to the idea of Diana having a sidekick. Bruce almost always had a Robin, even after the first one moved on to a new identity. You can't say Wonder Woman having a sidekick never worked when DC barely tried it.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Alpha View Post
    She's as interesting as any other Wonder Woman character.

Let's be honest, the Wonder book usually doesn't put much effort into giving these characters notable personalities
    Quote Originally Posted by Alpha View Post
    Nah, even aclaimed runs like George Perez and Rucka surround Diana with very basic character types. I love Cassie, but I wouldn't pretend she has a unique personality (nor did Vanessa before her). Same thing applies to Donna, Hippolyta, Steve Trevor, Philippus, Etta (aside from the Golden Age), etc.

People calling Yara Flor basic or saying she "lacks personality" is quite ironic.

To be clear, there are good versions of these characters, but they still don't stand out very much as characters. Most Wonder Woman characters have interchangeable dialogue and actions. They sct in accordance with plot, not personality
    Honestly? This has been a major issue I've had with the WW mythos for literally decades now. Which is probably there've only been a select few WW stories post-Crisis that I've actually ever been able to get into (stories which - ironically enough - seem to anger most modern day WW fans).

Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post
    This seems to be the crux of your issues with her, that Yara “threatens” Diana because she may end up taking the WW code name as well. Don’t really know why you fear that if so, Diana isn’t going anywhere, not with another movie and a video game on the way.

It’s fine if you don’t like Yara but I genuinely don’t get people who say Yara is “Diana Lite”, bluntly that’s an accusation that’s much more true of Donna, Nubia, or Cassie. Yara’s personality is very different from Diana. She’s hot-tempered, impulsive, not very well-mannered, immature, and brazenly disrespectful towards others in authority. In contrast Diana/Nubia/Donna are all regal, stoic, polite, and diplomatic unless they’ve really been angered, and that takes a lot to unsettle them. We just had a page between Diana and Yara in TotA no less that shows how different the two are!
    Another great example of a number of personalities within the WW mythos being far too similar. The only difference with Donna is that she's slightly more down to earth. Unfortunately, though, she's often come across as the "mom" of the group when she's with the Titans (pre 52, anyway. I really haven't been keeping up with the current Titans books), where most of her main appearances lie.

Okay, this didn't occur to me. I'm really beginning to think she should've been introduced outside of the WW mythos now. She would've been better off if this is the case.
    Keep in mind that you have about as much chance of changing my mind as I do of changing yours.