Page 16 of 62 FirstFirst ... 612131415161718192026 ... LastLast

Curious how Diana vs Yara goes.

"Led by Wonder Woman" exactly what I wanted to see in this event.

Incredible Member

It's weird to me that some posters are afraid of Diana being replaced in her own book. I can see somebody getting a back-up, maybe, or even more Amazons in her book, but I doubt current DC is gonna do Diana dirty like that. I get us WW fans are quite sensitive considering her many years of neglect and BS she's been put through, but I don't get this impression at all. Sure, maybe a new JL with the Future State line-up, but her book will remain her book and it'll just ignore whatever the hell is going on with that.

That being said, I also expect at least one book to spin out of the Trial of the Amazons. Yanno, like what happens with most events at Marvel.

Same with Yara getting her book cancelled. DC has been doing a lot of mini-series recently, too. Yeah, it didn't amount to an actual "on-going", but Marvel does the same thing, with announcing series and then cancelling them after 6 issues and saying that the book was always meant as a mini. Then relaunching with a new team and rinse and repeat lol.

I'm excited for the next few months of Wonder Woman content and am cautiously optimistic of where editorial and the creative teams are taking the WW book(s).

Quote Originally Posted by Primal Slayer View Post
    With the Bana going to Paradise Island to essentially win back their immortality.....do we think we're back to "leave the island, lose immortality"

and how does guarding Dooms Doorway automatically win you that gift from the Gods?
    I don't think so, Diana is immortal, and she leaves the island constantly. Though, it seems like it's becoming a trend that once she leaves it's hard to get back. Maybe since the Bana reject the greek gods for the egyptians their immortality was taken from them. Which begs the question why the egyptian pantheon DIDN'T give the Bana immortality?

As for Dooms Doorway, maybe the Gods just need 2 immortal godlike champions: one in man's world, another guarding the doorway? hence Nubia coming at the same time as Diana's creation, with an unknown level of power equal to Diana? Maybe the winner or MVP of the trial basically becomes a second Diana esc powerhouse with immortality?
    Zaldrīzes Buzdari Iksos Daor

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Sebastianne View Post
    Another "roses" variant for Trial #2

And the Variants to Wonder Woman 786 and Trial of the Amazons: Wonder Girl 2:

A couple of the current Bana-Mighdall are immortal, namely the queens Atalanta and Faruka.

It's a little complicated because DC won't show any flashbacks to the original Amazon creation (because that would probably upend their whole precious daddy Zeus characterization ), but I think the idea is that the original Banas who left the original Amazons to form their own tribe are in fact still immortal, it's just that many of them have died from the many threats that exist out in Man's World, and so they've had to replenish their numbers by recruiting mortal women, who have eventually come to comprise the majority of the current Bana-Mighdall.

I assume the same is mostly true for the Esquecida as well.

Extraordinary Member Primal Slayer's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by BrianWilly View Post
    A couple of the current Bana-Mighdall are immortal, namely the queens Atalanta and Faruka.

It's a little complicated because DC won't show any flashbacks to the original Amazon creation (because that would probably upend their whole precious daddy Zeus characterization ), but I think the idea is that the original Banas who left the original Amazons to form their own tribe are in fact still immortal, it's just that many of them have died from the many threats that exist out in Man's World, and so they've had to replenish their numbers by recruiting mortal women, who have eventually come to comprise the majority of the current Bana-Mighdall.

I think Atalanta is the only remaining Themiscryian amongst the Bana. Faruka seems like she's not gifted. And with the Esquecida....thats complicated because WG made it seem like Yaras mother found a tribe that were similar to the Amazons but had no connection.

Whichever higher up at DC is insisting on keeping Daddy Zeus around needs to go already.

I know Geoff Johns is big on it and hes still got alot of pull on the media side

Wait really...Johns? With the huge mad-on he has for the Silver Age, I've never gotten the impression that he was all that impressed with anything from the New 52.

He was the creative director for DC for years and when he was writing Justice League he was the one who wanted to portray Diana as a sword swinging warrior and Steve as a handler who needed to keep her in line. His use of Cheetah in his run included him establishing Priscilla Rich, Deborah Domaine and 'Sebastiana Ballesteros' were false identities she used in the past and straight up made her a werewolf.

Yes he has a devotion and love to the silver age but if you look at his stories and see how often he casually kills off concepts and ideas he doesn't like or freely rewrites a concept that doesn't make a favorite of his look cool, then you run into a problem. He will do amazing things for Green Lantern because hes a fan of silver age Green Lantern. You don't see him ever saying anything positive about pre crisis Wonder Woman and it reflects in his usage of her in his run.

Heck, he wrote both Wonder Woman movies and theres more concepts pulled from post crisis and new 52 than anything else. Oh and that way he had Steve come back to life in the second movie is something hes pulled in the comics a few times but made it permanent

Wait really...Johns? With the huge mad-on he has for the Silver Age, I've never gotten the impression that he was all that impressed with anything from the New 52.
    Think Johns' Silver Age fanboy-ism tends to get exaggerated by his detractors. Though as Fuzzy Mittens brought up, I don't think he had any particular fondness for Wonder Woman beyond "she's a DC character", similar to Mark Waid.

Not sure if Daddy Zeus can be pinpointed on one particular person. I know writers like Gail Simone have brought up before there were people and writers at DC who genuinely didn't like or care for Wonder Woman, so New 52 would have finally been a way for many of them to create a version of Wonder Woman they'd want.

Astonishing Member WonderLight789's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Gaius View Post
    Think Johns' Silver Age fanboy-ism tends to get exaggerated by his detractors. Though as Fuzzy Mittens brought up, I don't think he had any particular fondness for Wonder Woman beyond "she's a DC character", similar to Mark Waid.

Not sure if Daddy Zeus can be pinpointed on one particular person. I know writers like Gail Simone have brought up before there were people and writers at DC who genuinely didn't like or care for Wonder Woman, so New 52 would have finally been a way for many of them to create a version of Wonder Woman they'd want.
    And who cares about them? None of the people that bash WW. Say she is difficult to write or to ''relate to''. None of them ever did anything to make WW the icon that she is. She has been a pop culture figure that a lot of people love, before most of these writers and editors were even born. She doesn't need them to ''fix her''. She needs them to stay away. With their limited vision about girl power. With their dated approach, sexism, prejudice, fear of exploring the radical aspects of her character that made her stand out in the first place. She needs those editors and writers to keep their bad writing and bias away from her.

Quote Originally Posted by Fuzzy Mittens View Post
    I know Geoff Johns is big on it and hes still got alot of pull on the media side
    Was it even his idea? I think "daughter of Zeus" just made more sense to the general public at large, than "made from clay and given life".

Quote Originally Posted by Castling View Post
    Was it even his idea? I think "daughter of Zeus" just made more sense to the general public at large, than "made from clay and given life".
    I think using 'made more sense to the general public' is a laughable reasoning when they kept things like
    'air force pilot was given a magic ring by a dying alien whose a space cop who was given his ring by a bunch of little blue aliens and now hes a space cop by right of succession and hes called green lantern because RINGS!'
    or 'so theres these gods who are called the new gods and their the fourth generations of these gods who are always on opposing sides and always fighting one another and the current generation live on new genesis and apokolips and they fight all the time and the kings of both sides traded off their kids and one became a stage magician escape artist living on Earth while the other became a super soldier out to kill his own dad~'

I could go on but comics in general don't have concepts that make sense to the 'general public' and yet they stubbornly cling to these concepts even when their adapted into movies. Weve had Wonder Womans clay origin for years and in adaptions in the past AND it was so simple it could be boiled down to a couple sentences.

As for whose idea it was for Wonder Woman its honestly hard to be certain since nobody has admitted to it. However when new 52 happened, Johns and Azzarello were the only ones writing anything with Wonder Woman initially and while Azzarello stated he was following orders, Johns was the creative director at the time which meant he was in the position to make calls like that. So he is a likely suspect.