Page 27 of 62 FirstFirst ... 1723242526272829303137 ... LastLast

And it's a cool cultural identifier. Whenever we see a woman in the Outside world wearing bracelets we know she is an amazon

Extraordinary Member Primal Slayer's Avatar

It'll be interesting to see the Bana's new return to Paradise compared to the first time

Without males, non-Amazons and even non-humans, ..there's a sameness, amongst the Wonders. Coming out of Trial Of The Amazons, I hope writers will break up or fix, somehow. Except for Cassie, they're all (or most of them) these huffy, gaudily armored Xena types - basically all the same character...

And it's boring.

Wonder Woman
    Col. Steve
    Troy
    Wonder Girls (Cassie and Yara)
    Artemis
    Queen Nubia
    Hercules (G. Perez's heroic ally)
    Fury (Diana's daughter from a parallel world)
    Shining Knight (Siegfried)
    Ferdinand the Taur
    Queen Desira of Venus (Diana's Golden Age companion)
    I Ching
    Mister Genie

Of the Wonder Family, ..FOUR - Yara, Qu. Nubia, Shining Knight, I Ching - are people-of-color. FOUR have been around, since the Golden Age. SIX are male - Col. Steve, Hercules, Shining Knight, Ferdinand, I Ching, Mister Genie. SEVEN - Col. Steve, Hercules (G. Perez's heroic ally), Shining Knight (Siggy), Ferdinand the Taur, Queen Desira of Venus (Diana's Golden Age companion), I Ching, Mister Genie - are NOT Amazons.

Etta Candy, Mala, the Amazons, the Candy Family, General Darnell, Queen Faruka and Phillipus are regular and recurring characters and non-costumed friends of the family. These characters can jump in and out of the action of a given story, to add complexity...break up the sameness. Watching a bunch of super-virtuous, perfectly beautiful, indestructible women jump out of windows and punch people through skyscrapers ..isn't that interesting, over the course of time.

Coming out of Trial Of The Amazons, with the prospect of new readers picking up Wonder Woman and Nubia And The Amazons, ..I think these little stylistic shortcomings are going to stand out, more than ever.
    Last edited by Mel Dyer; 03-06-2022 at 06:11 AM. Reason: content, style
    COMBINING THE BIGBADITUDE OF THANOS WITH CHEETAH'S FEROCITY, IS JANUS WONDER WOMAN'S GREATEST SUPERVILLAIN?...on WONDABUNGA!!! Look alive, Kangaliers!

Idk why Xena is used as a bad example lol. She wasn't a blood thirsty warrior once she turned sides lol.

Quote Originally Posted by Primal Slayer View Post
    Idk why Xena is used as a bad example lol. She wasn't a blood thirsty warrior once she turned sides lol.
    Well...except for Yara and Cassie, they're ALL Xena. It's a little tired. I'd like to see some conceptual diversity, among the Wonders, as with the Bats and the Team S.
    COMBINING THE BIGBADITUDE OF THANOS WITH CHEETAH'S FEROCITY, IS JANUS WONDER WOMAN'S GREATEST SUPERVILLAIN?...on WONDABUNGA!!! Look alive, Kangaliers!

Quote Originally Posted by Mel Dyer View Post
    Well...except for Yara and Cassie, they're ALL Xena. It's a little tired. I'd like to see some conceptual diversity, among the Wonders, as with the Bats and the Team S.
    Because they happen to fight? They are a civilization of warrior women who ultimately want to spread peace. Diana is different from Artemis who is different from Phillipus.

Incredible Member

Xena and Diana are both Greek women with a deep connection with Ares. That is the entirety of the comparison. Even the relationship each has with Ares is completely different.

Xena was also a very complex character and to call her "bloodthirsty" is either an admission that you only watched the commercials of Xena or the action scenes. Anyone who watched more than 3 episodes of Xena would know that "bloodthirsty" would be near the end of the list of characteristics for the character.

Spectacular Member

Most the people you cited are supporting cast members,not Wonder Woman family members

Quote Originally Posted by Access View Post
    Most the people you cited are supporting cast members,not Wonder Woman family members
    There are like 7 main Amazons now. Diana, Hippolyta, Artemis, Donna, Cassie, Yara, Nubia. They are all different from one another.

Quote Originally Posted by sifighter View Post
    The Nubia part-2 preview kind of reveals the spoiler now doesn’t it
    Yeah I’m wondering if she’ll actually stay dead or if she’ll be back by the end of the story.
    For when my rants on the forums just aren’t enough: https://thevindicativevordan.tumblr.com/

Without males, non-Amazons and even non-humans, ..there's a sameness, amongst the Wonders. Coming out of Trial Of The Amazons, I hope writers will break up or fix, somehow. Except for Cassie, they're all (or most of them) these huffy, gaudily armored Xena types - basically all the same character...

And it's boring.

Wonder Woman
    Col. Steve
    Troy
    Wonder Girls (Cassie and Yara)
    Artemis
    Queen Nubia
    Hercules (G. Perez's heroic ally)
    Fury (Diana's daughter from a parallel world)
    Shining Knight (Siegfried)
    Ferdinand the Taur
    Queen Desira of Venus (Diana's Golden Age companion)
    I Ching
    Mister Genie

Of the Wonder Family, ..FOUR - Yara, Qu. Nubia, Shining Knight, I Ching - are people-of-color. FOUR have been around, since the Golden Age. SIX are male - Col. Steve, Hercules, Shining Knight, Ferdinand, I Ching, Mister Genie. SEVEN - Col. Steve, Hercules (G. Perez's heroic ally), Shining Knight (Siggy), Ferdinand the Taur, Queen Desira of Venus (Diana's Golden Age companion), I Ching, Mister Genie - are NOT Amazons.

Etta Candy, Mala, the Amazons, the Candy Family, General Darnell, Queen Faruka and Phillipus are regular and recurring characters and non-costumed friends of the family. These characters can jump in and out of the action of a given story, to add complexity...break up the sameness. Watching a bunch of super-virtuous, perfectly beautiful, indestructible women jump out of windows and punch people through skyscrapers ..isn't that interesting, over the course of time.

Coming out of Trial Of The Amazons, with the prospect of new readers picking up Wonder Woman and Nubia And The Amazons, ..I think these little stylistic shortcomings are going to stand out, more than ever.
    Siegfried isn't a person of color and having more men than women isn't particularly innovative.

Siegfried (Shining Knight) is a hero of Germanic heroic legend, ..and, in the pages of Wonder Woman, he is depicted, as a brown-skinned proto-Indo-European ..or Indo-Aryan. Darker Indo-Aryans typically resemble dark Iranians or some East Indians. Indo-Aryans, like the Sigster, are classified, as non-white Caucasians, ..and they are also POC. I discussed and confirmed this on Twitter, with either Michael or Tamara.

There really are non-white Caucasians. Furthermore, some East Indians classify, as Southeast Asian AND Caucasian. Non-white Caucasians and non-white Southeast Asians are POC.

Before you listen to anymore divisive arguments on a comic book fan forum, like this one, ..read. Just read.
    Last edited by Mel Dyer; 03-07-2022 at 03:15 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Access View Post
    Could not disagree, with you, more. The WW comic really hasn't established who the Wonder Woman Family is.

There really is no Wonder Family, presently, ..as most of us understand superhero families, conceptually. Phil Jimenez made the retcon Fury and her daughter, Lyta, neither of whom are Amazons, ..residents of Paradise Island, ..but, are they Wonder Family? After Rucka's Rebirth arcs, I think most fans would include Ferdinand and Etta in the Wonder Family, ..and neither of them are Amazons. Is Steve, who's a dude, not an Amazon and not superhuman, ..generally accepted, as a Wonder Family member? Is Queen Faruka, who isn't a 'Wonder' girl or woman and just showed up, like a year ago, ..now taken to be a Wonder? We really haven't nailed this Wonder Woman Family concept down, ..because, since Kanigher left, the WW comic creative people haven't really bothered to consistently develop one.

Is the Wonder Family, exclusively Amazon or superhuman or Greek god-powered ..or female? We really don't know.

In the Fifties, Robert Kanigher made Mercury and Hercules, Diana's fairy godfathers. George Perez showed Hippolyta and the Olympian gods forgive him, for his crimes against the Amazons, ..after which he led the Amazons into battle, against the forces of Circe, in War Of The Gods. James Robinson made Hercules the superheroic protector of a Twin Peaksy town, in the American northwest. Now, if Wonder Woman is palling around with Circe, Silver Swan and Harley Quinn, ..all mass-murderers, ..Hercules AND Hermes should damn sure be Wonders, ..but are they?

Who is the Wonder Woman Family? When the Wonderverse is threatened, who shows up, ready to rumble? That's what Trial Of The Amazons, Michael W. Conrad and Becky Cloonan tell us, ..is supposed to settle, once and for all.
    Last edited by Mel Dyer; 03-07-2022 at 07:23 AM.

Fantastic Member VonHammersmark's Avatar

This thing is dead on arrival and there won’t be another WW event for another 20 years. Aside from Joelle Jones, none of these people moves the needle, nobody’s gonna buy this because, whoo-hoo, the creative team is made up of only women (and Michael Conrad). To hell with this nonsense

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by VonHammersmark View Post
    This thing is dead on arrival and there won’t be another WW event for another 20 years. Aside from Joelle Jones, none of these people moves the needle, nobody’s gonna buy this because, whoo-hoo, the creative team is made up of only women (and Michael Conrad). To hell with this nonsense
    I obviously don't know if this will be a success or not. However, DC did promote this during DC Fandome 2021 which got roughly 66 million views. They are also promoting it on the DC Youtube channel. All the regular comic book resources also seem to be promoting it, as well. I don't think it's necessarily DOA.