Page 47 of 62 FirstFirst ... 3743444546474849505157 ... LastLast
    Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by ohfellow View Post
    Wasn't that early in DC Rebirth, 2016, when Wonder Woman was coming out twice a month? Scott and Sharp alternated books, and there were 2 separate storylines. So I think the artists were each still trying to keep up with a book per month. There were a number of titles released at that pace, and the twice monthlies cost $2.99 rather than $3.99. Their stories might have been a couple of pages shorter.

I suppose it takes somewhat more than 4 weeks to pencil a book, so that alone would cause the occasional slip of a month - plus artists need time off for vacations and holidays. So they are going to need to skip a month every 4 to 6 issues.
    I was re-reading Rucka's Rebirth run, and another thing they did was trying to get artist with similar (though not identical) styles and keep the same colorist even when changing artist (for example, there's an issue drawn by Bilquis Evely instead of Nicola Scott that's still colored by the flashback's main colorist, Romulo Fajardo Jr) to create cohesion (which considering how important color is to finalize the iamge is not an unreasonable choice). Of course you need to find artist with styles that compliment each other in the first place, which is easier said than done.

By the way I know some people think Rucka's Rebirth run is inferior to his first one and, while I don't disagree, I've enjoyed it a lot.

Quote Originally Posted by Koriand'r View Post
    Controversial opinion but I think the various artists helped make Trial of the Amazons seem like a larger event. Sure I'd have loved it if Joelle Jones had drawn everything because her pages were head and shoulders above the rest and far more entertaining but the other artists provided a different perspective that made the story feel broader.
    That's also a valid opinion. Sometimes having different artist to show different perspectives can work very well to create an expansive world.

Personally I've enjoyed Trial as whole, though I'm still not sure whether I would have prefered more cohesion (not just in the artwork, mind you) or not. Events are always a double-edged sword.
    Last edited by Zagre; 04-21-2022 at 07:42 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Zagre View Post
    I was re-reading Rucka's Rebirth run, and another thing they did was trying to get artist with similar (though not identical) styles and keep the same colorist even when changing artist (for example, there's an issue drawn by Bilquis Evely instead of Nicola Scott that's still colored by the flashback's main colorist, Romulo Fajardo Jr) to create cohesion (which considering how important color is to finalize the iamge is not an unreasonable choice). Of course you need to find artist with styles that compliment each other in the first place, which is easier said than done.

By the way I know some people think Rucka's Rebirth run is inferior to his first one and, while I don't disagree, I've enjoyed it a lot.

That's also a valid opinion. Sometimes having different artist to show different perspectives can work very well to create an expansive world.

Personally I've enjoyed Trial as whole, though I'm still not sure whether I would have prefered more cohesion (not just in the artwork, mind you) or not. Events are always a double-edged sword.
    Cohesion? I'm sorry but I can't see how Nicola Scott and Bilquis Evely compliment each other. First off admittedly one I love and one I don't, but Nicola's linework is sharp and crisp while Bilquis' is a lot sketchier. (She must be a really nice lady that's great on social media because I swear I'm at a loss on why people like her art so much.) I can still remember how jarring her issue with the Chimera or whatever was from what came before.

Okay now I feel like a total butthole for disagreeing with you when you sort of agreed with me, but Bilquis Evely ugh! Maybe it's because I blame her for Circe's underwhelming Ellen DeGeneres look that keeps sticking around and won't go away.

I think comics should shift to a seasonal model like Saga. Each book would have a fixed creative team with a strong vision of where to take their characters. Of course a DC character can't afford a big break like Saga had recently, but when the book was taking shorter breaks between arcs, I think it was the best of two worlds. The book kept it's strong quality and the wait between arcs actually helped create buzz for new stories to arrive. It's the same with TV shows.
    And for popular characters like Wonder Woman, they could always have multiple series being worked on at the same time, focusing on different aspects.
    Each book could have around 8 issues a year and DC could launch each completed arc on DC Infinite as separate seasons, instead of having each issue arrive after a six months delay.

Extraordinary Member Primal Slayer's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Factor View Post
    I think comics should shift to a seasonal model like Saga. Each book would have a fixed creative team with a strong vision of where to take their characters. Of course a DC character can't afford a big break like Saga had recently, but when the book was taking shorter breaks between arcs, I think it was the best of two worlds. The book kept it's strong quality and the wait between arcs actually helped create buzz for new stories to arrive. It's the same with TV shows.
    And for popular characters like Wonder Woman, they could always have multiple series being worked on at the same time, focusing on different aspects.
    Each book could have around 8 issues a year and DC could launch each completed arc on DC Infinite as separate seasons, instead of having each issue arrive after a six months delay.
    That's been my thought for years and im surprised DC hasn't thought to do that. They need to get with the times.

This part wasn't for me at all. I liked the race back to the arena because it made for some good tension but the pay-off wasn't quite there and Cassie's dialogue was written quite obnoxiously. Together with some exaggerated expressions, it didn't feel genuine.

I'd really like an explanation for what Donna is doing before the end of this event because I still have no idea what her deal is.

While I don't mind Joelle Jones reusing art, it sometimes doesn't quite fit the tone or the angle of the panel and that becomes very noticeable in sequential art.

Quote Originally Posted by Primal Slayer View Post
    The "events" have been a lot more exicting on the covers nowadays then they have in the story that takes place in the interiors. War for E3....omg...the covers were 10x more exciting
    That is incredibly accurate.

Quote Originally Posted by Avi View Post
    I'd really like an explanation for what Donna is doing before the end of this event because I still have no idea what her deal is.
    Perhaps Donna's motivations for volunteering to become the Bana's champion was motivated by Hippolyta. There is a conspiracy leading up to this that involved Artemis and her secret meeting with Hippolyta and Atalanta. With Artemis otherwise occupied with her own task, maybe Donna was instructed to step in to take her place with the Bana's as part of a larger plan.

We already know that the reason that Donna was with the Esquecidas is because Hippolyta instructed Donna to bring back Cassie. This conversation/instruction between Hippolyta and Donna occurred off-panel so, it's quite possible that Artemis was not the only trusted ally who is part of the greater conspiracy and met with the former queen, in secret.

Author of the Instant New York Times bestselling novel, The Prophets, from G.P. Putnman's Sons.

Astonishing Member OBrianTallent's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Koriand'r View Post
    Cohesion? I'm sorry but I can't see how Nicola Scott and Bilquis Evely compliment each other. First off admittedly one I love and one I don't, but Nicola's linework is sharp and crisp while Bilquis' is a lot sketchier. (She must be a really nice lady that's great on social media because I swear I'm at a loss on why people like her art so much.) I can still remember how jarring her issue with the Chimera or whatever was from what came before.
    Evely's style is reminiscent of Mobius or other European artists, perhaps even a bit of Baroque style in there. There's a simplicity and delicateness in her work that some could say borders on plain.

Are those opening pages by Elena Casagrande? Now that Widow is finished, I would love to have her do a run on Wonder Woman.

Quote Originally Posted by OBrianTallent View Post
    Evely's style is reminiscent of Mobius or other European artists, perhaps even a bit of Baroque style in there. There's a simplicity and delicateness in her work that some could say borders on plain.

Are those opening pages by Elena Casagrande? Now that Widow is finished, I would love to have her do a run on Wonder Woman.
    I believe so! Her work is beautiful

"This isn't just your franchise anymore Diana!"

Extraordinary Member Primal Slayer's Avatar

Donna and that stupid scarf! lol. I just cant with it.

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    "This isn't just your franchise anymore Diana!"
    She should’ve said “Where y’all been all this time!?” Lol

Oh, now I want Casagrande as the regular WW artist. But knowing DC, she’d be there for 6 issues and replaced so she can draw a “bigger” book.