Page 52 of 62 FirstFirst ... 242484950515253545556 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Primal Slayer View Post
    Yeah...she had that one moment that was completely out of nowhere.
    It wasn't out of nowhere though.

The Tiar-mory proves this all happened.

pi.jpg

pl..jpg

pl...jpg

Besides that Furuka explained why Donna was the strategic choice as Bana champion.

Quote Originally Posted by John Venus View Post
    Are you telling me they teased a tournament arc and didn't actually give us a tournament arc?
    It was a fake out, a red herring for an Amazon murder mystery.

Extraordinary Member Dr. Poison's Avatar

Yeah...she had that one moment that was completely out of nowhere.

It wasn't out of nowhere. Donna made a connection with the Bana tribe during Phil Jimenez's run. Cloonrad even mentioned drawing inspiration from that run.
    Currently(or soon to be) Reading: Alan Scott: Green Lantern, Batman/Superman: World's Finest, Fire & Ice: Welcome to Smallville, Green Arrow, Green Lantern, Jay Garrick: The Flash, Justice Society of America, Power Girl, Superman, Shazam, Titans, Wesley Dodds: Sandman, Wonder Woman, & World's Finest: Teen Titans.

Still only crumbs...... BiteTheBullet's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Poison View Post
    It wasn't out of nowhere. Donna made a connection with the Bana tribe during Phil Jimenez's run. Cloonrad even mentioned drawing inspiration from that run.
    It depends on which Donna this is. Is it the one from Perez Teen Titans and then became Troia and whatever else they made of her? Or is it the one that originated from the Finch run? In one case, the Jimenez continuity would take precedence, in the other case it wouldn't. This is a direct result of DC saying that essentially everything is canon, just depends what the writer wants, continuity be damned!

Extraordinary Member Primal Slayer's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Koriand'r View Post

pi.jpg

pl..jpg

pl...jpg

Besides that Furuka explained why Donna was the strategic choice as Bana champion.
    If you have to pull up a comix from a decade ago after 50 reboots....its out of nowhere. Faruka didn't even exist. The bana already joined in the previous continuity(correct me if im remembering wrong)

Quote Originally Posted by BiteTheBullet View Post
    It depends on which Donna this is. Is it the one from Perez Teen Titans and then became Troia and whatever else they made of her? Or is it the one that originated from the Finch run? In one case, the Jimenez continuity would take precedence, in the other case it wouldn't. This is a direct result of DC saying that essentially everything is canon, just depends what the writer wants, continuity be damned!
    And the fact that they've barely done anything with Donna and can barely keep her consistent as is.

If you have to pull up a comix from a decade ago after 50 reboots....its out of nowhere. Faruka didn't even exist. The bana already joined in the previous continuity(correct me if im remembering wrong)
    It's an echo of past continuity that was fully explained. There are other past continuity echoes as well, like Diana stating Hippolyta decapitated the Echidna.

HIPPOLYTA Echidna-WWv2-13.jpg

That's not a Post-Rebirth circumstance, it happened several reboots ago but Diana still remembers it.

In the past Nubia guarded Doom's Doorway from the inside and ruled as Queen and its happened again in current continuity.

In the past Artemis trained Cassie and they have a similar relationship now because Artemis killing Hippolyta forced Cassie to step up and become a good detective.

Things are referenced and repeated but the details are different. The Tiar-mory shows that everything did indeed happen in past continuity (War of the Gods, Blackest Night, the New 52, Flashpoint, etc.) and Diana has access to tangible souvenirs from those adventures.

trials-c-1200x628.jpg

You can find that unacceptable and try to ignore it but that's still what happened.
    Last edited by Koriand'r; 04-28-2022 at 08:06 AM.

pi.jpg

pl..jpg

pl...jpg

Hmm! That is a great way to look at it, especially since they said Phil's Donna was their template.
    Author of the Instant New York Times bestselling novel, The Prophets, from G.P. Putnman's Sons.

I think it's one thing to base something off a prior continuity but for a character as inconsistently depicted as Donna and who has barely even been in the books for so long, and with continuity as murky as it is, I don't think you can just rely on that in an event to explain away probably the only major thing the character did in the story.

Quote Originally Posted by SonOfBaldwin View Post
    And how would that even be possible? Did that persona dissolve away when she was freed from the thrall of the Black Lanterns? Also, wasn't it silver, not gold?
    Think it's mainly just easter eggs for fans, not meant to be taken at face value. Like when artists try to shove in all their favorite versions of the Batmobiles when they draw the Batcave.

It's an echo of past continuity that was fully explained. There are other past continuity echoes as well, like Diana stating Hippolyta decapitated the Echidna.

HIPPOLYTA Echidna-WWv2-13.jpg

That's not a Post-Rebirth circumstance, it happened several reboots ago but Diana still remembers it.

In the past Nubia guarded Doom's Doorway from the inside and ruled as Queen and its happened again in current continuity.

In the past Artemis trained Cassie and they have a similar relationship now because Artemis killing Hippolyta forced Cassie to step up and become a good detective.

Things are referenced and repeated but the details are different. The Tiar-mory shows that everything did indeed happen in past continuity (War of the Gods, Blackest Night, the New 52, Flashpoint, etc.) and Diana has access to tangible souvenirs from those adventures.

trials-c-1200x628.jpg

You can find that unacceptable and try to ignore it but that's still what happened.
    These are cutesy easter eggs and references not reasons for current character motivations.
    Zaldrīzes Buzdari Iksos Daor

Quote Originally Posted by masterwitcher88 View Post
    These are cutesy easter eggs and references not reasons for current character motivations.
    D.C. Keeps saying "it all happened" and writers can pick and choose from where to draw from for current continuity. This is proof.

D.C. Keeps saying "it all happened" and writers can pick and choose from where to draw from for current continuity. This is proof.
    That doesn't mean it works from an execution standpoint.

As with most DC writers these days, continuity is a fluid thing and at the whim of the writer. It's been problematic since the first Crisis and became a complete cluster after nu52. At this point, who knows what the heck continuity means anymore. I appreciate the writers picking up threads from previous writers and using that to build upon Wonder Woman mythos. If it's not linear from a nu52 forward and goes back to pre-Crisis or later, who cares, as long as it's enjoyable.

I'm going to take the unpopular view that I happened to enjoy the story. Was it perfect, no. Overall, we got Nubia, Cassie, Donna, and Artemis as well as some favorite Amazons in one story, a set up to have a major change in the Amazon's status quo, new things such as the War Chest of Nike, and a formal passing of the torch to the Wondergirl name. Sure DC has a ways to go to show the fans that they respect Wonder Woman as one of the big three but, having a crossover with all the major WW players was a nice step in that direction. I bought every issue because, I want to show support for the artists and writers and show DC that WW is a book worth investing in.

Still only crumbs...... BiteTheBullet's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by donnafan View Post
    As with most DC writers these days, continuity is a fluid thing and at the whim of the writer. It's been problematic since the first Crisis and became a complete cluster after nu52. At this point, who knows what the heck continuity means anymore. I appreciate the writers picking up threads from previous writers and using that to build upon Wonder Woman mythos. If it's not linear from a nu52 forward and goes back to pre-Crisis or later, who cares, as long as it's enjoyable.

I'm going to take the unpopular view that I happened to enjoy the story. Was it perfect, no. Overall, we got Nubia, Cassie, Donna, and Artemis as well as some favorite Amazons in one story, a set up to have a major change in the Amazon's status quo, new things such as the War Chest of Nike, and a formal passing of the torch to the Wondergirl name. Sure DC has a ways to go to show the fans that they respect Wonder Woman as one of the big three but, having a crossover with all the major WW players was a nice step in that direction. I bought every issue because, I want to show support for the artists and writers and show DC that WW is a book worth investing in.
    I submit that there should never have been a 'passing of the torch'. Cassie and Donna, whichever one, should have the Wondergirl moniker. Yara has done nothing to get this title, and the sequence of Diana and her talking about her now being Wondergirl was one of the more cringier things I have seen. Why would Diana even suggest that this 'mantle' of Wondergirl be given to Yara, what about Cassie or Donna. Seems way out of character for Diana. DC will definitely not be getting money from me on the trade paperback for this drivel.

So, again, who won the trial, was anyone really shocked that Hippolyta died or that Artemis killed her? How many more tribes of Amazons are their, and when will we see the new ones? When the writers get writers block and say their is another tribe? Amazing how we never heard of this 3rd tribe until Yara came about.