Page 53 of 62 FirstFirst ... 343495051525354555657 ... LastLast

Yes we did. The first mention of the Brazillian tribe was in the Steve Orlando annual in August 2020

Quote Originally Posted by Alpha View Post
    Yes we did. The first mention of the Brazillian tribe was in the Steve Orlando annual in August 2020
    Not only that, Perez stated clearly there were possibly more Amazon tribes back in the 80's. It took 30 years for us to find one.

Quote Originally Posted by BiteTheBullet View Post
    I submit that there should never have been a 'passing of the torch'. Cassie and Donna, whichever one, should have the Wondergirl moniker. Yara has done nothing to get this title, and the sequence of Diana and her talking about her now being Wondergirl was one of the more cringier things I have seen. Why would Diana even suggest that this 'mantle' of Wondergirl be given to Yara, what about Cassie or Donna. Seems way out of character for Diana. DC will definitely not be getting money from me on the trade paperback for this drivel.

So, again, who won the trial, was anyone really shocked that Hippolyta died or that Artemis killed her? How many more tribes of Amazons are their, and when will we see the new ones? When the writers get writers block and say their is another tribe? Amazing how we never heard of this 3rd tribe until Yara came about.
    Yes I was shocked! Who expected Artemis? I didn't, and I want to know why and how it was done. Her escape from Themyscira is also a mystery, as is what's going on with her hands in her last scene.

This event was great and brought together the pieces of lots of Amazon lore. If the whole thing was just the meeting between Yara Flor and Diana that would have been enough, but it was so much more. It was also a jumping on point for the further adventures of Nubia and Artemis but some readers are too busy looking a gift horse in the mouth to appreciate it.

Quote Originally Posted by Koriand'r View Post
    D.C. Keeps saying "it all happened" and writers can pick and choose from where to draw from for current continuity. This is proof.
    That's not my argument, "it all happened" sure ok, that's fine. That doesn't mean that characters can just switch sides on a whim or act out of character in continuity because that's to reference to an older run.
    Zaldrīzes Buzdari Iksos Daor

I was NOT shocked that it was Artemis, we been known since the preview parts of this story that occurred in the Wonder girl and Nubia titles. Hippolyta, Antiope, and Atalanta had that secret meeting WITH Artemis to plan something before the trial. And big shocker three of those four amazons are now out of the picture. Why and how should have been alluded to or hinted at in the story.

Frankly I'm a bit ticked off with the bait and switch into a murder mystery. I was promised a trial and it lasted all of an issue, less than that because we had suddenly lost all the natural tension once everyone fell in the hole. We also lost a massive opportunity to have Chaos as this genderless and formless being. Like, Chaos is not supposed to have a gender, they are beyond gender, but they referred to them as him. They could have done so much with Chaos but like there was no room for them, why were they here? They weren't a threat I'm sorry but like that was a waste to me. I still don't know who the overarching antagonist was. I really think that this could have been just the three tribes and the natural animosity that having the three of them being in one location should have caused. Heck, we could have explored why Donna joined the Bana or the Escisita trying to figure out who could match Donna or worse Diana and Nubia if they were picked as champions. I also think there should have been an actual overarching trial, with actual stakes. I also would have preferred a more mature ending.
    Zaldrīzes Buzdari Iksos Daor

Extraordinary Member Primal Slayer's Avatar

It's an echo of past continuity that was fully explained. There are other past continuity echoes as well, like Diana stating Hippolyta decapitated the Echidna.

Attachment 120602

That's not a Post-Rebirth circumstance, it happened several reboots ago but Diana still remembers it.

In the past Nubia guarded Doom's Doorway from the inside and ruled as Queen and its happened again in current continuity.

In the past Artemis trained Cassie and they have a similar relationship now because Artemis killing Hippolyta forced Cassie to step up and become a good detective.

Things are referenced and repeated but the details are different. The Tiar-mory shows that everything did indeed happen in past continuity (War of the Gods, Blackest Night, the New 52, Flashpoint, etc.) and Diana has access to tangible souvenirs from those adventures.

Attachment 120603

You can find that unacceptable and try to ignore it but that's still what happened.
    It was an echo that wasnt explained or referenced to AT ALL in Trials of the Amazon. Donnas relationship with the Bana is not the same as a monster that Hippolyta previously faced. We know that Hippolyta has faced plenty of monsters so its not really questionable. Donna having all of 2 sentences however doesnt make any sense to readers who have joined since New52 and everything has been rebooted. It was poor writing on their part.

The Tiar-mory is an easteregg thing and fun throwaway for fans, it adds nothing to the story like Donna was supposed to.

Quote Originally Posted by Gaius View Post
    Think it's mainly just easter eggs for fans, not meant to be taken at face value. Like when artists try to shove in all their favorite versions of the Batmobiles when they draw the Batcave.
    Someone else above you said the same thing. Noted. And thank you!
    Author of the Instant New York Times bestselling novel, The Prophets, from G.P. Putnman's Sons.

Yes I was shocked! Who expected Artemis? I didn't, and I want to know why and how it was done. Her escape from Themyscira is also a mystery, as is what's going on with her hands in her last scene.

This event was great and brought together the pieces of lots of Amazon lore. If the whole thing was just the meeting between Yara Flor and Diana that would have been enough, but it was so much more. It was also a jumping on point for the further adventures of Nubia and Artemis but some readers are too busy looking a gift horse in the mouth to appreciate it.
    I don’t know about you, but I paid for my issues- so, not so much a gift, right?

It’s fine if you enjoyed the crossover at face value & it was a great concept, but it was very poorly executed. It suffered from slapdash artwork and very hacky plotting and writing. There is really no need to snark on those who want to discuss & try to make sense out of it. Especially since we all presumably spent good money on this too.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by BiteTheBullet View Post
    I submit that there should never have been a 'passing of the torch'. Cassie and Donna, whichever one, should have the Wondergirl moniker. Yara has done nothing to get this title, and the sequence of Diana and her talking about her now being Wondergirl was one of the more cringier things I have seen. Why would Diana even suggest that this 'mantle' of Wondergirl be given to Yara, what about Cassie or Donna. Seems way out of character for Diana. DC will definitely not be getting money from me on the trade paperback for this drivel.
    I actually loved it. It was one of the most fun bits of dialogue I've read in a WW book in a long time (other than Yara's book, of course, which I also loved). I loved the fact that Diana straight up said she's not used to dealing with women like Yara, which is a fact that made it even more fun.

I've noticed I've tended to like characters or directions that tend to shake things up in the WW verse, so I can see how my tastes run contrary to the "traditional" WW reader. XD
    Keep in mind that you have about as much chance of changing my mind as I do of changing yours.

Jax City/Kill The FIremen

You know, when you think about. Black & Gold kinda spoiled Artemis. A lot of the early issues put her into the role of an antagonist. Which I thought was weird, but now it makes sense.

Quote Originally Posted by phonogram12 View Post
    I actually loved it. It was one of the most fun bits of dialogue I've read in a WW book in a long time (other than Yara's book, of course, which I also loved). I loved the fact that Diana straight up said she's not used to dealing with women like Yara, which is a fact that made it even more fun.

I've noticed I've tended to like characters or directions that tend to shake things up in the WW verse, so I can see how my tastes run contrary to the "traditional" WW reader. XD
    I like how Yara Flor got officially sanctioned and entitled by Diana in way that Donna and Cassie never did, yet Yara still looked at it askance. She has a lot of personality. The question about Robins was laugh our loud funny and cemented her as the irreverantly comical Wonder in the Family.

I want to see her interact with Artemis more, they'll either love or hate each other. Hopefully it's the former after a knock down, drag out, fight between the two that Artemis wins. I enjoy a good shake up too.

Quote Originally Posted by Primal Slayer View Post
    It was an echo that wasnt explained or referenced to AT ALL in Trials of the Amazon. Donnas relationship with the Bana is not the same as a monster that Hippolyta previously faced. We know that Hippolyta has faced plenty of monsters so its not really questionable. Donna having all of 2 sentences however doesnt make any sense to readers who have joined since New52 and everything has been rebooted. It was poor writing on their part.

The Tiar-mory is an easteregg thing and fun throwaway for fans, it adds nothing to the story like Donna was supposed to.
    It added everything to the story. I think you're focusing on the wrong things and that's making you dislike the Trials. The Tiar-mory, the War Chest of Nike, the Amazon Embassy, the magic spheres launched into space so all Amazons everywhere can communicate with each other, the meta map of Paradise Island that Yara read to get acquainted with Themysicra, the costume changes, the return of Reformation Island, these are the things that made the Trials so much fun.

It was all about character interactions and fleshing out the world of the Amazons, not another Contest that we've seen done so often before. Everyone got their moment to shine yet noone took the spotlight off Wonder Woman, who showed why she's the star of the franchise.

It really was a great event and with the upcoming one shots it's not really over.
    Last edited by Koriand'r; 04-29-2022 at 10:15 AM.

Still only crumbs...... BiteTheBullet's Avatar

I like how Yara Flor got officially sanctioned and entitled by Diana in way that Donna and Cassie never did, yet Yara still looked at it askance. She has a lot of personality. The question about Robins was laugh our loud funny and cemented her as the irreverantly comical Wonder in the Family.

I want to see her interact with Artemis more, they'll either love or hate each other. Hopefully it's the former after a knock down, drag out, fight between the two that Artemis wins. I enjoy a good shake up too.
    If Yara has powers that make her a formidable person, why would Artemis even be able to take her on? Artemis, is at worst an olympic level athlete, at best, slightly stronger than most humans, but that shouldn't put her in the same league as Yara, who still, at this point, has hazily defined powers.

Ok DC all these Donna.Artemis.Cassie never got Tiara but Yarrrrrrrrra get's an Tiara my favorite sayn is Make it Make sense.

Quote Originally Posted by warzon View Post
    Ok DC all these Donna.Artemis.Cassie never got Tiara but Yarrrrrrrrra get's an Tiara my favorite sayn is Make it Make sense.
    Artemis has a tiara of sorts and maybe Donna and Cassie don't want one. Unlike Diana or Luke Cage everyone can't pull off a tiara, I seem to remember Power Girl trying and failing.