Page 58 of 62 FirstFirst ... 848545556575859606162 LastLast

I can't see how Donna, Diana and Cassie are all written the exact same way. And that's before you get into how inconsistently the characters are written. If a WW book has characters with no nuance and differences, that is considered a bad run.

Isn't the whole point of Cassie that she's trying to emulate Diana cause she's a huge fangirl on top of being her sidekick but there is pull back from a more head strong teenage girl persona?

How is that lacing nuance or differences?
    Zaldrīzes Buzdari Iksos Daor

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post
    I can't see how Donna, Diana and Cassie are all written the exact same way. And that's before you get into how inconsistently the characters are written. If a WW book has characters with no nuance and differences, that is considered a bad run.
    I wasn't claiming Cassie was like Donna and Diana, I was saying that she sounds like a lot of other teenage girls in comics. She doesn't really have a unique voice or point of view. I still love her though, specially in the 90s.

As far as Donna, she and Diana do in fact sound the same quite often. The Phil Jimenez run is a great example of that (I still love that man's work with Wondie none the less).

Or think about when Donna became Wonder Woman briefly after Infinite Crisis. It was impossible to tell it was someone else.

Quote Originally Posted by Alpha View Post
    I wasn't claiming Cassie was like Donna and Diana, I was saying that she sounds like a lot of other teenage girls in comics. She doesn't really have a unique voice or point of view. I still love her though, specially in the 90s.

As far as Donna, she and Diana do in fact sound the same quite often. The Phil Jimenez run is a great example of that (I still love that man's work with Wondie none the less).

Or think about when Donna became Wonder Woman briefly after Infinite Crisis. It was impossible to tell it was someone else.
    Donna didn't sound or act like Diana under Jiminez's pen and she wasn't anything like Diana for the 2 seconds she was WW. Unless you're talking about how they were drawn alike by the Dodsons.

Saying Cassie is like other teenage girls in comics isn't saying much when comics often write characters from similar or identical comics in the same way. You're basically holding the WW cast to a standard very few characters live up to.

Donna didn't sound or act like Diana under Jiminez's pen and she wasn't anything like Diana for the 2 seconds she was WW. Unless you're talking about how they were drawn alike by the Dodsons.
    How were they different from each other in either stories?

Saying Cassie is like other teenage girls in comics isn't saying much when comics often write characters from similar or identical comics in the same way. You're basically holding the WW cast to a standard very few characters live up to.
    This started with people claiming Yara Flor didn't have a personality. I mentioned that she has as much of a personality as any pther Wonder Woman character and pointed to Cassie as an example of how the Wonder Woman characters follow basic molds and don't add much nuance or distinctness

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by masterwitcher88 View Post
    Isn't the whole point of Cassie that she's trying to emulate Diana cause she's a huge fangirl on top of being her sidekick but there is pull back from a more head strong teenage girl persona?

How is that lacing nuance or differences?
    I mean, if the Ms. Marvel trailer has shown us anything, it's that you can still be a huge fangirl and try and emulate your idol while still having a personality noticeably distinct from the person you're trying to emulate. And they managed that in all of a minute and forty-seven seconds.
    Keep in mind that you have about as much chance of changing my mind as I do of changing yours.

Extraordinary Member Primal Slayer's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by phonogram12 View Post
    I mean, if the Ms. Marvel trailer has shown us anything, it's that you can still be a huge fangirl and try and emulate your idol while still having a personality noticeably distinct from the person you're trying to emulate. And they managed that in all of a minute and forty-seven seconds.
    Good thing that Cassies personality is nothing like Dianas.

This started with people claiming Yara Flor didn't have a personality.
    Nope.

Said I didn't find her interesting and that she was a bore. She has a personality, I just don't find her engaging. It's called a matter of preference.

With that clarified, can we please move on from this topic?

How were they different from each other in either stories?

I would still like an answer to this but it's up to you if you'd rather move on

Incredible Member

I wanted to hear some opinions before looking into reading this storyline. I'm not up on current events honestly...are you guys enjoying Trial of the Amazons?

I personally don't want to see Hippolyta die again, if that plays a part in this...

Overall - is it a classic arc? A fair attempt? Meh?

Quote Originally Posted by DisneyBoy View Post
    I wanted to hear some opinions before looking into reading this storyline. I'm not up on current events honestly...are you guys enjoying Trial of the Amazons?

I personally don't want to see Hippolyta die again, if that plays a part in this...

It's Classic. It's a must read if you're a Wonder Woman fan if only to criticize it like so many are doing.

tri·​al | \ ˈtrī(-ə)l \

1: the formal examination before a competent tribunal of the matter in issue in a civil or criminal cause in order to determine such issue

: a preliminary contest (as in a sport)
    : a tryout or experiment to test quality, value, or usefulness

2: made or done as a test or experiment

I think people heard the title "Trial of the Amazons" and automatically expected an Amazon Contest like we've seen so often before, but this was a different kind of test. DC wanted to test the viability of Wonder Woman's corner of their universe and see fan reaction and in that sense we've failed. Apparently they're getting another rejection.

Quote Originally Posted by Koriand'r View Post
    It's Classic. It's a must read if you're a Wonder Woman fan if only to criticize it like so many are doing.

tri·​al | \ ˈtrī(-ə)l \

1: the formal examination before a competent tribunal of the matter in issue in a civil or criminal cause in order to determine such issue

: a preliminary contest (as in a sport)
    : a tryout or experiment to test quality, value, or usefulness

2: made or done as a test or experiment

I think people heard the title "Trial of the Amazons" and automatically expected an Amazon Contest like we've seen so often before, but this was a different kind of test. DC wanted to test the viability of Wonder Woman's corner of their universe and see fan reaction and in that sense we've failed. Apparently they're getting another rejection.
    If DC puts out something fans don't like, it is DC who has failed. Fans aren't to blame for this anymore than when Amazons Attack came out. If they wanted a WW event fans could get behind, maybevthey should have tried putting in sone actual effort into it instead of expecting people to lap it up just because it has Diana in it. There's a reason you aren't seeing these complaints about Historia for example.
    Last edited by Agent Z; 05-08-2022 at 12:52 AM.

If DC puts out something fans don't like, it is DC who has failed. Fans aren't to blame for this anymore than when Amazons Attack came out. If they wanted a WW event fans could get behind, maybevthey should have tried putting in sone actual effort into it instead of expecting people to lap it up just because it has Diana in it. There's a reason you aren't seeing these complaints about Historia for example.
    We're not allowed to complain about Historia, it's Phil. This is very different. This is literally the Trial of the Amazons. There's never before been three in canon books at one time featuring Wonder Woman's world and this is D.C.'s first attempt at crossing them over and growing her brand further. With the reception it's gotten, much of it unmerrited ("the story didn't go the way I wanted it to so I don't like it") they'd be right to think "why bother?". I want them to bother. I want them to know she's worthy of a crossover because I want more, but at this rate we won't be getting it.

Quote Originally Posted by DisneyBoy View Post

I wasn't able to read every issue but It seems like I didn't miss anything big in the story. I wiuld say that the story is missable. Most of all, nothing cool happens. And they never really do anything interesting about ecploring the dillemas and experiences if the various tribes.