Extraordinary Member

Default Monkey Prince #0

Monkey Prince #0 (Free)
    Writer: Gene Luen Yang
    Artist: Bernard Chang

Really interested in this. I’ve always found Chinese mythology interesting.
    T'Challa
    A.K.A. The Black Panther
    King of Wakanda
    King of the Dead and The Champion of Bast
    Two-Time Time Magazine "Person Of The Year"
    Six-Time People Magazine "Sexiest Man Alive"

oh, I think I'm gonna like this series. I like the art but I do wish they went with something a little more striking tho; which is weird because I typically very much dig Chang's art.
    Last edited by lemonpeace; 10-16-2021 at 07:48 PM.
    THE SIGNAL (Duke Thomas) is DC's secret shonen protagonist so I made him a fandom wiki

also, check out "The Signal Tape" a Duke Thomas fan project.

currently following:
    • DC: Red Hood: The Hill
    • Marvel: TBD
    • Manga (Shonen/Seinen): One Piece, My Hero, Dandadan, Jujutsu Kaisen, Kaiju No. 8, Reincarnation of The Veteran Soldier, Oblivion Rouge, ORDEAL, The Breaker: Eternal Force

"power does not corrupt, power always reveals."

So...flashback with Barda and the Furies, as well as shirtless Darkseid and movie Steppenwolf.

I wonder if Yang will fit in the Justice League of China in this book at some point.

Astonishing Member

Took longer than it arguably should have, but the good thing is that this is now here, and a (pretty much) guaranteed 12 issues, at that.

Gene Luen Yang is awesome, of course, so I know he's got this. And not gonna lie, I'd be more than happy to see the incorporation of the Justice League of China in any capacity along the way.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by lemonpeace View Post
    oh, I think I'm gonna like this series. I like the art but I do wish they went with something a little more striking tho; which is weird because I typically very dig much Chang's art.
    When you say "striking" what do you mean?

Quote Originally Posted by J. D. Guy View Post
    When you say "striking" what do you mean?
    I feel like Chang's art in this style is good but it doesn't hold my attention or sticking in the mind for some reason. maybe it's the coloring but I feel like it's missing something.
    THE SIGNAL (Duke Thomas) is DC's secret shonen protagonist so I made him a fandom wiki

also, check out "The Signal Tape" a Duke Thomas fan project.

currently following:
    • DC: Red Hood: The Hill
    • Marvel: TBD
    • Manga (Shonen/Seinen): One Piece, My Hero, Dandadan, Jujutsu Kaisen, Kaiju No. 8, Reincarnation of The Veteran Soldier, Oblivion Rouge, ORDEAL, The Breaker: Eternal Force

"power does not corrupt, power always reveals."

This can be great, there is so many characters in "The Journey to the West" alone to adapt into a supporting cast for this book (i'm seeing some here in the preview).
    DC: Dick Grayson, Wally West, Donna Troy, Yara Flor, Titans

Some of my favorite Mangas: One Piece, Slam Dunk, Fullmetal Alchemist, HunterXHunter, Vinland Saga, Monster, Berserk, Vagabond.
    Current reading: Jujutsu Kaisen, Chainsaw Man, Spy X Family, Kaiju Nș8, Blue Lock, Dandadan.

Quote Originally Posted by Drako View Post
    This can be great, there is so many characters in "The Journey to the West" alone to adapt into a supporting cast for this book (i'm seeing some here in the preview).
    True. I’m really hoping this guy becomes a mainstay in the DCU. There’s a lot that can be done with Chinese mythology.
    T'Challa
    A.K.A. The Black Panther
    King of Wakanda
    King of the Dead and The Champion of Bast
    Two-Time Time Magazine "Person Of The Year"
    Six-Time People Magazine "Sexiest Man Alive"

Huh, I thought that last page Darkseid reveal in Batman/Superman was in some way building towards Williamson's big event, but Darkseid being here makes me think that we'll get archivist's footage here as well. Very pleasant surprise.

Quote Originally Posted by HsssH View Post
    Huh, I thought that last page Darkseid reveal in Batman/Superman was in some way building towards Williamson's big event, but Darkseid being here makes me think that we'll get archivist's footage here as well. Very pleasant surprise.
    And he's shirtless...

Extraordinary Member Restingvoice's Avatar

Oh it's a miscolor... weird... because they got it right in the first panel he appeared

Loved this! Really looking forward to this series and it’ll be cool to see Chinese mythology explored in the DCU. Damn, Darkseid took out the leaders of a pantheon with one blast of Omega Beams. Now that’s a feat!

I really hope Shazam shows up. I really liked their interaction in Monkey Prince’s first appearance. They’re kind of a natural team up.

Incredible Member

Nice that this is finally coming out. Looking forward to this.

Didn't pick up the anthology this guy first appeared in, but Journey to the West is a classic and I'm very intrigued by how its cast may be adapted to the DCU.

Yang is a fantastic writer, so unless editorial totally screws him over (like his first Superman run) this should be a damn fine piece of fiction.

Looking forward to the first issue!
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.