BANNED

Default Galadriel(LOTR) VS Saint Celestine(WH40K)

Like it says on the tin. Two of the most lethal woman warriors go head to head on the hallowed sands of Khazan:

From the 41st Millennium, the living saint of the Seroritas: Saint Celestine herself.

And, from the Third Age, a princess of the Noldor and the Lady of the Wood: Galadriel.

Who walks away from this one?

I'm wanting to give this to Celestine with the caveat i am a little unfamiliar with Galadriel's combat feats. The reason i say this is range game. Celestine as grenades, a jet pack and a power sword that fires psi blasts.

But having done a little research i have say i think Galadriels incredible Silmarillion feats carry the day.

The Weeping Mod Sharpandpointies's Avatar

Galadriel is somewhat short on feats. We do have some stuff for her to demonstrate her overall power level, though.

1. Back in the day, she was one hell of an athlete.

Quote Originally Posted by JRRT
    she grew to be tall beyond the measure even of the women of the Noldor; she was strong of body, mind, and will, a match for both the loremasters and the athletes of the Eldar in the days of their youth.
    So, Tolkien uses the term 'Eldar', here (rather than 'Noldor'), when he discusses her being a match for the athletes. Since she's in Valinor, that would include the Vanyar elves, who by all accounts kind of make the Noldor look at them nervously, sidelong, when it comes to 'fighting'. She's physically fairly up there for First Age Eldar. Without feats I wouldn't say she's Fingolfin or anything, but beyond human capacity? Sure, and pretty easily (given a youngster Sindarin elf who never saw the light of the Trees can grab an arrow from a quiver and nock it so fast it's invisible to human eyes).

2. She strives with Sauron, mentally, over long periods, and holds him off. Sauron being a guy who mentally controls entire armies of orcs.

3. Her mastery of what the Eldar would consider 'Art and/or Engineering' and what humans would consider 'Magic', is pretty high. She makes items of power that show the future, as an example. Combat-wise, Galadriel is stated to have entered Dol Guldur and 'thrown down its walls'. Dol Guldur was Sauron's summer cottage (fortress) in Mirkwood, not some little hut, and it seems she basically blew it up. This is unsurprising, as she learned from the Valar and Maiar in Valinor, and from Melian (one of the more powerful Maia) in Doriath during the First Age.

4. Thanks to her Ring and her own personal might, she holds off the ravages of time from Lothlórien.

Tolkien names her the 'greatest' of the Noldor in his essays, and states that after the Second Age she's the mightiest of the Eldar remaining in Middle Earth (which also says something of note regarding Gil-Galad, but we're not talking about him here).

How this stacks up against high-end people from 40k, I have no idea, and I would be interested in hearing other feats people have dug up for Galadriel. Book ones. Not...Plutonium Galadriel from the movies.
    Last edited by Sharpandpointies; 10-18-2021 at 05:00 AM.
    Why are we here?

"Superboy Prime (the yelling guy if he needs clarification)..." - Postmania
    "...dropping an orca whale made of fire on your enemies is a pretty strong opening move." - Nik
    "Why throw punches when you can be making everyone around you sterile mutant corpses?" - Pendaran, regarding Dr. Fate

Astonishing Member

Just stopping by to comment that I like the mental image of Galadriel just tearing down Dol Guldur's walls with her bare hands like the Hulk.

Quote Originally Posted by wjowski View Post
    Just stopping by to comment that I like the mental image of Galadriel just tearing down Dol Guldur's walls with her bare hands like the Hulk.
    O_o

Something I had not considered, but hey, given how hard her uncle hits...
    Why are we here?

"...dropping an orca whale made of fire on your enemies is a pretty strong opening move." - Nik
    "Why throw punches when you can be making everyone around you sterile mutant corpses?" - Pendaran, regarding Dr. Fate

Quote Originally Posted by Sharpandpointies View Post
    O_o

Something I had not considered, but hey, given how hard her uncle hits...

That is the impression i got, that she tore it down with her own power. That beats anything i can recall Celestine doing.

Quote Originally Posted by Muadib View Post
    That is the impression i got, that she tore it down with her own power. That beats anything i can recall Celestine doing.
    I was more thinking her 'magic', as humans would name it (to which the Eldar would just say 'no, that's just perfectly natural skill, whatareyoutalkingabout?'). Not her bare hands.
    Why are we here?

Astonishing Member

I was more thinking her 'magic', as humans would name it (to which the Eldar would just say 'no, that's just perfectly natural skill, whatareyoutalkingabout?'). Not her bare hands.
    If I saw someone ripping down stone walls with their bare hands I'd sure as heck think it was magic.

Punch Mage.
    Yeah, but if you... man, we're getting into weird analogy territory, like if you disintegrated Superman's arms he wouldn't be able to go "fool! Little did you know that my arms and I are one and can be remade from me!" and will his arms back into being from pure nothingness. - Pendaran

Arx Inosaan

Quote Originally Posted by Cthulhu_of_R'lyeh View Post
    Punch Mage.
    Nah, she just walks through the wall, making a new doorway.