Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: DC Fandoms 2021

Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post
    Will have to be something they commit to everywhere otherwise it will backslide.
    If it starts popping up in every media adaption, especially say My Adventures or SM&L, I think they'll be able to lock it in.

Quote Originally Posted by Marko Lane View Post
    In regarding to everything Superman related, I was thrilled about;

Seeing Bitsie, Tyler & Alex. Did they show a tease for S2, because if they did I missed it.
    I really love the new motto for Superman. " For Truth, justice and a better tomorrow"
    Excited for MAWS, and to see Clark, Lois & Jimmy working together. I still hold out hope for a comic of them, where the focus is more on Clark and his reporting & romance with Lois, and his friendship with Jimmy.
    Super-Sons in a movie together.
    Young Justice S4
    Unfortunately no, no teaser or info for S2 just a tour of the Kent family house.
    Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    If it starts popping up in every media adaption, especially say My Adventures or SM&L, I think they'll be able to lock it in.
    Yeah those two are the first chance to start using it, but I dunno if either will. S&L has a lot of guys who seem to be fans of the Triangle Era so they might not want to use it. MAWS though is absolutely going to use it if anything will. But there’s going to be a transition period so I wouldn’t be surprised if there’s references to the old motto in the Suicide Squad game for example.
    For when my rants on the forums just aren’t enough: https://thevindicativevordan.tumblr.com/

Already prefer "better tomorrow." The logic behind "american way" part of the slogan was always pretty flimsy since he's a global hero. And Fox news is the last institution that has a right to lecture anyone on patriotism.

Unfortunately no, no teaser or info for S2 just a tour of the Kent family house.
    It's a nice looking house, but I wanted more...
    Quote Originally Posted by OpaqueGiraffe17 View Post
    Already prefer "better tomorrow." The logic behind "american way" part of the slogan was always pretty flimsy since he's a global hero. And Fox news is the last institution that has a right to lecture anyone on patriotism.
    I think it eventually evolved into being like Captain America where it's "The American Way" as far as ideals and not necessarily American policy.

Superfan Through The Ages BBally's Avatar

Nah there was a lot

-MAWS concept art and a promo image along with news that it and TCC have been pushed back to 2023 sadly
    -Super-Sons CGI movie is coming in 2022, a direct to DVD movie probably set outside the Tomorrowverse
    -Supergirl was in the promo for the Flash
    -Evil mindcontrolled Superman was in the Suicide Squad trailer along with the rest of the JL (minus Batgod of course since he’s “dead”)
    -Conner is seemingly the main POV character with M’gann for the first episodes of S4 of YJ
    -Got a brief teaser for Krypto which looks fun

Think that’s it.
    Plus the 20th anniversary of Smallville.
    No matter how many reboots, new origins, reinterpretations or suit redesigns. In the end, he will always be SUPERMAN

Credit for avatar goes to zclark

Black Belt in Bad Ideas Robanker's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by OpaqueGiraffe17 View Post
    He wasn't really a global hero at the time it was coined. He was firmly in his "American patriarch role model" phase, and it stuck because we saw ourselves as the America we claimed to be (a land of opportunity welcoming the best and brightest).

Thankfully, it seems enough people have realized that "the American way" sounds hostile on foreign shores, and Superman's long since been restricted to our own.
    May we never forget:

Quote Originally Posted by Gaius View Post
    Daddy Zeus can hit the bricks.
    Truer words never spoken.

Since in the comics he's involved with other planets, "American Way" really doesn't work. Superman is more than international!

Superfan Through The Ages BBally's Avatar

This Truth and Justice slogan update has definitely left an "impact" so to speak. The loud reactions both positive and negative is certainly something.

The slogan's history is an interesting one as its use has been very inconsistent as being the "official" slogan until the 1978 film, originally it was "Truth, Tolerance and Justice" on the radio show before being changed to the American Way during World War II, but was changed back once the war was over.

The Fleischer animated shorts only used Truth and Justice, the Kirk Alyn serial has a scene were Pa Kent said Clark should use his powers in the interest of "Truth, Tolerance and Justice".

It wasn't until the George Reeves series when the "Truth, Justice And The American Way" slogan was used again, which has been hailed as popularizing the slogan. However contrary to that popular belief, it wasn't the Superman media that cemented it an iconic part of Superman lore as it wasn't brought back much if at all once the show ended.

Once the 60s rolled around with Filmation's New Adventures of Superman cartoon, the slogan the motto shifted to "Truth, Justice and Freedom".

And then, we had the Super Friends cartoon, which used the slogan "Truth, Justice And Peace For All Mankind".
    It wasn't until the 1978 Richard Donner Superman film starring Christopher Reeve when the "Truth, Justice And The American Way" slogan was properly cemented as the official slogan for the character.

As cynical as this sounds, this whole slogan update is obviously a cooperate marketing strategy due to Superman's universal appeal. It isn't an attempt to be more "progressive" as a lot of supporters seem to think nor is it inspired by "Anti-American" sentiments as a lot of detractors seem to think. It's simply cynical cooperate marketing.

That being said, at least the new slogan still fits the character.

For me personally, whether it's “The American Way” or “A Better Tomorrow”, as long as he’s fighting for “Truth And Justice”, he’s still Superman to me.
    No matter how many reboots, new origins, reinterpretations or suit redesigns. In the end, he will always be SUPERMAN

Credit for avatar goes to zclark

I was first introduced to truth and justice slogan in the Fleischer cartoons. I have no problem with leaving it at that, the American Way, or a better tomorrow. As long as the first two are there, I could care less.