Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by SiegePerilous02 View Post
    I hate that a sweet moment like Clark telling Diana how much their friendship means to him is part of this rancid comic.
    It comes across as somewhat hollow on the heels of a particularly hideous depiction of Superman overpowering her. Shattering her unbreakable bracelets, strangling her/breaking her neck with her own Lasso...
    Her depiction in the Justice League movie was insulting. Getting one-punched in DCeased was infuriating. This was downright vile.

The scene of them together at the end doesn't make it any better. Honestly, it bothers me. It bothers me the same way the end of Justice League...where all the heroes are lined up and smiling and proud of their victory...bothers me. You just pissed all over Wonder Woman and everything she represents, but it's okay. She's smiling. Everyone's happy.

Superman could murder her whenever he wants and there's not a damn thing she can do about it despite being an embodiment of female empowerment...but he feels bad about it, and she gives him a little peck on the cheek. Yay.

I just find it...gross.

And it's a gross depiction of Superman, too. One of the cornerstones of his character is that he has this god-like power and dedicates it to selfless helping others.
    But stuff like this twists it into "Superman is great because he can murder EVERYONE and NO ONE can do anything about it. Aren't you grateful he doesn't?"

Just gross across the board.

BANNED

WW ripped off Superman's spine to use as a weapon, which may explain why the creator and greatest icon of superhero comics is treated in this way. but I guess if it's WW who humiliates Superman, nothing happens.

Astonishing Member WonderLight789's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by NaVi View Post
    WW ripped off Superman's spine to use as a weapon, which may explain why the creator and greatest icon of superhero comics is treated in this way. but I guess if it's WW who humiliates Superman, nothing happens.
    In the meantime. Superman has trashed and killed WW far more often. Sexism has a lot to do with that.

Black Belt in Bad Ideas Robanker's Avatar

Was that overly edgy and dumb? Yes, and I'd argue out of character as well.

I think the reason it mostly bowled over is that most fans recognize Diana is on the other side of that more often than not, so while it's incredibly dumb you also can't fault a pendulum for swinging back in the other direction.
    May we never forget:

Quote Originally Posted by Gaius View Post
    Daddy Zeus can hit the bricks.
    Truer words never spoken.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Robanker View Post
    Was that overly edgy and dumb? Yes, and I'd argue out of character as well.

I think the reason it mostly bowled over is that most fans recognize Diana is on the other side of that more often than not, so while it's incredibly dumb you also can't fault a pendulum for swinging back in the other direction.
    In the injustice WW crushed Superman, in another comic WW rips the heart of Superman, in the new 52 WW I defeat Superman God of strength in seconds, nothing happens. Superman defeats WW in DCeased and everyone talks about humiliating WW. It seems that people will only be happy if every time they see, Superman kneels before WW and starts kissing the ground he steps on, literally.

In the injustice WW crushed Superman, in another comic WW rips the heart of Superman, in the new 52 WW I defeat Superman God of strength in seconds, nothing happens. Superman defeats WW in DCeased and everyone talks about humiliating WW. It seems that people will only be happy if every time they see, Superman kneels before WW and starts kissing the ground he steps on, literally.
    Pretty sure people in the Superman forums do complain about how he's treated in Injustice. Injustice is also one of the most despicable and loathsome portrayals of Wonder Woman's character. Not exactly bragging rights.

Diana using his spine as a weapon was criticized by fans on both this forum and Superman's. In fact, people do often complain when they feel he's been humiliated, and please note, no one here is saying they want him to be humiliated to balance how Diana gets treated. Most would rather they both be respected and treated as equals.

I don't know what fantasy world you're living in where people only complain when Diana is degraded and no one says anything when Superman is mistreated. A brief glance at the Superman forum says quite the opposite.
    But whatever. I guess Wonder Woman fans on the Wonder Woman forum should talk more about Superman and how he's treated.
    Last edited by Guy_McNichts; 10-19-2021 at 11:35 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by John Venus View Post
    I still remember the hordes of dudebros arguing how Angelina Jolie's 'Salt' isn't proof that female led blockbusters can succeed (even though Jolie's entire career up to that point said otherwise).
    The funny part is that Salt was originally supposed to be about a male character played by Tom Cruise.

People complained about that moment too.

Ultimate Member SiegePerilous02's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Guy_McNichts View Post
    Pretty sure people in the Superman forums do complain about how he's treated in Injustice. Injustice is also one of the most despicable and loathsome portrayals of Wonder Woman's character. Not exactly bragging rights.

Diana using his spine as a weapon was criticized by fans on both this forum and Superman's. In fact, people do often complain when they feel he's been humiliated, and please note, no one here is saying they want him to be humiliated to balance how Diana gets treated. Most would rather they both be respected and treated as equals.

I don't know what fantasy world you're living in where people only complain when Diana is degraded and no one says anything when Superman is mistreated. A brief glance at the Superman forum says quite the opposite.
    But whatever. I guess Wonder Woman fans on the Wonder Woman forum should talk more about Superman and how he's treated.
    Certain WW fans do bash Superman over on his forum and come across as if they actually want him to be humiliated in every encounter between them.

But yes, both sets of fans have plenty to complain about. This isn't really the place for Superman fans to adopt a "woe is me" attitude, because WW DOES get mistreated overall way more often and her being a woman means that it often (not always, but often) has a different slant to it that he doesn't receive as a man. But the WW fans don't really have a right to adopt a similar attitude on his board either, because similarly, what response are they logically expecting to get?

Really, the pissing contest on who suffers more is obnoxious. Superman fans aren't asking for WW's treatment in Injustice because they aren't super enthusiastic about how he's treated in that narrative to begin with. A lot of Wonder Woman fans were similarly adopting "WTF" stances with the skull flail from Dead Earth. DC keeps pitting them against each other and the fanbases keep falling for it instead of railing against the actual problem: DC/WB content producers don't respect either character (or respect them in sporadic and often weird ways in regards to Superman), and give us trash.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Guy_McNichts View Post

WW fans on the WW forum have to talk about WW, but for some reason they put Superman everywhere, they always complain about the way WW is treated compared to Superman, but Batman is hardly mentioned .

WW fans on the WW forum have to talk about WW, but for some reason they put Superman everywhere, they always complain about the way WW is treated compared to Superman, but Batman is hardly mentioned .

Have you ever actually been on this forum before?

Ultimate Member SiegePerilous02's Avatar

In fairness, it's usually a handful of people who keep making similar threads.

And Batman is mentioned ALL the time.

Maybe that's because DC keeps pitting Wonder Woman and Superman against each other. Suicide Squad: Kill the Justice League anyone?

Although, DC likes to pit Superman against all the heroes. Wonder Woman is #2 after Batman for Superman hero-fights.

Anyways, Batman isn't really showing up in any Wonder Woman comics, while Superman is on the horizon in Wonder Woman: Evolution with the artist posting a lot of pictures of them. So which of the Worlds Finest are fans are gonna talk about more on this forum?

But yeah, people do mention Batman when it's relevant.
    Last edited by I'm a Fish; 10-19-2021 at 12:08 PM.
    ~I just keep swimming through these threads~

Injustice - Both the games and comics pin WW as the "true" villain of the franchise for pushing Superman into becoming Discount Vader and whose entire motivation revolves wanting to bang him. Good luck finding a WW fan here who will unironically "stan" that version. Her first scene even in that universe is trying to seduce Clark while wearing pretty much curtains for clothes to show off her breasts.

Red Son - Entire motivation revolves around wanting to bang Superman and is made a damsel by Batmankoff for Superman to rescue. Turns on him when it's clear he isn't interested in her romantically and disposed of in no time.

Kingdom Come - Devil on the shoulder to push Superman into more and more hardline actions and her character arc is to be called out by both of the World's Finest.

Infinite Crisis - Thrown under the bus for killing Max Lord and the way the storyline concludes in IC makes it clear she was supposed to see she was wrong, not them for dropping her the moment she became an inconvenience.

DCeased - Unremarkable for 95% of the story except for when Superman one-punched her to death and when Taylor needed to include another scene of Superman lecturing to Diana that "heroes don't kill"

Works of Frank Miller (DKSA, ASBAR, Superman: Year One) - Walking "Feminazi" stereotype who only exists for Superman to assert his masculinity that he loses every time he interacts with Batman.

Matt Wagner's Trinity - Beaten to a bloody pulp by Bizzaro who snaps the lasso while he's at it.

Both of Whedon and Snyder's versions of Justice League - Rag dolled to establish Superman as the top dog of the League.

- - -

Anyways, I agree with what's been brought up by other posters like Siege and Robanker. The skull flail from Dead Earth killed that book for me and I don't get any enjoyment out 90% of the times they fight but don't be surprised that for once the pendulum swung back the other way.
    Last edited by Gaius; 10-19-2021 at 12:35 PM.

BANNED

Talking about Superman because he appears in the WW comics is fine, but talking about Superman for a fight from 20 years ago is not so much.